247.3 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010069.JPG
    P1010069.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 113

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Couldn't use the link for the note.
collectors are very different, I knew one that would buff each token clean. But generally light cleaning is best.
rarity is key, few would not buy a rare token harshly cleaned if truly rare, but many would pass on one that they could expect to find later or elsewhere uncleaned.
I looked for "A.E. Berry" Virginia on the internet & found it may have been a mill.
nice variety of planchet shape

Intimer

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't find the merchant listed in the new Virginia trade tokens book. Could you please sort out the most photogenic of each variety and take individual close-up pics of each side so they can be recorded for posterity on tokencatalog.com?
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
collectors are very different, I knew one that would buff each token clean. But generally light cleaning is best.
rarity is key, few would not buy a rare token harshly cleaned if truly rare, but many would pass on one that they could expect to find later or elsewhere uncleaned.
I looked for "A.E. Berry" Virginia on the internet & found it may have been a mill.

Intimer
Thanks so much for this information, Intimer.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I don't find the merchant listed in the new Virginia trade tokens book. Could you please sort out the most photogenic of each variety and take individual close-up pics of each side so they can be recorded for posterity on tokencatalog.com?
John in the Great 208

I will be happy to....but it may take me a while--very busy!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008

Intimer

Sorry about the link, Intimer. It was a small, typewritten note that had been laminated. It reads as follows:" Jim Grove's maternal grandfather, A.E. Berry, owned a country store in Springhill, Va., west of Staunton in the early 1900's and used this brass 'scrip' for his employees. We have had them polished and made into earrings and pendants for our family and dear friends. You are certainly worth more to us than what is imprinted!

With love from Margaret and Jim Grove."

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay jhammer, I'm not sure I follow the connection between these tokens and Frank's Mill but if they are connected I would love to see them or maybe buy one.
My grandparents lived very close to this mill and I have been there many times as a child. Here is a flour sack from there. If they are connected please pm me. I would love to see them. Thanks
310f5a8bfa3c7b6597d74749f4f0db62.jpg

HH RN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread