Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey found this rock in the river while fishing, looks cool so I took it. The middle dot is different colour on each side, Would love to know what it is. It feels kind of gritty to the touch. View attachment 1431260 View attachment 1431261 View attachment 1431262 View attachment 1431263 View attachment 1431264 View attachment 1431265 View attachment 1431266 View attachment 1431267

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandstone, I'd imagine.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This specimen came from my grandpa's collection. I'm new at this, so really don't have the equipment to test for all physical properties. Tired of endless, fruitless web searching so thought I'd see if anyone out there can help me! View attachment 1431279 View attachment 1431280 View attachment 1431282 View attachment 1431283 View attachment 1431283

#1 Might be calcite, commonly referred to as "Dogtooth calcite".
#2 Is likely a pegmatite. But if you can - have someone look at it in person. Something bothers me.

kiki227

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2017
Western Washington state
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rod
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for your help! It does look a lot like dogtooth calcite and also looks a lot like this Thunder Bay amethyst with hematite.
Screenshot_2017-03-27-01-41-40.png

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
R u asking g about the vinegar and what does that mean if it does or doesn't ?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

If it does react, you got a carbonate. Likely calcite. If not, you need to do further tests to get an ID.

Louise22

Greenie
Mar 27, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
St. Charles, MO creek find

Hello, I am recently retired and have just begun to learn about Native American artifacts. My family owns a large piece of property in St. Charles, MO. It has a large creek and smaller creeks running through it, and it is well-known/believed that Native Americans once lived on the property. Over the past 50 years, many arrowheads have been found, but that about exhausted our knowledge of artifacts up until now. Anyway, I was artifact-creek-walking for the first time this past week and came across numerous items, one in particular, that I'd love to get your input on. I found it in a small wet shallow creek bed. It is stone and fits comfortably in my hand. There appears to be an image of a snake's head on one side and a bird head and bear head (?) on the other. When I hold it in my right hand, the snake head points away from me and the bird and bear face towards me. On the bear's face, there appear to be 2 very small chiseled square/rectangular "eyes". Any ideas on what this is, what it may have been used, by whom, and/or when? My thought was perhaps it was used by a shaman or in a ritual of some sort? I have also found many other interesting items, which I will post, as well, if you are interested in seeing them. But first, I will simply post pictures of this intriguing snake/bird/bear relic. Thank you, I look forward to reading your reply.

snake1.JPG

snake6.JPG

snake20.JPG

snake4.JPG

snake11.JPG

snake2.JPG

snake12.JPG

snake16.JPG

snake17.JPG

snake18.JPG

meyern3

Mar 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0165.JPG

Hey there. A friend found this and I can't figure out what it is. Probably something simple, but just weathered abnormally.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I am recently retired and have just begun to learn about Native American artifacts. My family owns a large piece of property in St. Charles, MO. It has a large creek and smaller creeks running through it, and it is well-known/believed that Native Americans once lived on the property. Over the past 50 years, many arrowheads have been found, but that about exhausted our knowledge of artifacts up until now. Anyway, I was artifact-creek-walking for the first time this past week and came across numerous items, one in particular, that I'd love to get your input on. I found it in a small wet shallow creek bed. It is stone and fits comfortably in my hand. There appears to be an image of a snake's head on one side and a bird head and bear head (?) on the other. When I hold it in my right hand, the snake head points away from me and the bird and bear face towards me. On the bear's face, there appear to be 2 very small chiseled square/rectangular "eyes". Any ideas on what this is, what it may have been used, by whom, and/or when? My thought was perhaps it was used by a shaman or in a ritual of some sort? I have also found many other interesting items, which I will post, as well, if you are interested in seeing them. But first, I will simply post pictures of this intriguing snake/bird/bear relic. Thank you, I look forward to reading your reply.

View attachment 1432059

View attachment 1432058

View attachment 1432055

View attachment 1432054

View attachment 1432052

View attachment 1432051

View attachment 1432046

View attachment 1432045

View attachment 1432044

View attachment 1432043

There is a dedicated forum for stone artifacts on TNet, I'd suggest you try there.

Swilcock1

Mar 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4940.JPG IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4943.JPG

Hi please could you identify my sons rock he found. It is 20cm in length & 14cm wide & quite heavy. We live in the York area UK.

Many thanks Joanne

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - some more puzzling and interesting stuff here - dug these samples out of one exposed outcrop of a rock hillside - they seem to be the edge of something quite large, gets much bigger. Sorry for the large amount of pics, but there seems to be a lot going on in these pieces

The body of the rock appears to be chalcedony. Looks like at least 4 different sulfides or sulfates, 2 metals, and some odd chunks that break apart separately, and look to be some sort of crystals that possibly formed before the rest of the deposits did - you can see depressions where they separated to the other side, as well as the chunks themselves in other pieces.

I'm a little hesitant to break open one of the crystal chunks in case they have value, but I'm thinking maybe it is just quartz in those chunks, at the hexagonal ones? Maybe you can give me a hint from the shape - Most are sort of hexagonal, but flat at each end, differing in length. However, SOME of the crystals appear to be an oblong round shape, still flat at the ends - I have no idea what they are.

The metals appears as very fine grains throughout almost ALL the rock material, really fine grains, I hope they show in the images, in some of the focus areas. There appear to be at least two metals, one silvery, the other a little darker, or with a hint of color. They are more obvious in the areas closer to the iron "vein", but I'm now realizing they are prevalent in all areas.

The green looks to be copper sulfate? Then there are some mustard colored powdery deposits, some brown powdery deposits, some blackish powdery deposits - most interesting is the patches of intense blue - would love to know what metals might produce these colors of sulfides? I'm wondering if the mustard colored patches could be gold?

I'm starting to get really excited about the formations I'm finding in this area - but don't want to jump to conclusions over nothing lol

UPDATE: While looking at these samples in more depth, I've noticed that on one of the surface pieces that had a weathered side, quite worn by water, etc, that the silvery metal granules are completely untarnished - they shine and sparkle just like the fresh pieces inside - absolutely zero sign of weathering or oxidation. So it's definitely not silver - could it be platinum? What other silvery metals could look brand new and shiny on the weathered side?

While googling the heck out of different combinations - I'm not sure whether these are sulfates, sulfides, or even chlorides - but gold seems to be pretty consistent as a yellowy powder. Copper however, is more blue in sulfates than chlorides. What are your thoughts?

File Mar 29, 4 22 43 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 22 24 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 21 51 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 21 36 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 21 24 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 21 02 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 4 20 47 PM - Copy.png File Mar 29, 4 20 34 PM - Copy.png File Mar 29, 4 20 10 PM - Copy.png File Mar 29, 4 19 43 PM - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the next hill over, this green stone is totally infused with tiny grains of a yellow metal - a few of the larger grains should show in this zoomed pic

I am definitely investing in an iPhone macro lens - trying to shoot these through a cheap plastic jeweler's glass is a losing battle lol

A couple of the larger grains seem to be coppery, not yellow

Before I get too excited about this area - what else could they be, and how should I test to determine the difference?

Still waiting for a chance to use the XRF

BTW - ALLLLLL of those tiny specks that look like dust all over the rock, are tiny grains of this metal - you can probably only see the larger ones here as having color, but all the specks are yellow

File Mar 29, 6 10 20 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 6 10 05 PM - Copy.jpg File Mar 29, 6 09 48 PM - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke up one of the hexagonal structures - inside, it was a different color to the rest of the rock, being more "pinkish" - and it had cavities with small round nodules of a white metal inside them, as well as some sulfides..

File Mar 29, 10 21 39 PM - Copy.png

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok - some more puzzling and interesting stuff here - dug these samples out of one exposed outcrop of a rock hillside - they seem to be the edge of something quite large, gets much bigger. Sorry for the large amount of pics, but there seems to be a lot going on in these pieces

The body of the rock appears to be chalcedony. Looks like at least 4 different sulfides or sulfates, 2 metals, and some odd chunks that break apart separately, and look to be some sort of crystals that possibly formed before the rest of the deposits did - you can see depressions where they separated to the other side, as well as the chunks themselves in other pieces.

I'm a little hesitant to break open one of the crystal chunks in case they have value, but I'm thinking maybe it is just quartz in those chunks, at the hexagonal ones? Maybe you can give me a hint from the shape - Most are sort of hexagonal, but flat at each end, differing in length. However, SOME of the crystals appear to be an oblong round shape, still flat at the ends - I have no idea what they are.

The metals appears as very fine grains throughout almost ALL the rock material, really fine grains, I hope they show in the images, in some of the focus areas. There appear to be at least two metals, one silvery, the other a little darker, or with a hint of color. They are more obvious in the areas closer to the iron "vein", but I'm now realizing they are prevalent in all areas.

The green looks to be copper sulfate? Then there are some mustard colored powdery deposits, some brown powdery deposits, some blackish powdery deposits - most interesting is the patches of intense blue - would love to know what metals might produce these colors of sulfides? I'm wondering if the mustard colored patches could be gold?

I'm starting to get really excited about the formations I'm finding in this area - but don't want to jump to conclusions over nothing lol

UPDATE: While looking at these samples in more depth, I've noticed that on one of the surface pieces that had a weathered side, quite worn by water, etc, that the silvery metal granules are completely untarnished - they shine and sparkle just like the fresh pieces inside - absolutely zero sign of weathering or oxidation. So it's definitely not silver - could it be platinum? What other silvery metals could look brand new and shiny on the weathered side?

While googling the heck out of different combinations - I'm not sure whether these are sulfates, sulfides, or even chlorides - but gold seems to be pretty consistent as a yellowy powder. Copper however, is more blue in sulfates than chlorides. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 1432820 View attachment 1432821 View attachment 1432822 View attachment 1432823 View attachment 1432824 View attachment 1432825 View attachment 1432826 View attachment 1432827 View attachment 1432828 View attachment 1432829

Can't see the hexagonal stuff. In #4 I see something what looks like feldspar, in case that's what's confusing you.
The blue is azurite, the green malachite.

Due to the silvery stuff being with copper ore - it might be chalcocite which forms in the oxidization zone of a ore body.
Just a guess, but chances are the silver stuff isn't metal - but sulphides or something similar.

Any precious metals might be "hidden" in the rock - effectively calling for an assay to be done.
Truth be told, if this was my find, I'd have it checked for precious metals. Especially if they've been found in the area before!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the next hill over, this green stone is totally infused with tiny grains of a yellow metal - a few of the larger grains should show in this zoomed pic

I am definitely investing in an iPhone macro lens - trying to shoot these through a cheap plastic jeweler's glass is a losing battle lol

A couple of the larger grains seem to be coppery, not yellow

Before I get too excited about this area - what else could they be, and how should I test to determine the difference?

Still waiting for a chance to use the XRF

BTW - ALLLLLL of those tiny specks that look like dust all over the rock, are tiny grains of this metal - you can probably only see the larger ones here as having color, but all the specks are yellow

View attachment 1432832 View attachment 1432833 View attachment 1432835

Blurry pics, troubling to get good ones I know. Can't help you much here. Looks to small to do any tests for ID, to.

Catinalynn

Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
green stone outside.jpg What is this? I inherited this and the gentleman is no longer with us. I have no idea where it was collected from. Possibly Montana.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread