What's new

Gold Wire Ring-Tested

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this ring today in the same area where I have found Civil War items, Rev. War items, and a 1600s Spectacle buckle. The ring is made of strands of gold wire. Even though it needs to be cleaned, the 1 or 2 areas I did clean, showed bright gold after scraping/cleaning, but I think it is plated. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WireRing1.webp
    WireRing1.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 641
  • WireRing2.webp
    WireRing2.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 636
  • WireRing3.webp
    WireRing3.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 624
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

I don't have the slightest idea about it but it is nice.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Wow! That is a cool ring! Nice find :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Looks pretty clean to me. What did you clean it with? Looks like a good find to me...
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Noodle said:
Looks pretty clean to me. What did you clean it with? Looks like a good find to me...

Noodle, basically that is the way it came out of the ground. I cleaned one or two of the green/brown areas and used (this is gonna bring some eye rolls) a cardboard emory board very lightly, then dipped it in jewelry cleaner. Whenever I get some time, I think the other areas will clean up nicely too. Thanks ya'll for the kudos, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Ruby? Any stampings/engravings anywhere on it? Sure looks like gold to me.. :thumbsup: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Breezie, what an interesting and unusual ring. I suspect it is gold plated however due to the green spots and the difficulty in cleaning it.

Do you have any idea of what the stone might be?
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

thrillathahunt said:
Breezie, what an interesting and unusual ring. I suspect it is gold plated however due to the green spots and the difficulty in cleaning it.

Do you have any idea of what the stone might be?

Thrilla, I'm not sure about the stone, but I'm thinking synthetic. I thought I would do some research on the stone tomorrow. The style is calledWire Wrapped. This handmade style has been around since dirt, and they are still being made. They use no solder. As far as cleaning is concerned, it really wasn't that hard. I cleaned the 2nd area with a Q-tip dipped in jewelry cleaner and it came off as well as when I used the emory board. Basically I used the emory board to see if I could rub off the gold, but it was the same color underneath. I do think this ring has some age to it because of the depth, where I found it, and its unique design.

I don't know if it was made for a man or woman. It is huge, at least a size 11 or 12. Hopefully a jewelry person will see the post and shed some light. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

hint size 11 or 12 bet on a mans ring --or one really big gal -- looks manish to me .
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

ivan salis said:
hint size 11 or 12 bet on a mans ring --or one really big gal -- looks manish to me .
Ivan, yes, I thought man's ring too because of the size, but it looks somewhat gawdy to be a man's ring, plus it is extremely soft. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

I have a few rings with large stones in them --the softness factor might be due to the gold % and the fact its made of thin wire rather than cast gold .
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Please have it tested for purity and let us know. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Yes, I'll have it tested this coming week, and will let everyone know. Thanks to all for your interest and help. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Probably was owned by a gentleman of means. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

I can't answer exactly what and where, but I likey!!!!

It may be worth getting it checked out, as it seems like you think it MAY be something, and from what I've seen, you have a good eye, Breezie.


B
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

thrillathahunt said:
Breezie, what an interesting and unusual ring. I suspect it is gold plated however due to the green spots and the difficulty in cleaning it.

Do you have any idea of what the stone might be?

what a beauty..but it looks gold plated..
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

that is a nice ring. if it's really soft, I'd lean towards 24k
I did see one similar to that at my buddies pawn shop, however, it was
one continuous piece of wire
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Very Nice !!! I'm going to guess Gold with a Ruby. Also going to guess some age from the lack of Facets in the stone. You just don't see them like this very often.

Good Find, and let us know on the tests.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

LaZoOro said:
thrillathahunt said:
Breezie, what an interesting and unusual ring. I suspect it is gold plated however due to the green spots and the difficulty in cleaning it.

Do you have any idea of what the stone might be?

what a beauty..but it looks gold plated..

agreed plated, & 1970s.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

CRUSADER said:
LaZoOro said:
thrillathahunt said:
Breezie, what an interesting and unusual ring. I suspect it is gold plated however due to the green spots and the difficulty in cleaning it.

Do you have any idea of what the stone might be?

what a beauty..but it looks gold plated..

agreed plated, & 1970s.

:icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom