Gold Well Vortex Sluice

The quality of the build on the Gold Well is superior. It's probably not the sluice you want for inexpensive casual stream prospecting and I couldn't possibly compare it to the highly respected Bazooka design since I've never used a Bazooka.

All that said plastic sluices will never stand up to my miners test. Any equipment we use has to be able to keep on working after I drop a 60 pound rock on it from waist high. The Gold Well passes that test and none of the other sluices mentioned here will do that.

There may be better sluice designs to capture every small piece of gold. I wouldn't know because that's never been my objective in mining. When our crews mine the only objective is to make sure everyone goes home with expenses and wages at the least - hopefully much more. To do that maximum uptime is necessary. Plastic production equipment just doesn't cut it in that scenario.

Most people that post here are looking for the best return for their time spent. So am I but I've found it's more productive for me to spend time finding really good deposits and mining them for the bulk of their potential - not every particle. Our mining philosophy would not prove to be a good model in Colorado or Iowa, that's why we mine where the little stuff doesn't pay as well as the big stuff. Different methods and tools for different situations.

Maybe someday the Gold Well will be available molded in light plastic and we will all know how it compares in price and performance with other plastic molded sluices. I hope if that day ever comes it doesn't mean that the Gold Well will no longer made in it's current miner tough form. There are plenty of plastic sluice designs to choose from but it's a rare manufacturer who produces sluices to withstand the rigors of production mining. That's why you are seeing the Gold Well on so many large mining operations.

It's obvious that many here have chosen their favorite sluice and feel they must "defend" that choice against other options. That's human nature. Comparing apples to oranges and choosing apples is also human nature. The price of the Gold Well really should only be considered in relation to it's value to an individual miner's needs. Comparing the Bazooka, or any other plastic sluice, to the Gold Well based on price and recovery rates alone is unfair. Bring in that 60 pound rock or two years of hard production and the equation has a whole new dimension.

It's understandable that price may make the Gold Well undesirable to some prospectors. It should also be understood that some miners look less at price and more at value over time. The Gold Well works. It's tough light and portable. And it takes the abuse that full time mining is known for. In that realm of tough mining is the Gold Well overpriced? No. It's right in the price range of other tough built mining sluices.

I don't own a Gold Well and I wont even consider buying one until our present equipment is worn out. I don't know the maker and I won't make a penny if you decide to buy one. Even so I do have a dog in this fight. I'd really like to see more robust mining equipment available. It's rare to see new designs made to a quality level that survives hard mining. You may not like the makers attitude or the way he compares your favorite equipment to the equipment he makes. That's cool. Just please don't make him out to be a bad guy or a crook. He makes quality equipment at an honest price. That's priceless these days.

Uh... LP13... I've got mining books from the 1900 that state the Hungarian Riffle has been the standard in the industry. Long before what you presume was the "invention" date in the 1940's.

Carry on.

"I don't own a Gold Well and I wont even consider buying one until our present equipment is worn out. I don't know the maker and I won't make a penny if you decide to buy one. Even so I do have a dog in this fight. I'd really like to see more robust mining equipment available. It's rare to see new designs made to a quality level that survives hard mining. You may not like the makers attitude or the way he compares your favorite equipment to the equipment he makes. That's cool. Just please don't make him out to be a bad guy or a crook. He makes quality equipment at an honest price. That's priceless these days."

...excellent points Clay. He's certainly not a bad guy for making commercial grade equipment. Personally, I'd say the way he talks about other manufacturers' products negatively and promotes his products to the wrong clientele (casual miners in this case) is unacceptable on this forum. I hope he continues to make commercial grade equipment and to sell it on its merits and to the appropriate customers...is that too much to ask in this day of public and open communications?

Last edited:
I love the fact that people like the gold well company have the wherewithal to keep inventing new things to mine with and to push the envelope. I'm new to gold prospecting and I'm amazed at the innovations coming forward. Makes me wonder what's coming in the future and that is very enticing. As far as companies comparing equipment and recovery and whatever , that's what make free enterprise so great. Do some of us cross the line and bash a competitor. Hell yea and it won't ever stop. That's their issue. What I like is being able to see touch and use such great inventions. We all bashed the gremlin car back in the day but I still drove it to school for a year. Lol. My best memories in that car as a kid. But it sucked was ugly and coulda blew up in a collision. Lol. But it worked and got me to school. Kudos to the gd well folks for showing how innovative and special American inventors can be. Good luck gold well and someday I hope I do have a need for such a rugged industrial piece of equipment.

The quality of the build on the Gold Well is superior. It's probably not the sluice you want for inexpensive casual stream prospecting and I couldn't possibly compare it to the highly respected Bazooka design since I've never used a Bazooka.

All that said plastic sluices will never stand up to my miners test. Any equipment we use has to be able to keep on working after I drop a 60 pound rock on it from waist high. The Gold Well passes that test and none of the other sluices mentioned here will do that.

There may be better sluice designs to capture every small piece of gold. I wouldn't know because that's never been my objective in mining. When our crews mine the only objective is to make sure everyone goes home with expenses and wages at the least - hopefully much more. To do that maximum uptime is necessary. Plastic production equipment just doesn't cut it in that scenario.

Most people that post here are looking for the best return for their time spent. So am I but I've found it's more productive for me to spend time finding really good deposits and mining them for the bulk of their potential - not every particle. Our mining philosophy would not prove to be a good model in Colorado or Iowa, that's why we mine where the little stuff doesn't pay as well as the big stuff. Different methods and tools for different situations.

Maybe someday the Gold Well will be available molded in light plastic and we will all know how it compares in price and performance with other plastic molded sluices. I hope if that day ever comes it doesn't mean that the Gold Well will no longer made in it's current miner tough form. There are plenty of plastic sluice designs to choose from but it's a rare manufacturer who produces sluices to withstand the rigors of production mining. That's why you are seeing the Gold Well on so many large mining operations.

It's obvious that many here have chosen their favorite sluice and feel they must "defend" that choice against other options. That's human nature. Comparing apples to oranges and choosing apples is also human nature. The price of the Gold Well really should only be considered in relation to it's value to an individual miner's needs. Comparing the Bazooka, or any other plastic sluice, to the Gold Well based on price and recovery rates alone is unfair. Bring in that 60 pound rock or two years of hard production and the equation has a whole new dimension.

It's understandable that price may make the Gold Well undesirable to some prospectors. It should also be understood that some miners look less at price and more at value over time. The Gold Well works. It's tough light and portable. And it takes the abuse that full time mining is known for. In that realm of tough mining is the Gold Well overpriced? No. It's right in the price range of other tough built mining sluices.

I don't own a Gold Well and I wont even consider buying one until our present equipment is worn out. I don't know the maker and I won't make a penny if you decide to buy one. Even so I do have a dog in this fight. I'd really like to see more robust mining equipment available. It's rare to see new designs made to a quality level that survives hard mining. You may not like the makers attitude or the way he compares your favorite equipment to the equipment he makes. That's cool. Just please don't make him out to be a bad guy or a crook. He makes quality equipment at an honest price. That's priceless these days.

As a former machinist I can appreciate precision machining and can almost smell every $%^@ing detail of the gold well production area, from the bandsaw to the CNC input program and or tape. :)

What similarly priced industrial sluice are you running now that holds up to your 60 lb rock test, and why would you replace it with the gold well? And what model of gold well would you pick to replace your current setup?

If you are running rocks that big in your sluice I think a video of your setup would be awesome! Is it a de-rocker setup like the dakota boys have?
What's wrong with Colorado and Iowa? We have lots of gold here in Colorado!

I wonder how much it would take to crush each sluice. If that's the game I bet gold hog could come out a winner :)

I haven't ever heard the quality being an issue, quite the contrary. It seems as though the price is an issue to some but nothing to make most dislike or disagree with anyone. The problem seems to stem from a lack of communicating in a way that doesn't degrade or demean other manufactures or users wether intended or not. Now as a guy who likes to dig holes, by myself, in the middle of nowhere I am as guilty as anyone of not communicating clearly. I however am not trying to sell you or anyone anything. Seldom have I heard a successful small business using public relations tactics like those I've seen here. In my previous post I was simply trying to point out that passionately defending your this product may actually be hurting your reputation. Having a proof read from a trustworthy friend who can objectively check what you write could be a solution to these misunderstandings. It would be great to be reading posts about the success of your product instead of the controversy of your posts.
Good luck!

Clay, I could very easily be in error. My memory ain't what it used to be that's for sure! I can't really tell you even where I gleaned that information on the Hungarian riffle. Vaguely I recall some sort of scholarly mining article I read some years back. Thanks for the correction. I will get back in the books and re-learn a few things before I spout more incorrect facts.

As a former machinist I can appreciate precision machining and can almost smell every $%^@ing detail of the gold well production area, from the bandsaw to the CNC input program and or tape. :) What similarly priced industrial sluice are you running now that holds up to your 60 lb rock test, and why would you replace it with the gold well? And what model of gold well would you pick to replace your current setup? If you are running rocks that big in your sluice I think a video of your setup would be awesome! Is it a de-rocker setup like the dakota boys have? What's wrong with Colorado and Iowa? We have lots of gold here in Colorado! I wonder how much it would take to crush each sluice. If that's the game I bet gold hog could come out a winner

We run different equipment depending on the deposit Prospector70. Our current production sluice in New Mexico is a homemade 12" x 5' that was partially constructed out of a 151 drywasher body. The bed of the sluice is steel. It's big but it will run a lot of material quickly and it works well.

We don't run 60 pound rocks in our system. Not many 60 pound nuggets where we mine so there is no sense in processing them. :laughing7: Nonetheless big rocks fall on equipment at least once in the equipments lifetime. It's the nature of mining that big rocks get lifted above equipment sometimes. Paying twice for a sluice while waiting days for a replacement is a real killer on a miners income. A derocker is nice but it's way over the top for our small crew. We have several homemade pipe grizzleys we use when digging and stacking material to be run. Simple, cheap, portable, affordable, easily repaired and effective. Not TV stuff but it's what most small placer miners use.

What's wrong with Iowa is that any real gold miner couldn't buy a tank of gas with a years worth of diggins. :)

What's wrong with Colorado is we have no experience getting gold that small in quantity. Others might thrive there but our crew would have a steep learning curve to succeed.

As far as recovery units in the GoldWell price range there are several. Check out Keene for example. I think it odd that prospectors will put out $6000 for a metal detector or $5000 for a dredge or $2000 for a highbanker or $1500 for a drywasher but find it expensive to spend less than all of those for a sluice. Rocks (and full buckets) do get dropped on equipment even when the prospector is "casual". Paying for equipment that survives the expected is pretty high up on my list when buying.

A Bazooka may be made out of "plastic" but I am guessing it will stand up to a 60lb boulder as well as a gold well and if you do have to replace it, it is less than half the price. I throw some pretty damn big rocks on my Bazookas and have had no ill effects. Granted none have weighed 60 lbs yet. I dont know what the comparisons are about they are two different products. The Goldwell looks great for running cons and such but if you have to pack that thing and all that goes with it a couple of miles your screwed.

The solution is you guys at gold well need to let prospector70 and I demo one of your sluices this summer. You would get better feedback and some dang good videos. At this point it's your best bet to get good publicity. To be honest if it works and can last 20 years of sluicing then I damn sure could sell a bunch of em.

No no, I'm telling you if I try to get another sluice my wife will: flip. out.(She'll change her mind once I start making this shiny stuff into baubles and whimsy for her though) :)
Sure be nice to see some water and dirts pouring down on of these babies though! Keep up the great work everyone, digging season is upon us!
Who would have ever thought washing dirt would make us all this happy? :D

That Be Me! Were just coming out of thr R&D mode to produce a product. Not trying to be 1st to market or make claims we can't back up. Were going to be feild testing at Gibbs Eddy in Idaho for the !st run at the end of the month. Have done a pile of shop testing. Its ready to fly now! Yes this is for real & has attracted some attention intesting folks......

What sizes are they making as the ones I've seen are certainly not for large scale mining, unless he's making special order sluices for the large scale mining operations. What large scale mines are they being used on? certainly your not talking about the TV show's as I've only see them using it as a cleanup sluice, which in that case would be a very costly setup for a cleanup sluice and they aren't marketing it as a cleanup sluice.

The plates we make are 6" and 12". People don't understand unless they have seen a Gold Well work, that they process more material faster than a standard style sluice, so a 6" Gold Well can process as much or more material per hour than say a 14" hungarian riffle style sluice. We have 18" plates available that are designed for high water flow environments (retrofit into existing operations). Two 18" plates can be built into a framework to create a 36" wide sluice. Pockets are nearly 1" deep and 2" diameter. 6 & 12" plates can be scrubbed out in high water velocity situations and work best when operated in accordance to our specifications on water velocity (hence not a good retrofit option for an existing system). But the 18" plates are configured to work in high water flow situations and may work very well in retrofit large operations. To clean them you just lift the individual plates out with a handle and rinse them in a tub, then set them back in. Did that answer your question?

Yep didn't know you made them that big and I didn't see using the 10" size for heavy production on the big operations, but a few rows of those 18" and I'm sure that would more than do the trick. Not that I'll ever even see a big operation in person but it sure would be nice one day and here in this state there's no need for something that big.

I just recently purchased the three foot gold well sluice. I tested it out for the first time today and I was impressed. Literally my jaw dropped on how much fine gold this sluice keeps in the box. I've been prospecting for around 7 years now in Ohio which is pretty much all fine gold. Now I'm wondering how much gold shot out the end of my old Jobe sluice. I've never had that much fine gold in my old sluice. I'm going to test it some more tomorrow with my Jobe sluice set up and the gold well catching the tailings.
The only thing that I didn't like about the gold well were the legs. They were very awkward to deal with. I think I'm going to try to make my own.

Didn't get to do further testing due to the weather, so I went through my cons three times. This sluice produces very little concentrates. I'm finding more gold every time I go through them. I've never recovered gold this small before so I'm a little excited.

There is lots to love about that Gold Well! I hope to make a gem expedition to Colorado soon to finance my lust for more Gold gear.

I just recently purchased the three foot gold well sluice. I tested it out for the first time today and I was impressed. Literally my jaw dropped on how much fine gold this sluice keeps in the box. I've been prospecting for around 7 years now in Ohio which is pretty much all fine gold. Now I'm wondering how much gold shot out the end of my old Jobe sluice. I've never had that much fine gold in my old sluice. I'm going to test it some more tomorrow with my Jobe sluice set up and the gold well catching the tailings.
The only thing that I didn't like about the gold well were the legs. They were very awkward to deal with. I think I'm going to try to make my own.

Nice to hear it is working well for you. About the legs. We make them 2 part because we don't want to provide 4 spear points for people to trip and skewer themselves on. The legs collapse into themselves so nothing protrudes out the top. However, I am not overly fond of the current leg system myself. What kind of improvement would you like to see in them? I once considered a friction two part leg, but the lack of positive locking made me disregard the notion. Most friction systems (like the locks on a tripod leg) don't work too good in a wet, dirty environment. If anyone knows of a good positive locking (can't slip even under a lot of pressure) telescopic leg system that isn't complex, PM me. I am always trying to find ways to improve the Gold Well.

Right now I am looking at putting a Highbanker together..... Considering what your getting for your money I dont think the Goldwell is overpriced at all. I like the hoppers from some of the other manufacturers better though. Will a Keene, Proline or Jobe hopper fit on the Goldwell Sluice?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back