What's new

Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button - Further update!

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,310
Reaction score
48,565
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun & I returned to the Papal Bulla Field to finish it off. Which we did (except 20% of the low unproductive land) in about 5.5 hours. Dad joined us for 3 hours & by the end of the day (7 hours), we had totalled 10 man hours. (not including Shaun7 who will post his 7 hours worth soon)

Things didn't get interesting until we decided to do a bit of coin shooting in the small field next to the car, it has a footpath across it leading to an old ferry river crossing.

Dad got an outstanding 1697 Shilling almost off the bat, then a lovely 'Love Token' type coin with RMS Arzila:
Royal Mail Steam Packet Company brought her in 1908:
http://www.searlecanada.org/sunderland/images/arzila2.jpg
See post card above of the Ship. If this one could talk, I think it must be from a crew member to their loved one?

2 Roman Coins (1 pictured in mud)
2 Late Medieval Buckles
Lead Token (maybe Boy Bishop which would be my first)

Plus I found what has to be my best conditioned Pewter button ever :o
43rd Regiment of Foot - late 18th Century :headbang:
Involved in the Rev War where they were captured at Yorktown in 1781.
 

Attachments

  • a.webp
    a.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 626
  • b.webp
    b.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 621
  • 7.webp
    7.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 596
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 595
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 598
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    67.8 KB · Views: 595
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 615
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 8.webp
    8.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

fathead said:
Nice job. Could the unidentified object that Crudad brought home be one side of a hand grinder stand? We used to have a small cast iron grinder that was supported by something like that. It looks like it has two feet.

Just a guess.

As usual, your daily "rubbish" is nicer than anything I have found, not to mention all of your keepers. So I am back to the research. My goal is to find one item this year that gets a nod from across the pond.

-Fathead

Could be, thats better than the blank I can think of.

Research will pay off, so I'll watch & wait :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

Nice one Cru :icon_thumleft:, I really like the button, it's in a lot better condition than the one I found when you came down, and the love token is the best I've seen. Imagine the time it took to make. Give Cru'Dad a big well done from me.

hammered
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

hammered said:
Nice one Cru :icon_thumleft:, I really like the button, it's in a lot better condition than the one I found when you came down, and the love token is the best I've seen. Imagine the time it took to make. Give Cru'Dad a big well done from me.

hammered
Cheers,
I can't get over how the button stayed in such good nick, almost like it was never in the ground :o
The Arzila is a 1 off special, nicer than the average coin.
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

CRUSADER said:
hammered said:
Nice one Cru :icon_thumleft:, I really like the button, it's in a lot better condition than the one I found when you came down, and the love token is the best I've seen. Imagine the time it took to make. Give Cru'Dad a big well done from me.

hammered
Cheers,
I can't get over how the button stayed in such good nick, almost like it was never in the ground :o
The Arzila is a 1 off special, nicer than the average coin.


That is just stunning condition! Grey and the complete edge.... and on a great button! It all amounts to one very rare dug find!
 

Attachments

  • banner_monkey.webp
    banner_monkey.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 423
  • banner_monkey.webp
    banner_monkey.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 424
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

I was thinking that with rarity and condition, had you found it and not your dad, I would definitely have voted banner. Get Cru'Dad signed up :icon_thumleft:.

hammered
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

Great digs Cru! That love token is sweet, and I cant believe the condition of that pewter button. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

mainer said:
Great digs Cru! That love token is sweet, and I cant believe the condition of that pewter button. :thumbsup:

Its the next morning & I still can't believe it 8)
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

nice hunt!! that ship coin! any research on the name of it??? willy
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

Great finds that button is awesome :icon_thumleft: Good hunting Dd60
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

dfx willy said:
nice hunt!! that ship coin! any research on the name of it??? willy

The research is in post 1.
 
Re: Good Day with Shaun7...UPDATED - Cleaned Button

Love the token and the 43rd button of the American Rev War era button is super! Maybe a Clamshell was draped over it in the field protecting it for you to find! :icon_thumright:

That button possibly has many campaigns of history under its belt, the 43rd was here in the beginning at Bunker Hill and many other campaigns and yes also at Yorktown!! :headbang:

Lexington-Concord, Bunker Hill; NYC Long Island; Ft Washington; Newport, Rhode Island; Philadelphia; Elizabethtown, NJ; Staten Island NY; Green Spring Va; and the surrender at Yorktown. Wow, some history!!!!

Don
 
UPDATE:

Just had a response on the date of the button, as other than knowing it was 18th C I was clueless on the date range. This is the reply from an expert:

'Very nice specimen indeed. It is the pattern used between 1775-84. It's possible it was used also as early as 1768 and a few years after 1784.'

Very pleased with this, its unlikely I will find a better pewter button in another 20 years of hunting :thumbsup:
 
CRUSADER said:
UPDATE:

Just had a response on the date of the button, as other than knowing it was 18th C I was clueless on the date range. This is the reply from an expert:

'Very nice specimen indeed. It is the pattern used between 1775-84. It's possible it was used also as early as 1768 and a few years after 1784.'

Very pleased with this, its unlikely I will find a better pewter button in another 20 years of hunting :thumbsup:



Well worth a couple of trips there then :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom