Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499445484.710457.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499445498.502464.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499445515.471421.jpg

Hi mate. Found a similar small piece in a field today that looks similar. Heavy for its size with lots of iron and possibly other stuff. The one I found was skarn.
Won't even bother with a picture.My camera is not good.Have you ruled out skarn? Peace and happy rock aquistion to you

Is this granite or member of the granite intrusive type group? Assay's high in gold (note close up's) Don't know that I've ever seen free milling gold in granite before however this spot may be productive given my assay results.

DSC_1216a.jpg
DSC_1215 - Copy2.jpg
DSC_1216 - Copy.JPG

Hello! I found some of this material I could use some help identifying
View attachment 1469630 Fused rhyolite tuff or breccia?
View attachment 1469631 Unknown. Some quartz in some kind of magmatically altered limestone?
View attachment 1469632 Think its quartz.
View attachment 1469633 Green Mineral. Flourite?
View attachment 1469635 Deposit where I found the green mineral. Magmatically altered limestone I suspect. Ruled out copper mineralization.
View attachment 1469634 Blue Andesite?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Hi mate. Found a similar small piece in a field today that looks similar. Heavy for its size with lots of iron and possibly other stuff. The one I found was skarn.
Won't even bother with a picture.My camera is not good.Have you ruled out skarn? Peace and happy rock aquistion to you

Are you sure? Skarn typically looks quite different: mostly with garnets, quartz & iron-silicates.
IMO quite different from your pics.

Hello! I found some of this material I could use some help identifying
View attachment 1469630 Fused rhyolite tuff or breccia?
View attachment 1469631 Unknown. Some quartz in some kind of magmatically altered limestone?
View attachment 1469632 Think its quartz.
View attachment 1469633 Green Mineral. Flourite?
View attachment 1469635 Deposit where I found the green mineral. Magmatically altered limestone I suspect. Ruled out copper mineralization.
View attachment 1469634 Blue Andesite?

Thanks for any help!

#1 Breccia (hydrothermally altered? - interesting for gold prospecting!)
#2 Looks breccia-ish to. Due to oxidized surface there isn't much I can tell, other then plenty of quartz.
#3 Quartz crystals, even!
#4-5 See if you can see shiny "flat spots", will a knife scratch it? Flourite has cleavage and is scratched by a knife.
#6 Greenstone? See if a knife can scratch it. Greenstones typically are altered mafic rocks and soft. A knife more often then not will scratch them.

Steel scratches #4. Appears to cleave.
Did not bring a sample of #6 back home with me to test.

WIN_20170708_08_41_36_Pro.jpg There is shiny metal inside of these rocks. you can see in the first pic where my clean fingernail is pointing.

Photo1786.jpg Dear EU citizen. Firstly,thankyou for your time and for bothering to help us new enthusiasts.Respect. This is my "not Skarn" that I assumed was Skarn.The black bubbles on the back piece I took for arsenic.Lots of purples and groovy colours to it. The white dog poo looking piece has lots of visible iron cubes
in it. I am also finding black quartz in the area which is a new thing for me. The field itself has a red cap over to one side and the rest of the field looks a bleached light brown with lots and lots of rust streaks everywhere. By the amount of slag I am finding with my goldbug there,and the un water worn broken ore rocks,I think I have found an old processing place. Even found a small flint tool and lots of animal bones that have been cut. So an area that has been used for a long time,pre known history.
Anyway.Thanks for your help again. Any opinions on what my misidentified as Skarn rocks are?

Photo1788.jpgPhoto1790.jpg Piece of black quartz vein. Both sides have mica schist remnants and even a teeny weeny garnet attached. Lots of garnet schist in the field. There appears to be plenty of metal in this quartz. What made it black? Cheers once more.

View attachment 1470050 Dear EU citizen. Firstly,thankyou for your time and for bothering to help us new enthusiasts.Respect. This is my "not Skarn" that I assumed was Skarn.The black bubbles on the back piece I took for arsenic.Lots of purples and groovy colours to it. The white dog poo looking piece has lots of visible iron cubes
in it. I am also finding black quartz in the area which is a new thing for me. The field itself has a red cap over to one side and the rest of the field looks a bleached light brown with lots and lots of rust streaks everywhere. By the amount of slag I am finding with my goldbug there,and the un water worn broken ore rocks,I think I have found an old processing place. Even found a small flint tool and lots of animal bones that have been cut. So an area that has been used for a long time,pre known history.
Anyway.Thanks for your help again. Any opinions on what my misidentified as Skarn rocks are?

*grins* I see what you mean with the camera issues, lol. Can't really make out much of anything.
If you need a better one, see if you can't find a Canon IXUS 220HS.
They're cheap and mine has survived quite some abuse. It's my field camera. You can occasionally find them for below 100$ used.
Sample photo of a fault:
Förskjutning_SMALL.JPG

Black quartz is called smoky quartz and it gets black from irradiation. Natural minerals are most of the time the source, so don't worry.

Cheers mate. All day digging in the rain for this.But found some other interesting black rock that spat out some gold in the ultrasonic cleaner.Makes me wish I had
a crusher and space away from everyone.Meh. Thanks againPhoto1792.jpg Some gold at least.Mini woohoo. But wages wise would be
better off flipping burgers in a hair net.Peace and happy rock hounding

I recently found both of these in the sane pile of landscape rocks in West MI.
I asume to be lake bead clay at one time where it was a feeding ground for shell eaters.
I have seen places in lakes where the pike and other fish that crunch clam shells to eat the clam and it always seems to be in a pile.
these 2 stones are very dense and weigh more than they look
What are your thoughts?20170709_172903.jpg20170709_172917.jpg20170709_172926.jpg20170709_172935.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back