What's new

Gold Wire Ring-Tested

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this ring today in the same area where I have found Civil War items, Rev. War items, and a 1600s Spectacle buckle. The ring is made of strands of gold wire. Even though it needs to be cleaned, the 1 or 2 areas I did clean, showed bright gold after scraping/cleaning, but I think it is plated. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WireRing1.webp
    WireRing1.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 641
  • WireRing2.webp
    WireRing2.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 636
  • WireRing3.webp
    WireRing3.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 624
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Now that is one fine looking ring you found Breezie! nice work! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out to be the real deal, get it tested and let us know, and please hurry as I don't want my fingers stuck this way for long! HH. :icon_thumleft:

Chuck.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

I had a pair of gold loop earrings back in the 60s that a friend brought back for me from Vietnam. So solid gold they warped when I handled them just trying to put them in. I gave them to my niece. Wish I had 'em back... :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Sniffer said:
that is a nice ring. if it's really soft, I'd lean towards 24k
I did see one similar to that at my buddies pawn shop, however, it was
one continuous piece of wire
If it were 24k it would be the colour of Butter, very nice ring it is :o but as outhers have said...plated :'(

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Probably a garnet and orential made. 1960-70 time frame. Could be earlier, but doubt it.
DG
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Gold-filled wire. Circa 1960's, with a glass "stone".
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

dg39 said:
Probably a garnet and orential made. 1960-70 time frame. Could be earlier, but doubt it.
DG
:icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

I have made rings similiar to that.. wirewrapped jewelry.. I made two types.. the ones I sold were made with gold filled wire...but the simple easy one I made for myself was made out of 14kt. gold wire with one cultured pearl in it.. so my suggestion is have it tested.. but am betting its gold filled, as thats a lot of wire used in that ring.. I had only purchased 12 inches of 14kt gold wire and it cost me a arm and a leg and that was at least 15 yrs ago.. so again, have it tested and I honestly do not think its that old of a find..
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

:wave: Breezie Just wanted to let you know that is one nice ring. Great find...CONGRATS!

:wink: RR
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

author=CRUSADER: You call Vintage in the US anything over 25 years, in my experience of looking at sales.

So CRUS, are you 'vintage' or 'antique?' LOL . . :laughing7: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A ring made from gold wire?

Breezie said:
author=CRUSADER: You call Vintage in the US anything over 25 years, in my experience of looking at sales.

So CRUS, are you 'vintage' or 'antique?' LOL . . :laughing7: Breezie

'Vintage', as Antique under UK desciptions is over 100 years!
 
Upvote 0
Okay folks, I had the ring tested today by a Gemologist; we have BAD news and GOOD news. The bad news it is gold-filled with a synthetic stone. The good news it is an older ring probably from the 1920s-30s. Thanks to all, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Still a cool find. Maybe you'll get the real thing next time.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Still a cool find. Maybe you'll get the real thing next time.

I concur with the above. :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
 
Upvote 0
As Elvis would say, 'thank you, thank you, thank you very much!' :laughing7: Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom