What's new

Got close to a bear

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
2,184
Reaction score
3,162
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the first one from my front porch , he was about 15 ft away from me. Sorry the pic isn't better but he was on a mission and didn't stop.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF5300.webp
    DSCF5300.webp
    418.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF5303.webp
    DSCF5303.webp
    626.5 KB · Views: 111
Oh yeah, remember PikesPeakCharlie, if they start huffing and puffing and clicking their teeth, they are going to charge you, and the first charge will be a false charge. Uh...maybe, haha!
 
Oh yeah, remember PikesPeakCharlie, if they start huffing and puffing and clicking their teeth, they are going to charge you, and the first charge will be a false charge. Uh...maybe, haha!
They are cruising pretty good around here, getting busy putting on the weight.
This one didn't snort at me , though others have in the past and from farther away.
I was sitting on the front deck trying to get a pic of an Osprey , the bear came around the corner and walked right in front of me and went on around the other corner. I spoke to it, didn't pay any attention to me other than some side eye as it passed ☺ I'm told the Bear is my spirit animal , it is always a very special treat for me to see one. I'm lucky enough to see at least 3 to 4 a year 😎
 
See that over in Boulder the other day, PikesPeakCharlie, a guy out walking his dogs, ran into a sow and her cub, and she charged him? He tried to run, but got tangled up in the dog leashes, fell down, and the bear scratched his back. MIGHT have been a false charge, if he would have stood still and faced the bear down. Then again, let me know how that works out for you.
 
See that over in Boulder the other day, PikesPeakCharlie, a guy out walking his dogs, ran into a sow and her cub, and she charged him? He tried to run, but got tangled up in the dog leashes, fell down, and the bear scratched his back. MIGHT have been a false charge, if he would have stood still and faced the bear down. Then again, let me know how that works out for you.
Rginn, I didn't hear about that attack. What do ya mean "let me know how that works out for you " ??? Do ya think I tried to pet it 😂
 
If I can piggy back on your post, here's a pic from a day ago of a "Big" boar putting on weight for the winter snooze.
Big Bear !!!!! Thanks for sharing !!
 
I've chatted with a bunch of guides about how a bear charges. In general, they tell
me if the bear is charging with his head up, it's most likely a false charge. If he's
got his head down low, be ready to defend yourself.
 
Well PikesPeakCharlie, it happened to me. We had a sow and cub terrorizing the neighborhood dumpsters, so they said harass them and they'll learn they're not welcome. So I went into action, sleeping in the truck bed at nights til finally I got a chance. I chased them all over the neighborhood before sunup and finally, they went down in some bushes. I saw her stand up, then drop down. I heard those teeth chattering, and huffing and puffing, and here she came. I've been up against some scary things before, guns, knives, crazy people, but this ranks right up at the top. It was like a freight train. I stood my ground and she put on the brakes about 10 feet from me. Then the most amazing thing I've seen, she spun, leaped in the air, and landed on a tree trunk about 8 feet up. I conceded the field.
 
I've chatted with a bunch of guides about how a bear charges. In general, they tell
me if the bear is charging with his head up, it's most likely a false charge. If he's
got his head down low, be ready to defend yourself.
I think I'd assume the worst regardless of how his head was positioned.
 
Well PikesPeakCharlie, it happened to me. We had a sow and cub terrorizing the neighborhood dumpsters, so they said harass them and they'll learn they're not welcome. So I went into action, sleeping in the truck bed at nights til finally I got a chance. I chased them all over the neighborhood before sunup and finally, they went down in some bushes. I saw her stand up, then drop down. I heard those teeth chattering, and huffing and puffing, and here she came. I've been up against some scary things before, guns, knives, crazy people, but this ranks right up at the top. It was like a freight train. I stood my ground and she put on the brakes about 10 feet from me. Then the most amazing thing I've seen, she spun, leaped in the air, and landed on a tree trunk about 8 feet up. I conceded the field.
YOU ! Have some big brass ones my friend !!! No way am I chasing a bear into the brush !! Much less around town ☺ would have enjoyed seeing her do that leap though . I have had many bear encounters through all these years only 2 got scary ! One made me check to see if my pants were wet 😂😂 buuut , it comes down to , they are wild and totally unpredictable !! Enjoy ! But be smart and safe .
 
I think I'd assume the worst regardless of how his head was positioned.

Agreed. Still, I do not want to end a bears life unless it's necessary. If that
bear has it's head down and coming at me full-tilt, I'm going to shoot before
it gets too close. If it's got it's head up and giving me more of a "warning"
type of charge, I'm going to wait and see if it stops before I pull the trigger.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be ready to shoot in any case...but it's a split second
decision over my life and the bears life. No matter what, anything closer than
about 15 yds. and it's going to be a dead bear.
 
One thing you can do PikesPeakCharlie when the bear charges, is to throw sh*t at it. Where will you get that? Just reach back and it will be there, haha!
You bet !! 😂
 
Rginn, I didn't hear about that attack. What do ya mean "let me know how that works out for you " ??? Do ya think I tried to pet it 😂
I’ve had to say don’t pet the bears more than once 🙄. In early summer on a road trip through ABQ with my grandma one wandered onto the patio of the restaurant where we were eating. Took about 2 seconds to tell the New Mexicans from the out of state visitors.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom