Gold hunting prospecting tips.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips and little stories for anyone that wants to learn a bit more about chasing the gold. Whether you're a rookie or a Sourdough (a Pro), you might find something to read. My main thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html on the metal detecting for gold page has been up for many years, and it has some tips too along with many, many stories of me out chasing the gold, but it takes a long time to wade through all of the almost 80 pages now.

So, I thought I'd start a thread over here dedicated to more of the tips and techniques on how to find gold, and I may transfer some tips from my older thread over to here as well.

Essential gold fact.
(This fact is one that's often ignored, if not undervalued or forgotten in the rush to find the gold.)

Gold fact: Gold is heavy.

Rookie prospector fact: Most rookies forget this.

Prospecting reality: many "seasoned" prospectors forget this.

Prospecting mantra: never forget that gold is heavy.

(Yes, lead is heavy too, but gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).

For example, if you want to look for gold in a stream, don't start digging in a sandbar. Don't start digging in clay or mud. While it's true that gold will stick to clay, usually if you dig a bunch of clay, you'll get a lot of clay in your pan. . . .

Look at the stream and see where the bigger stuff is collecting.

If you're in an area where there's flour gold (glaciated gold that's been hammered and ground to a powder consistency), look for gravel bars where the rocks are fist-sized and larger. Why? Specific gravity rules specify that if the stream was traveling with enough velocity to carry rocks fist-sized and larger, flour gold was also traveling with them (if there's gold in the stream). Remember? Gold is heavy, so it takes force from water velocity to move it during a flood or during high water. (This also applies to bench deposits and old channels.)

If you're in an area where there's flake and picker gold (or maybe even nuggets), look for a place in the stream where rocks the size of couch cushions or big round watermelons or trashcans were moving during high water. Then, get a vantage point where you can look downstream to see if there's any pattern to their disposition. (I'm referring where the stream is fairly shallow to bedrock or hardpan as the bigger rocks won't disappear as they sink themselves with the stratifying action of the stream. Big, wide, slow moving streams that are deep to bedrock sometimes won't follow the same rules.) Look downstream and if you can see the big rocks lined out (running in a consecutive line downstream from each other) in a linear pattern, each following the others downstream, I'd get in those rocks and start digging. Why? Gold is heavy. Just think about the energy involved in the stream velocity that moved those rocks: pickers and flakes and maybe nuggets were running with that big stuff. Dig, dig, dig. Test, test, test.

Flashback time: When I was working with a large placer operation and they'd hit large boulders (the size of your couch at least, not the cushions), and we were working ground where nuggets were common, everyone would get excited about the possibilities. (I say possibilities because sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks and only drops the big boulders because she shifted the gold run off somewhere else.) So, when those big boulders were moved out of the way, everyone would get down in the pit after the machines were shut down for the day to start panning. (I'd often be panning the material as we went down as well to keep the feedback going to the excavator operator to let him know what size of gold, or how much gold was showing in the pan at the various levels, or in the varying layers of materials as they changed from level to level.)

On one unforgettable day, the gold run was so heavy after the big rocks were moved that we walked along the face of the wall where it met the bedrock (from about two feet above and down to the bedrock that is), and we were able to see the nuggets packed in the gravel and then flick them out of the wall into a pan!

Now I know that some of you are going to think that I was smoking cheap crack, and that there's no way anything like that could ever be possible, but I was there and it happened anyway. Moreover, once you've seen pay with that much gold in it, and once you've experienced a sight like that, you can never forget it either. There was so much gold in the pay layer that because the boss was gone to town for supplies, the sluice crew messed up and fed the sluice at the wrong rate (they fed it as if they were running normal material). The boss arrived back in camp just as the run ended and the crew was just shutting down the wash-plant. To his horror when the water stopped flowing, there were nuggets all the way from the header boxes right to the end of the last riffle in both sluices, and this was a big wash-plant!

So, as you undoubtedly remember (by now in this post) that gold is heavy, what do you think was happening while the nuggets were being deposited all the way to the last riffle in the sluices?

That's right, the nuggets were going over the end of the sluice and heading down into the settling ponds too. What a fiasco! I'll not bore you with the colorful adjectives the boss launched at the sluice crew.

But, what an unimaginable sight regardless. Nuggets from the header boxes all the way to the last riffle!! I had my video camera with me and wanted so badly to shoot video of the sluices; moreover, I had my regular camera with me and wanted to shoot some stills as well, but the investor wouldn't let me do it. He was quite an uptight fellow, to say the least.

Some other miners were working their way down the mountain along our road on their way to cross the river with their equipment, so they could get started on running dirt at their claim. They stopped by to see how things were going. Their jaws hit the ground, hard. They'd never seen the like, and I certainly never have since. Pounds and pounds of beautiful nuggets, with pounds and pounds of galena in all different sizes left to be separated from the gold. (What a pain that was as you can't remove galena with magnets, so it's hard to speed up the cleanup process.)

So, when you're looking for gold, think heavy. Try to think heavy thoughts because gold certainly thinks that way. Moreover, if you're working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock, always, always check the bedrock very carefully. Why? As gold is heavy, and as the stream materials are constantly agitated by the water, the gold will continue to drop through the liquified, moving materials of the stream to eventually come to rest. Why does it stop? It hits something that won't move or give way, and in the case of bedrock, it meets all of the immovable object criteria.

While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold.

(Note: I shot this picture with an underwater camera (the glacial melt water is crystal clear and bone-chilling cold). It's a nugget that's sitting on the bedrock, and the water is moving along at a really good clip. I'd just finished moving and then carefully sucking all of the surrounding material away from the nugget on the bedrock with the dredge nozzle kept far enough away to only move the lighter material. The natural velocity of the water was not a factor when it came to the specific gravity of that chunk of gold: that nugget would not move after it was uncovered! It sat right there. If you look around, you'll see other gold resting in the stream run as well.)

Fun fact: while dredging, I've disturbed gold on the bedrock, but because gold is so heavy, the velocity of the stream drags (and I do mean drags) it along the bedrock until it reaches a crevice, and the gold disappears right quick I can tell you! If it's a good sized nugget, once you uncover it, that sassy chunk of gold will sit there in the water right tight on the bedrock waiting for you to make a move. That's how well gold can resist the velocity of the water. That's why some writers say that gold is "lazy". It's so sluggish because due to its specific gravity that it takes the shortest route between two points. So, if you're in an area with coarse gold, always remember this weighty fact as you're plotting where to test your stream materials. In your head, draw some imaginary lines (straight lines) from point A to point B.

Go to bed tonight reviewing the fact that gold is heavy: almost twenty times as heavy as the water that's transporting it, and almost ten times heavier than the other materials the stream's water is moving along with the gold. Knowing this may just have you rethinking things the next time you're out working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock (or other stream deposits as well).

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

By the way, it's far too cold here right now to chase the gold. So, since I'm snowbound, I'll kick out a few posts from time to time, and at other times I may get a chance to post a few more as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post!

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny,
Once again - thank you. It's amazing how simple fundamentals need to be reinforced occasionally. Even knowing that gold is heavy, I have many times chased crazy ideas by forgetting that fact. I have been caught up in details sometimes and completely ignored the basics. Oh lord, shaking my head! LOL.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny,
Once again - thank you. It's amazing how simple fundamentals need to be reinforced occasionally. Even knowing that gold is heavy, I have many times chased crazy ideas by forgetting that fact. I have been caught up in details sometimes and completely ignored the basics. Oh lord, shaking my head! LOL.

Nicely said about how those fundamentals get put in the back of our minds sometimes instead of staying right up front where they always belong.

Thanks for dropping in and connecting.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good stuff. Lanny, nice to get more of your attention and insight on the forums this time of year. Snow and cold are discouraging me too image-120536397.jpg ...the classic snow on the patio table shot :)
It's making me nuts cause my current hole is really producing and I want to get back into it NOW! LoL
Meanwhile, reading some educational stuff helps a bunch :) thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good stuff. Lanny, nice to get more of your attention and insight on the forums this time of year. Snow and cold are discouraging me too View attachment 939147 ...the classic snow on the patio table shot :)
It's making me nuts cause my current hole is really producing and I want to get back into it NOW! LoL
Meanwhile, reading some educational stuff helps a bunch :) thanks again!

Ah, yes--the classic snow shot, and almost marshmallow-like topping.

Nature sure does know how to make things beautiful in the winter time. I guess it's a makeup call for the nasty cold.

All the best, and thanks for your kinds words and for dropping in,

Lanny

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TYVM Lanny. I am certain this will help me in my pursuit this year. I still get buck fever when it comes to prospecting and I really appreciate getting grounded by the teacher.:notworthy:

Example:

"While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold."

Nature's sluice :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your tips and techniques on how to find gold, are priceless! :occasion14:
:headbang:
You should write a book!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny Thank You for all your help. Can't wait to get back out and put this one to practice.

Goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny here is a pic of the South Fork American River today American River.jpg . Thought you might like to see a river that's not surrounded by snow.....

GM

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just thought I'd post this as a little addition to what I posted earlier. (I dug it out of an older post I made a while back.)

One of the greatest mistakes I see made in gold country by eager rookies is the mistake of not wanting to move the rocks, the ones in the channel, or the ones high-and-dry out of the present channel. I'll see people pecking around the rocks, dipping the tip of their shovels between the rocks to get as much material as they can with minimal effort, but not using the elbow grease necessary to move those rocks!

I especially want to mention the rocks stacked on bedrock, the ones thrown up there by higher, faster moving water. Sure, there's often clay, and maybe roots, and other crap jammed in there that gets in the way, and it's most certainly tough digging, but that's the dance you need to boogie to, to find the good stuff.

I you dig around in the sand and the loose stuff, you'll most often get a little fine gold, and those specks can be pretty, but the better stuff needs some serious moving of nastier material.

The bigger rocks travel with and drop out with the nicer gold. Generally, so do the darker rocks (at least up here)--for some reason, many of the heavier rocks are darker. I know the old timers used to look for darker, stained rocks.

Also, don't be afraid to get to the very bottom of any cracks or crevices you uncover. Trust me, the gold loves to get down there as far as it can--so you should too. Also, watch what's coming out of the crevice. There should be lots of little packed stones and often some clay accompanying them too. Wash evert bit of material very carefully. Break up completely any bits of clay. Mush and mash them around on the bottom of your pan until they dissolve. I've found some very nice gold coated with clay in crevices! And I'm talking pickers and nuggets!!

So, don't be afraid to move those rocks and be exhaustive in your efforts to clean out the cracks and crevices. Remember that specific gravity should be your guide. Most of the time the nicer gold travels with the beefier rocks, the pieces of steel, the lead fishing weights, the oxidized chunks of galena, etc.

I have a story somewhere about some big steel spikes I found about eight inches down in a suction eddy one day. I took that as a great sign and dug to bedrock. I was rewarded with some nice fingernail sized nuggets that were nice and thick to boot! The tip Mother Nature provided that day was that if the bedrock hump that was jutting into the river formed a suction eddy (where the river cuts back on itself in a bit of a whirlpool) that slowed the water enough to spin out those big iron spikes, anything heavy from the precious metal family would drop out as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TYVM Lanny. I am certain this will help me in my pursuit this year. I still get buck fever when it comes to prospecting and I really appreciate getting grounded by the teacher.:notworthy:

Example:

"While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold."

Nature's sluice :thumbsup:

No problem Jeff. Thanks for dropping in.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny here is a pic of the South Fork American River today View attachment 939321 . Thought you might like to see a river that's not surrounded by snow.....

GM
GM--thanks for your earlier quote as well: "Lanny Thank You for all your help. Can't wait to get back out and put this one to practice.

Goldenmojo"

Your picture of the South Fork of the American sure does warm my heart. It's way too cold here right now. I think I'm getting cabin fever. Well, I'm sure I'm getting cabin fever.

Thanks for dropping in and all the best,

Lanny

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
As usual Lanny, great info! You have to love this forum and the folks that are on here. For the most part they're always ready to help a guy out. (and not after asking which way they came in ;) )

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As usual Lanny, great info! You have to love this forum and the folks that are on here. For the most part they're always ready to help a guy out. (and not after asking which way they came in ;) )

So very true! Over the years I have learned many, many things that helped me learn how to find the gold, and sometimes I learned how to find the gold in very challenging circumstances only because people on this forum were willing to give away secrets and hard-earned lessons of how to do just that.

All the best, and thanks for dropping in,

Lanny

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great link Lanny, thank you. Good article got me thinking and I made a few changes to my crevicing pack. Down to 19lbs with sledge and chisel. I Also made a bleach bottle scoop, love it, that thing is light and tough (had to give it the back yard test). I like the idea of ditching the buckets in favor of canvas bags as well. Will need to find a source for the bags and I'll give it a try. There is another article a few lines down on low water sniping that I really enjoyed. I think you may know the author, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread