Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Rare finding

Please take a look at this one. Found near lake/park Litchfield CT. 20170713_030746.jpg20170713_030800.jpg20170713_030800.jpg

Hello everyone! Just stumbled upon this site and figured it might be a good opportunity to have some experts look at this rock or mudcake or space turd (like in the movie Joe Dirt, although there do not appear to be any peanuts or corn kernels in our rock). It was found in south central Pennsylvania, United States, and looked unnatural as it was sitting on top of a dead tree trunk. Could this be some kind of tree sap formation? Anyways, it weighs 6lbs 10 oz which I guess is appropriate for its size. It is NOT magnetic. It looks kind of wet in some of the pictures but it is dry.

View attachment 1471390
View attachment 1471392
View attachment 1471391
View attachment 1471393

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Funky piece of chalcedony?

That gives me a starting point in researching this neat little find (this is all new to me). Thanks so much for taking the time to look at the pictures and point me in a direction. Have a great day!

Hi I'm Matt and I'm ten years old, I'm wondering if you can tell me if this is gold ore? We found it at our pond, we live by Coloma California. It was one piece and I broke it up.

We think we might have a quarts vane, but we are not sure.

Hello Matt! I started goldpanning about your age. Welcome aboard!

It looks interesting for sure, but I can't for certain tell you if it contains gold or not.
It is quartz vein material for sure, though.

Take some help of an adult and see if you can't crush it to a fine powder (use eye protection, gloves) and then pan it out.
Or see if there is a local club/prospector that can help out.

Back in the 90s, I found a weird green rock on the beach in South Korea. Originally I thought it was jade, but upon closer inspection, I realized it was not. The green parts are smooth and cool to the touch. It feels slippery. It's heavy for it's size, but doesn't appear to have iron in it. It doesn't scratch with a fingernail, screw driver, knife or scissors. I took a hammer to it and after several heavy blows, a small fragment broke off. It sparked when hit with the hammer. It's not opaque and light does not pass through it. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need to identify the rock.

View attachment 1471527

View attachment 1471529

View attachment 1471530

View attachment 1471532

View attachment 1471533

View attachment 1471534

View attachment 1471535

View attachment 1471536

Arizau has a point. But chalcedony has a waxy luster. Due to the "air bubbles" I'd go with slag!

Thank you for your help, but I do not know how to grind it up into fine powder. Do you know what tools I use? I was thinking using a hammer on one side, and a rock to sit under it, but I don't know how to keep the powder from flying everywhere. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Thank you for your help, but I do not know how to grind it up into fine powder. Do you know what tools I use? I was thinking using a hammer on one side, and a rock to sit under it, but I don't know how to keep the powder from flying everywhere. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

I use a piece of large scrap iron and a 2Kg sledge. First break up the rock to finer pieces, hammer on it, then use a grinding/sliding motion on the hammer.
A screen to pick out oversized pieces is useful, to! The oversize can be ground again.

This rocks come from the coast. I have seen a lot quartz veins all over. Possibilities of being good indicator of gold? Thanks in advance IMG_1532.JPGIMG_1535.JPGIMG_1536.JPGIMG_1538.JPGIMG_1540.JPG

Rock found at mount Lemmon in Arizona

My brother went to Arizona and went hiking at mount Lemmon and he brought me back this rock and I'm very interested in learning it's name and more Infor about it.IMG_8232.JPGIMG_8230.JPGIMG_8233.JPG

Dear EU citizen,

Garnet mica schist. Which is what I think I have.Just low grade garnets I think. I keep finding it with black quartz. Am I wasting my time looking for gold in said rocks?
Thanks again.Photo1828.jpgPhoto1830.jpg Not finding any gold in the smokey stuff at all. And lastly.Galena in slate?
Cheers again.Photo1833.jpg Really blindingly silver.

Last edited:
Please identify these rocks ore samples

I am new to hard rock mining...please identify these rock ore samples that came from a hard rock vein source next to a underground hard rock mine in Papua New Guinea....:hello::hello::hello:Kokomo Au 20 - Kumian.JPGKokomo Au 17 - Kumian.JPGKokomo Au 15 - Kumian.JPG

Last edited:
Dear EU citizen,

Garnet mica schist. Which is what I think I have.Just low grade garnets I think. I keep finding it with black quartz. Am I wasting my time looking for gold in said rocks?
Thanks again.View attachment 1472943View attachment 1472944 Not finding any gold in the smokey stuff at all. And lastly.Galena in slate?
Cheers again.View attachment 1472950 Really blindingly silver.

Can't tell. See if a knife will scratch it. Do a streak test.
Marcasite is more likely, in my experience. But could be something else.

Garnet suggests metamorphosis. Time examining/testing rock is never wasted when you know there is gold..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back