Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Thanks again EU citizen,

The name dropping really helps. Marcasite is new to me. Really like the hardcore quartz and mica schist thing going on. Teeny nugget found in some quartz weirdness,but only iron lumps in the black quartz thus far. Was hoping for some awesome gold on black,but only getting gold in unattractive pieces. In fact I have never found gold in an attractive piece.Always the rank looking toxic stuff. Never found a beautiful specimen with gold.Was hoping this black quartz was gonna be my first. But nah. Only ugly bits have the gold thus far. Since you told me the smokey stuff was irradiated I seem to like it even more. The whole place is weird.Another word you gave me.Gossans.Seems to fit this new place rather well. Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. Ugly ugly. Photo1834.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again EU citizen,

The name dropping really helps. Marcasite is new to me. Really like the hardcore quartz and mica schist thing going on. Teeny nugget found in some quartz weirdness,but only iron lumps in the black quartz thus far. Was hoping for some awesome gold on black,but only getting gold in unattractive pieces. In fact I have never found gold in an attractive piece.Always the rank looking toxic stuff. Never found a beautiful specimen with gold.Was hoping this black quartz was gonna be my first. But nah. Only ugly bits have the gold thus far. Since you told me the smokey stuff was irradiated I seem to like it even more. The whole place is weird.Another word you gave me.Gossans.Seems to fit this new place rather well. Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. Ugly ugly. View attachment 1472994

For a prospector that "ugly stuff" looks pretty promising. Specimens are quite rare I believe.
Marcasite is a low-temp variation of pyrite.

i found this in my garden no idea about rocks/minerals what do i have here ? 20170716_174500.jpg

20170716_174534.jpg

20170716_174107.jpg
it look like petrified wood on one side , but it leaves no marks when rubbed on paper which i was told coal wiĺl

Last edited:
For a prospector that "ugly stuff" looks pretty promising. Specimens are quite rare I believe.
Marcasite is a low-temp variation of pyrite.
Lol. All my so called specimens look like handling them will make all
my hair fall out. Would like something pretty and non toxic one day.As I cannot crush rocks,only hit them,the ugly stuff is
lower yielding than sluicing.Sluicing feels safer than all the rock hounding.I would love gold to be in this black loveliness but
alas no.Thanks for being my teacher Photo1838.jpg Nothing inside but beautiful.A nice gold bit in
any of these black bits would be awesome.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi I found this while out detecting, I hit it with my spade and it's a shiny silver right through it looks like crystallised layers. It's extremely heavy and very hard I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be please? Thanks

Hello, I found this rock a few months back and I have not yet figured out what it is15003129822071718045478.jpg 20170717_133308.jpg20170717_133433.jpg20170717_133550.jpg20170717_133608.jpg
Thanks for you help.

Not yet... Those services are not readily available here ...

Galena? See if a knife will scratch the silvery stuff.
Hi and thanks for taking a look, yes it scratches but its hard to make a mark on it if you scrape away at it. It forms what looks like a dark grey ish powder.

IMG_5870[1].JPGIMG_5871[1].JPGDid scratch test with a pocket knife.It scratched it, but it was the dark outer shell.Im guessing that is oxidation if thats the correct terminology. I then broke off an edge with a hammer ( after a few strikes ) revealing the shinier metal and it did not scratch it. Dont know if its useful info, but the weight is 1 lb 13 oz and the ruler reference to give you an idea. Its pretty heavy. It was found around KY/TN line.

Not yet... Those services are not readily available here ...

Assay services can be done elsewhere. I send my samples away for assay, to. There is no local lab for me either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back