GOLD RUSH ALASKA season 2

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Mikejts

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Whites
markmopar said:
kuger said:
Is it just me or does the Old Man Hoffmans voice just grate on ya?? :icon_scratch:

My GF says the same thing. She can't stand his voice.

Agreed,,, I know I was taught not to make fun of people but around our house it is a running joke. Every time the show comes on everybody starts talking, nasal, like he does. Makes for a good time.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Mikejts said:
markmopar said:
kuger said:
Is it just me or does the Old Man Hoffmans voice just grate on ya?? :icon_scratch:

Agreed,,, I know I was taught not to make fun of people but around our house it is a running joke. Every time the show comes on everybody starts talking, nasal, like he does. Makes for a good time.

Completely off topic, but I really like your avatar.... I fact, I have a shot of that cabin hanging on my living room wall. I call it "My Dream Home" LOL!

Attachments

• My dream home 005.jpg
    My dream home 005.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 3,528

Mikejts

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Whites
Jeffro said:
Mikejts said:
markmopar said:
kuger said:

Completely off topic, but I really like your avatar.... I fact, I have a shot of that cabin hanging on my living room wall. I call it "My Dream Home" LOL!

If you want to see more photos of the Crystal go here,, http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Crystal.htm My hobby is photographing Ghost towns so my avatar is one of the pictures I took. It is a pretty famous mill. The last time I was in Tok Alaska I ran in to a lady that had that same picture (like yours) on the wall in her cabin. She was a character. She came into the restaurant where I was eating breakfast to talk to the firefighters. She loudly announced, "I don't want any of you guys to get nervous and call the Sheriff if you hear gunshots at night. It will just be me shooting the neighbors dogs that he lets run loose. "Blank" things are always eating the bear food I set out." I spent about an hour with her. She was full of stories about wild animals she ran across and the pigs that inhabited the junk yard next door. Apparently the people that owned the junk yard decided that they could raise pigs amongst the junked cars. She said, "The "blank" things got out and have been having baby pigs all over the woods. Now I have been having pig roasts all summer." Some of those women in Alaska are tough characters.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I really, really enjoy the show, despite the fictional drama and any other short comings.

FWIW, I think Dakota Fred and the Hoffman's had this deal worked out long ago, possibly before the show even started.

Just think about it: Todd has said in many interviews that he pitched his idea for a reality show to producers many times. So, if a show buys his idea, what are you going to do? Tell them you have no claim to mine, or find someone like Earle and Fred who already own a claim and work out a deal to let you mine it?

My guess is that Todd could mine the claim for a while, for the money down, and that Fred already owned it, or already had a deal with Earle struck to buy it.

Let's not forget that the Hoffman's will be commanding lucrative speaking fees for many years to come, even if the claim and show becomes a bust. I bet that Todd can earn some handsome fees by agreeing to show up at events to sign autographs.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy the show!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw on the previews for next week's episode that the Hoffman's are finally going to do a test drill 6 weeks after they already started working :dontknow:

That derocker of Freds is something else. First one I ever saw, can't wait to see it in action.
The Volvo A-25 truck of Parkers is awesome, but at $10,000.00 a month :dontknow: You can buy a good used one for 20K

I like Fred's line " What the H#$$ are you doin' ? "
That's what the Quartz Creek mine owner was asking the Hoffman's after they spent 5 days digging into where the dredge had already been. :laughing7:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Not my first Derocker to see and have seen some Shakers in operation. But it was the first of that type that these eyes ever saw. Not that I am pulling for Freddy Boy, but I would like to see how efficient it is. :icon_scratch:
I would have to see the per ton operating expense (Lease, Fuel, Labor, etc.) of the Volvo A25 compared to the gravel truck. Not there, but I don't know how that youngun can justify $10,000 Month. That would pay for a lot a labor and diesel. Maybe the gravel truck yardish could not keep up with the wash plant? :icon_scratch:

Large claim, where's the gold??? Well lets spend five days and operating expense over yonder. :tongue3:
While watching them walking the claim out and talking about how old the trees were at that location, I told my wife that was not going to be virgin ground. My gosh, it was obvious that was new growth. Those boys are from the Northwest and knew dang well they were not looking at Old Growth. ::)
That said. Being I am stuck here in OK, I am going to watch it and enjoy every single minute. :laughing7

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its painful to listen to these guys!!!How can you stand there and say "my gut tells me this",?!!!!Yea,I could say that too,without any sampling there is no way to know!!!!His numbers are ridiculous too,they will be sorely upset I am afraid!!
Also why are they not using that excavator to break that perma??

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Its painful to listen to these guys!!!How can you stand there and say "my gut tells me this",?!!!!Yea,I could say that too,without any sampling there is no way to know!!!!His numbers are ridiculous too,they will be sorely upset I am afraid!!
Also why are they not using that excavator to break that perma??

Did they not know that the age of a tree can be determined by cutting the trunk and counting the growth rings :icon_scratch:
Also I couldn't keep from laughing when Todd said I don't think the permafrost is as bad on this side of the creek :laughing7:

Todd must not have been paying attention when the claim owner was first showing him the Claim and said "Now over on that side of the creek it's virgin territory"

Like you Kuger I wondered why the old man wasn't using that excavator. :dontknow:
But then I know very little about using heavy equipment.....Probably only about as much as Todd does :laughing7:

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Anyone know where I can see episode 4 and 5. I watched the episode 3 in high def (thanks GoodyGuy) on my phone when i had some free time. Now I just need to see 4 and 5 and I'll be all caught up but I can't find them online anywhere.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1972buick455

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2010
A lot of Fred haters out there, but really, I think that's misplaced anger! Would you, if you were the owner, want those bozos on your claim? Or would you choose someone else? I, for one would want anyone else on it, and Fred is not a bad person. Last season he came out to help, was the only one on the claim with half a clue, and was treated like poop by the Hoffman's. I don't think he's half bad, and I will enjoy every minute watching him, and not the Hoffman's mine this claim. IMHO the Hoffman's could screw up a one horse parade!!! :tongue3:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, the second season, the show stinks... Dakota fred, well I like him, I think todd's group treated him like crap, I mean here was the owner of the mine sending Fred to help them, to even teach them a few things, did they welcome him with open arms..heck no.. did they listen to any advise that Fred gave, NO... then to physically push Fred, I woulda walked out on em..sink or swim is what I woulda said.. Do I feel fred was wrong in buying the claim, heck no, am glad he did, especially after the way they treated him.. Todd and group have absolutely no manners, no common sense and are flat out boring stupid and they deserved everything that came their way on the second season... I know yea yea its a tv show.. but still.. quit the whinning and do what your supposed to do, find gold...

And I to cannot stand the old mans voice, his voice is extremely annoying to me.. just my two cents.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally!!! The Hoffman's did some test sampling :hello2:

Something that Fred and Parker should be doing!

On tonight's after show, Dave Turin kind of spilled the beans if you listened close.

Did anyone else notice that now the Dakota boys are down to just Fred and son :dontknow:

*Behind the scenes
Federal mine regulators have a field day cracking down on Dakota Fred and Parker Schnabel!
http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/story.asp?Story=1592&Inspections-halt-Schnabel,-TV-mines

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda funny GG. I suppose the EPA won't be far behind. I can hear the Discovery Channel representatives now: "We're not a mining concern. We're a TV show!" ;D

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
Kinda funny GG. I suppose the EPA won't be far behind. I can hear the Discovery Channel representatives now: "We're not a mining concern. We're a TV show!" ;D
I dont see how they have not paid Hoffmans a visit!!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:

They did when they were at Porcupine Creek AK. Now they are in Dawson City Canada.
Perhaps the Canadians are more miner friendly :dontknow:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
kuger said:

They did when they were at Porcupine Creek AK. Now they are in Dawson City Canada.
Perhaps the Canadians are more miner friendly :dontknow:

Good point.I know when I was taking my Erosion control cert. there was a fellow taking it from Malaysia,I guess they are hoping to be even more strict than the U.S.!!I need to look into Canadas regs.Its still "our",enviro in the end,and I am not for over reg but dang!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I just can't get into this show. I expected to see some actual gold being found not 55 minutes of drama and 5 minutes of panning concentrates. It would be more interesting if they would just make a 2 hour documentary of the whole mining season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread