What's new

Got a call I hoped would NEVER come...but sniffed out a NICE seated dime today.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
4,062
Reaction score
1,077
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call late last night from my dad...and it was a call I was hoping would never come. The dreaded time is finally here...and his kidneys are down to 9% function. He must go in for emergency surgery very soon to install the port to begin dialysis. ???

We were initially told as soon as Monday or Tuesday of next week...but he is so weak he needs an iron transfusion first...and an abdomen scan....so the surgery will most likely be towards the end of next week.

For cryin' out loud...he just recoverd from a car reck as of 2 days ago. ???

We all knew this day was coming though...and he had been fighting it off for over 1 1/2 years now. While pops has plenty of fight left in him...his kidneys do not.

Life will really change as we know it.

Feel like I just lost mom yesterday...and am not ready to deal with this.

Did two things this morning...ordered a Whites XLT which is one of my all time favorite detectors. My dad always loved it and hunted with me...so I got one on the way. We're gonna' get some nice personal hunt time in while he can...and try to enjoy life. He always liked the xlt...so he's gonna' get one as a present from me. :icon_thumleft:

Second thing I did this morning...went CRAZY with depression worrying about him...what it will do to his very active lifestyle...and also if he will be able to deal with the dialysis properly.

Because of the worrying...I needed an outlet to clear my head and keep the depression from digging any further.I decided to hunt for a few hours...and about 9:30 this morning...off I went.

E-Trac?....SE?...nope...the Explorer 2 looked lonely...and I decided to pop the 12" Sunray coil on it and take it for a spin.

I headed to another beat up park...but absolutely did not care whether I found anything ot not...seriously.

Got nothing the first hour at this park...but I have pulled some nice coins from here...and usually in crap or iron...so I knew the potential was there.

Finally got a crappy injun' sounding hit but it pinpointed 6" away from the center...so I dug a big plug.

I dug sown about 8" and ran the probe...NOTHING. ???

I dug it a little deeper and wider and finally got a hit with the probe way off to the bottom side where a very nice 1902 Injun' showed it's face from 4" back into the side :occasion14: ..so it was on edge.

About an hour later...I had only 3 rusty nails to go along with the Injun' :laughing7: ...but I still had an hour to go.

I then got another squeaker but it hit in only one tiny spot.

Problem is...the last 3 nails I dug hit almost the same way 8) ..but I gave them a shot even though they did not have much "warble" to them.

They also did not give a two way repeating tiny sweet spot signal...they only sounded sweet from one direction...and that's iron 90% of the time.

I like these type of hits. While it was not a two way repeater...I knew this type of hit had a shot at being a coin hiding in iron...because of what I described

I dug down about 9" and saw a big chunk of iron about 3" in diameter. What I saw just barely peeking out made my skin tingle though. :blob1:

I could just slightly make out a tiny spot of silver. In fact I would say about 85% to 90% of this baby was coverd up by the iron...as you can see from the rust stain which all but covers the entire area

The one little "non rusted" area at the top right is all that was not engulfed by the iron. :hello2:
I plucked it out and could see it was going to be a nice one.

I brought it home and wiped it with a little lemon luice to remove the rust stain...and you see what it turned out like...very nice.

I really needed to clear my head this morning...and am so thankful for this hobby. :wink:

I only hope my pops gets to enjoy it with me before he gets any worse. I am just not ready for it.

A few of you have asked me to hunt...and I would love to hunt with many of you...but now you know why I can't travel any distance to do so.

Mom's health got bad...then I lost her. Now Dad's health is deteriorating fast...so it's gonna' be rough all over again.

I just don't like to get too far from home because of his health...just as it was with my mom. :angel7:

Not sure what's gonna'' happen from here...so please keep him in your thoughts.

We only get ONE Mom and Dad fellers' and gals' ...so enjoy them if you still have them to enjoy :angel7: ...and don't ever take them for granted.

Metal detecting can wait...family can't :angel7:
 

Attachments

  • coins127.webp
    coins127.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,550
  • coins128.webp
    coins128.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,539
  • coins129.webp
    coins129.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,542
  • coins317.webp
    coins317.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,539
Upvote 0
Bryce,

Prayers for you & your dad.

Prayer11.webp​
 

Attachments

  • Prayer11.webp
    Prayer11.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,258
sorry to hear your Dad is hurting. I lost mine in 2002 to lung cancer. He was the one that opened me up to mding when i was 14. So when he left i really got into it. There is not a plug I don't dig that I don't think about him. The good news is I almost lost my mom to cancer a few years ago but thanks to prayer and her first grandaughter(my girl) she has made a full recovery. Don't think that prayer doesnt work. btw nice seated that will make him want to get out.
 
Sorry to hear about your pops, I will say a prayer for him buddy.
 
Bryce, nice seated!
Sorry to hear about your Dad's condition.
I know you just recently went through a VERY tough time already.
Hoping for the best for your Dad.
 
I know where your at, lost my mom 7 weeks ago, cancer, 4 1/2 years she fought. Life will never be the same. Enjoy every second with your dad, cause when their gone it's forever. Got out for the first time the other day in a long time, found a 27 merc, the year she was born.....great hobby huh?A thought and a prayer for you my friend!, Burl
 
BURLIVES said:
I know where your at, lost my mom 7 weeks ago, cancer, 4 1/2 years she fought. Life will never be the same. Enjoy every second with your dad, cause when their gone it's forever. Got out for the first time the other day in a long time, found a 27 merc, the year she was born.....great hobby huh?A thought and a prayer for you my friend!, Burl
Sorry for your loss Burl. Thank you for the kind words and thoughts.
Nothing's been the sane since I lost mom...so I'm not ready for this.

The Buzzard King said:
Bryce, nice seated!
Sorry to hear about your Dad's condition.
I know you just recently went through a VERY tough time already.
Hoping for the best for your Dad.
Thanks B.K. I appreciate it my friend.

TreasureFiend said:
Sorry to hear about your pops, I will say a prayer for him buddy.
Thanks fiend...I apprciate it buddy :icon_thumleft:

Gonehunting said:
sorry to hear your Dad is hurting. I lost mine in 2002 to lung cancer. He was the one that opened me up to mding when i was 14. So when he left i really got into it. There is not a plug I don't dig that I don't think about him. The good news is I almost lost my mom to cancer a few years ago but thanks to prayer and her first grandaughter(my girl) she has made a full recovery. Don't think that prayer doesnt work. btw nice seated that will make him want to get out.
Thanks G.H. I'm glad your mom recovered. My mom fought breast cancer for 7 years but I lost her about 1 1/2 years ago. I hope dad accepts the dialysis well.

River Rat said:
Bryce,

Prayers for you & your dad.


​
Thanks R.R. I truly appreciate it. I'llmake sure dad see this response. :wink:

kevin11 said:
nice finds as always,Hope the best for your dad
Thanks Kevin

digginzfun said:
Sorry to hear about your dad silverfreak but hopefully all will be okay and he will be able to lead a normal life. :icon_thumleft:
Nice seated dime from the iron too. :wink:
Thanks D.F. I hope so too :icon_thumleft:
 
Sorry to hear about the sad news and wish him the best, my prayers are with him.

TommNJ
 
My prayers are with you and your dad. I am 50. My dad had a detector in 81 when I got out of the service, I bought mine in 82. He got me started, but we never detected to gether, as he passed in 85. I know had he lived longer we would have done a lot of detecting. My mom is also gone 2001.

I find it best to concentrate on the good times and forget the bad. It helps keep you sane. Prayer does not hurt either. I was not as convinced when I lost my dad but now, prayer brings plenty of positive calming to my life.

I hope and pray you and your dad can spend many more years together, detecting and just plain living life.

Ed D.
 
Sorry to hear about your father. Wishing you and your family the best. Look forward to some great treasure stories you and your father will have in the future. Keep your head up and know everyone is praying for you and your dad.
 
We are all one big family here and we all support each other through prayers and wishes in times of need. Ill pray that everything runs smoothly and you find some amazing finds together. Keep your head up brother.
 
Bryce,

My father in law went on dialysis this past November. While not an easy transition, he actually feels a lot better now than before. He's at the center three times a week for about four hours. With his blood cleaned better now than with his kidney's his color and general deportment has improved a lot. While I have not looked into it personally, my understanding is that the centers run a tight network that allows patients to travel pretty widely and use reciprocal services.

Best to you both.
NavalDigger
 
Des from down under said:
thinking of you and your dad..des
Thanks Des

navaldigger said:
Bryce,

My father in law went on dialysis this past November. While not an easy transition, he actually feels a lot better now than before. He's at the center three times a week for about four hours. With his blood cleaned better now than with his kidney's his color and general deportment has improved a lot. While I have not looked into it personally, my understanding is that the centers run a tight network that allows patients to travel pretty widely and use reciprocal services.

Best to you both.
NavalDigger
Thanks NavalDigger. He is hoping to learn how to do it at home after a few months.. I hope you're right..and that his quality of life improves after he starts it.

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Keeping my fingers crossed for you Bryce. Hope he gets a kidney soon.
Chris
Thnks Chris. At this point...a kidney would not do him much good. He has been told that dialysis will be the answer so I hope they're right. Most people say that it can actually improve his quality of life...so we'll see how his body adapts to it.

tpmrcp said:
We are all one big family here and we all support each other through prayers and wishes in times of need. Ill pray that everything runs smoothly and you find some amazing finds together. Keep your head up brother.
Thank you friend. I appreciate it.

AGCoinHunter said:
Sorry to hear about your father. Wishing you and your family the best. Look forward to some great treasure stories you and your father will have in the future. Keep your head up and know everyone is praying for you and your dad.
Thanks AG. I appreciate it.

Born2Dtect said:
My prayers are with you and your dad. I am 50. My dad had a detector in 81 when I got out of the service, I bought mine in 82. He got me started, but we never detected to gether, as he passed in 85. I know had he lived longer we would have done a lot of detecting. My mom is also gone 2001.

I find it best to concentrate on the good times and forget the bad. It helps keep you sane. Prayer does not hurt either. I was not as convinced when I lost my dad but now, prayer brings plenty of positive calming to my life.

I hope and pray you and your dad can spend many more years together, detecting and just plain living life.

Ed D.
Thanks ED. I hope all goes well...and that he adapts to the change. If it improves his quality of life...then that will be a plus. Thanks for the kind words.


TommNJ said:
Sorry to hear about the sad news and wish him the best, my prayers are with him.

TommNJ
Thanks Tom. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
 
Bryce you, and your dad are in my prayers. Nothing was ever truer. You want have them always. I lost both of mine, and it still hurts.....
 
Second thing I did this morning...went CRAZY with depression worrying about him...what it will do to his very active lifestyle...and also if he will be able to deal with the dialysis properly.

A very close friend of mine just started dialysis. His kidney function was at 5%. He told me recently that he thought it was going to be worse than what it really is. He said the hardest part was getting accustomed to the routine but once that was worked out, it wasn't so bad after all. He said he feels much better than he has in a long time. Then he said the best part of not having kidney function is not having to get up all hours of the night to pee LOL. :tongue3:
 
Prayers for you both Bryce! You will have alot more wonderful hunts togeather, with my lossing Jeff in Feb. I lost my huntin partner but I am still going with Jacob (grandson) YOU my friend will have lots of hunts with your dad that is what I am praying for!
 
Mental Granny said:
Prayers for you both Bryce! You will have alot more wonderful hunts togeather, with my lossing Jeff in Feb. I lost my huntin partner but I am still going with Jacob (grandson) YOU my friend will have lots of hunts with your dad that is what I am praying for!
Thanks M.G....I truly appreciate it. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Felinepeachy said:
Second thing I did this morning...went CRAZY with depression worrying about him...what it will do to his very active lifestyle...and also if he will be able to deal with the dialysis properly.

A very close friend of mine just started dialysis. His kidney function was at 5%. He told me recently that he thought it was going to be worse than what it really is. He said the hardest part was getting accustomed to the routine but once that was worked out, it wasn't so bad after all. He said he feels much better than he has in a long time. Then he said the best part of not having kidney function is not having to get up all hours of the night to pee LOL. :tongue3:
I hope you're right F.P. I am hoping his quality of life will actually improve as you said.


Old River said:
Bryce you, and your dad are in my prayers. Nothing was ever truer. You want have them always. I lost both of mine, and it still hurts.....
Thanks Old River. I really appreciate it.
 
Sorry to hear about your dad Bryce. I lost mine a little over a year ago and although we were not very close and he lived in a different country you only have one dad. I hope he is going to be ok. Hang in there and keep talking about it.
Nice dime. :wink:
 
Im sorry Bryce. My Mom just died suddenly from a stroke on April 5 and my Dad is very ill. I stayed a few days with him but he lives out of town. Its great that you can spend some enjoyable time together. Its the last good times that you will always remember.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom