What's new

Got a gorgeous button and other stuff at a new site today

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got permission to hunt a mid-1700s home site including the yard and large field. Hit the yard first and most of the finds came from there. But it was tough going in most areas due to lots of iron and trash. There was also a spot in the field near the house where the old barn used to be and that area yielded a few buttons and IHs. The field had several high spots and when I got to the first one Inoticed a fair amount of brick and iron. I immediately dug an early 1800s button and thought I might be running into another one of those early camps that seem to be at every site I've hunted recently. But after that the finds were very few and far between. Only about 3 more buttons in 2+ hours of hunting, but one of them was a beautiful Corps of Engineers. Its in superb shape with all the detail there and most of the gilting. One of the best buttons I've dug in a while. Hopefully there's a whole coat-full of them waiting to be found.
 

Attachments

  • 020912b.webp
    020912b.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 777
  • 020912c.webp
    020912c.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 838
  • 020912d.webp
    020912d.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 020912e.webp
    020912e.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 020912a.webp
    020912a.webp
    328.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 0
Beautiful button Bill! A one-piece Engineers button is a fantastic find! Congratulations!!! Devonrex
 
Wow. That is such a great button and VERY deserving of Banner :headbang: That's as pretty as you can hope for on a rare button :o :o :o (know you aren't selling but looks about a $400-500 relic)

btw, the only 1-pc Eagle A button I dug there that had any gilt left was a Lewis & Tomes :thumbsup:
 
Looked like a great second outing!! Congrats!
 
Nice bag of goodies!
 
Killer buttons :headbang:


I like the small buckle frame also :icon_thumleft:


Blaze
 
Excellent job Bill. I've always wanted to dig one of those buttons!!!!!!!! Tennessee digger
 
Bill, top notch button find! I would have to say that Engineer button would be on my wish list if I was hunting areas prone to that era. Great find, I think Joe D (local dealer) found one of them here in my section of southern NJ a few years back, so I guess it is possible. (It would be a great followup to my TE-1 button) :wink:

Don
 
Beautiful button Bill. I almost love the patina more than the shiny gilting.
 
They don't get much better than that. Beautiful patina and a very tough one to dig. Congrats!
-Evan
 
Your soil sure is kind to those buttons! Great finds!
 
that is one sweet button :headbang: :headbang:
 
WOW! That's got to be one of the best I've ever seen! Superb, HH
 
Wow Bill that is a fantastic find, what a great button.

Congrats

:icon_thumleft:
 
That one piece Engineer's button is spectacular Bill :headbang: The other buttons and relics are very nice too! Hope you can find some more goodies at this site :thumbsup:
 
Fantastic buttons!! :headbang: Very nice hunt all around! Now go back and snag some silver, it's there... :thumbsup:
 
Beautiful button, man! I'm still waiting to find one in that shape. :whip2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom