What's new

Got a call I hoped would NEVER come...but sniffed out a NICE seated dime today.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
4,062
Reaction score
1,077
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call late last night from my dad...and it was a call I was hoping would never come. The dreaded time is finally here...and his kidneys are down to 9% function. He must go in for emergency surgery very soon to install the port to begin dialysis. ???

We were initially told as soon as Monday or Tuesday of next week...but he is so weak he needs an iron transfusion first...and an abdomen scan....so the surgery will most likely be towards the end of next week.

For cryin' out loud...he just recoverd from a car reck as of 2 days ago. ???

We all knew this day was coming though...and he had been fighting it off for over 1 1/2 years now. While pops has plenty of fight left in him...his kidneys do not.

Life will really change as we know it.

Feel like I just lost mom yesterday...and am not ready to deal with this.

Did two things this morning...ordered a Whites XLT which is one of my all time favorite detectors. My dad always loved it and hunted with me...so I got one on the way. We're gonna' get some nice personal hunt time in while he can...and try to enjoy life. He always liked the xlt...so he's gonna' get one as a present from me. :icon_thumleft:

Second thing I did this morning...went CRAZY with depression worrying about him...what it will do to his very active lifestyle...and also if he will be able to deal with the dialysis properly.

Because of the worrying...I needed an outlet to clear my head and keep the depression from digging any further.I decided to hunt for a few hours...and about 9:30 this morning...off I went.

E-Trac?....SE?...nope...the Explorer 2 looked lonely...and I decided to pop the 12" Sunray coil on it and take it for a spin.

I headed to another beat up park...but absolutely did not care whether I found anything ot not...seriously.

Got nothing the first hour at this park...but I have pulled some nice coins from here...and usually in crap or iron...so I knew the potential was there.

Finally got a crappy injun' sounding hit but it pinpointed 6" away from the center...so I dug a big plug.

I dug sown about 8" and ran the probe...NOTHING. ???

I dug it a little deeper and wider and finally got a hit with the probe way off to the bottom side where a very nice 1902 Injun' showed it's face from 4" back into the side :occasion14: ..so it was on edge.

About an hour later...I had only 3 rusty nails to go along with the Injun' :laughing7: ...but I still had an hour to go.

I then got another squeaker but it hit in only one tiny spot.

Problem is...the last 3 nails I dug hit almost the same way 8) ..but I gave them a shot even though they did not have much "warble" to them.

They also did not give a two way repeating tiny sweet spot signal...they only sounded sweet from one direction...and that's iron 90% of the time.

I like these type of hits. While it was not a two way repeater...I knew this type of hit had a shot at being a coin hiding in iron...because of what I described

I dug down about 9" and saw a big chunk of iron about 3" in diameter. What I saw just barely peeking out made my skin tingle though. :blob1:

I could just slightly make out a tiny spot of silver. In fact I would say about 85% to 90% of this baby was coverd up by the iron...as you can see from the rust stain which all but covers the entire area

The one little "non rusted" area at the top right is all that was not engulfed by the iron. :hello2:
I plucked it out and could see it was going to be a nice one.

I brought it home and wiped it with a little lemon luice to remove the rust stain...and you see what it turned out like...very nice.

I really needed to clear my head this morning...and am so thankful for this hobby. :wink:

I only hope my pops gets to enjoy it with me before he gets any worse. I am just not ready for it.

A few of you have asked me to hunt...and I would love to hunt with many of you...but now you know why I can't travel any distance to do so.

Mom's health got bad...then I lost her. Now Dad's health is deteriorating fast...so it's gonna' be rough all over again.

I just don't like to get too far from home because of his health...just as it was with my mom. :angel7:

Not sure what's gonna'' happen from here...so please keep him in your thoughts.

We only get ONE Mom and Dad fellers' and gals' ...so enjoy them if you still have them to enjoy :angel7: ...and don't ever take them for granted.

Metal detecting can wait...family can't :angel7:
 

Attachments

  • coins127.webp
    coins127.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,550
  • coins128.webp
    coins128.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,539
  • coins129.webp
    coins129.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,542
  • coins317.webp
    coins317.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,539
Upvote 0
Well Bryce, if there were a spot for Banner Posts for such a passionate read such as the one you just posted, this would be on the top scroll my friend. You are the Man!


Many Many Prayers your way Buddy. :icon_sunny: jgas
 
Bryce,

Praying for your Dad bud.... seated dime to clear your head is nice. :thumbsup: - Jim
 
Hey, hope your Dad likes his new present, a gift like that? im sure you two will get plenty of time in together, with plenty of time to spare.
I like your antidote for clearing the head.
Pro-
 
Hey there Bryce I am sorry to hear of the recent lose of your Mother, and now your Dad is in trouble to, is there any way he could get a donor kidney? is he on the list? any family members compatible type? and yes I will do some praying and send it your way. Also did you get an article published in W/E magazine ? let me know please, and will hold your dad in my thoughts, nice work on the seated dime guy! HH!

Chuck.
 
hope all will be well with Ur dad. my best wishes to Ur family. MR TUFF
 
Everything living must die, its part of life. :dontknow: :icon_thumleft:

Sorry for more bad news. :'( My prayers are with you guys !! :angel7:

Nice dime !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D
 
your hunting...amazing as always, i'm still trying to figure out how to cut down on the rusty nails. hang in there with your dad, these days will be ones you'll cherish forever............jeff
 
VOL1266-X said:
Wishing the best for your Dad, You, and your family Bryce. Very nice coins. Happy hunting, Quindy.
Thanks Quindy

Dman said:
I will keep your father in my prayers.
Thanks D

Shadowmanflash said:
Hey Brice, first off what a fantastic story on your finds and your experience shows, the Indian cent and the seated dime are awesome and looked to be in good shape, good job at your hunting, I enjoy your posts.
Now for more serious talk, I was sorry to read your post when you lost your momma, I lost my dad a few years ago and it was tough and a grand daughter a year ago, so I certainly understand your depression. I'm sorry to hear about your dad now and hope and pray he recovers ok. Keep the faith and be strong, it will work out, they will find the solution.
I probably know better than most, in 2002 I was diagnosed with a lung disease that was suppose to end my lifw 3 to 5 years later, well I can tell you I'm running hard to my 8th. year come this August. Although I am disabled and only have 30% of lung function and 75% loss of the use of my legs, I wake up fighting every day and I know your dad will to. This is why my hunts and posts are so few, but I love doing it. Final thought is keep your spirits up, claim it will be ok and it will, and if for some reason God willing it doesn't, know that he would be with mom and they will see you again and you can hunt all you want then. God Bless, your all in my prayers and thoughts. Ken.
Thanks for the kind words Ken...and thanks for sharing your story too.

Sniffy said:
Sorry to about the ordeal your father is enduring, however.....very nice seated dime!
Thanks Sniffy

fistfulladirt said:
Not often I get tears Bryce. Hope everything goes well for your dad, i will pray he gets better. ffd
Thanks ffd

Texasgopher said:
Great coin and story as always. But most importantly, I'll be praying for your Dad.


TG
Thanks TG

sscindercoop said:
Best wishes to you and your dad. Congrats on the seated :icon_thumleft:
Thanks friend

mamabear said:
Be strong & positive. you never know what the future holds. my thoughts are with you & yours. nice coin. glad you are getting out & digging. I'm sure he will like to see the results of your digs too.
Thanks mamabear. I will stay as positive as I can.

dwayne sueno said:
sweet dime, Bryce.
My father got a kidney from his sister almost ten years ago, and he's still going strong.
Hope everything goes smoothly. I'll be thinking about you.

Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne
 
ziphius said:
Bryce,

Praying for your Dad bud.... seated dime to clear your head is nice. :thumbsup: - Jim
Thanks Jim. It helped for a short while...but now back to reality.

jgas said:
Well Bryce, if there were a spot for Banner Posts for such a passionate read such as the one you just posted, this would be on the top scroll my friend. You are the Man!


Many Many Prayers your way Buddy. :icon_sunny: jgas
Thanks J...I appreciate it.

s.c.shooter said:
Sent a prayer up for your dad! Hang in there buddy!
Thanks s.c.

Deepdiger60 said:
Hoping the best for your Dad he can pull through , that dime is in great shape :thumbsup: nice find Dd60
Thanks Dd60

t-bucket said:
WTG Bryce ,Congrats on the silver !!!! Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope things go well. Have a good one and hang in their.
Thanks G-Money

Ocalasix said:
WTG on the finds!!..and our prayers go to you and your Dad and Family through his operation..stay strong brother, we are here for ya ..six
Thanks friend. I truly appreciate it.

Deno said:
Nice hunting. Hope it all works out for your Dad. I will say a prayer for him.
Thanks Deno

plehbah said:
I wish you and your Dad the best with this very real and hard situation.

The XLT is made for pure fun. I think the two of you will have a bit more.
Thanks plehbah. He always got a real kick out of the cool night light...and the big numbers...as did I :headbang: You're right...pure fun :icon_thumleft:

EddieR said:
Prayers sent from East Tennessee.

Hang in there, buddy.

Eddie
Thank you Eddie

Detectingfreak said:
Nice job on the silver! I hope your dad gets better.
Thanks DF

terpfan said:
Bryce,
My prayers are with you and your Dad, buddy. You have been blessed to have such a close-knit family, anyone can sense the love just by the tone of your posts. Your Dad will be thrilled by the new XLT and I just know that the two of you will soon be digging up piles of old silver! Steve
Thanks Steve. I appreciate it..and I hope you're right.

hogge said:
Wishing all the best for you and your dad. Nice finds as always Bryce. Hogge
Thanks bro.

lumpsums said:
hello Bryce-my father-in-law just went through what your dad is going through and to me he seems better but has his days.
always enjoy you postings-and will pray for you guys-take care my friend!
Thanks friend. I appreciate it.
 
sorry to here about your dad bud! ill keep him in my prayers. i did not know you could still buy the xlt new? i have a hunting buddy who swears it was the best machine he ever had and wished he still had it. he has a dfx now and he says he liked the xlt better. wild willy
 
Seated is the name of the game
 
jeffmrgan said:
your hunting...amazing as always, i'm still trying to figure out how to cut down on the rusty nails. hang in there with your dad, these days will be ones you'll cherish forever............jeff
Thanks Jeff. I hope he and I can get some huntin' in soon.
As for the nails...hey...I dig 'em sometimes too. If you are looking for coins hiding in iron...then you're gonna' find some iron there too ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Everything living must die, its part of life. :dontknow: :icon_thumleft:

Sorry for more bad news. :'( My prayers are with you guys !! :angel7:

Nice dime !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D
Appreciate the thoughts MUD...thanks

Mr Tuff said:
hope all will be well with Ur dad. my best wishes to Ur family. MR TUFF
Thanks Mr. T

Tattooguy67 said:
Hey there Bryce I am sorry to hear of the recent lose of your Mother, and now your Dad is in trouble to, is there any way he could get a donor kidney? is he on the list? any family members compatible type? and yes I will do some praying and send it your way. Also did you get an article published in W/E magazine ? let me know please, and will hold your dad in my thoughts, nice work on the seated dime guy! HH!

Chuck.
Hi Chuck..yes the article on the Sunray x-5 coil is currently out in the May issue of Western & Eastern treasures magazine. I also have a second article (field test of the Sunray X-12) coming out in next months issue in about 3 weeks.
As for a kidney for dad...he has been fighting cancer the last 6 years too...and has been told that much of his body has deteriorated to the point that a new kidney would truly not help matters. Seems his hope lies within the dialysis process...so I hope and pray it works.

prolab69 said:
Hey, hope your Dad likes his new present, a gift like that? im sure you two will get plenty of time in together, with plenty of time to spare.
I like your antidote for clearing the head.
Pro-
Thanks for the kind words Pro :icon_thumleft:
 
ohiograndpa said:
Seated is the name of the game
:icon_thumleft:

Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Sorry to hear about your Dad Bryce, I wish the very best for him and you :icon_thumright:
Thanks Brian. Not sure what to expect from here...but I know I need to enjoy what we have...while we have it.

dfx willy said:
sorry to here about your dad bud! ill keep him in my prayers. i did not know you could still buy the xlt new? i have a hunting buddy who swears it was the best machine he ever had and wished he still had it. he has a dfx now and he says he liked the xlt better. wild willy
Thanks for the kind words Willy. Yep...the xlt is still available new. I used to love it years ago.
 
Bryce, sorry about the bad news for you Dad... will be praying for both of you.

That is an amazing job finding that seated, great job! :icon_thumright:
 
My thoughts are with you and your family SF. I will pray for your dad to get through what lies ahead. Nice iron save on the dime too. :notworthy:
 
:hello:Sorry to hear about your Dad. I will say a prayer for him. Congrats on the dime
vermonster
 
vermonster said:
:hello:Sorry to hear about your Dad. I will say a prayer for him. Congrats on the dime
vermonster
Thanks vermonster...and I appreciate the thoughts for my dad.
Take care

itbeepsidig said:
My thoughts are with you and your family SF. I will pray for your dad to get through what lies ahead. Nice iron save on the dime too. :notworthy:
Thanks Beep.

Mach 1 Pilot said:
Bryce, sorry about the bad news for you Dad... will be praying for both of you.

That is an amazing job finding that seated, great job! :icon_thumright:
Thanks Mach 1. I appreciate it.
 
Sorry to hear about your dad silverfreak but hopefully all will be okay and he will be able to lead a normal life. :icon_thumleft:
Nice seated dime from the iron too. :wink:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom