Got my pans today!

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After I got my pans I was digging every patch of dirt I saw for a week.

No fair you've already got some saved :)

OP
OP
K

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang, I am such an addict. I also got a pound of paydirt in the mail today (yes, I found gold in three out of four pans=0.5 lb dirt) and find myself wanting to work it all, not saving half of it for my son like I had originally intended. As an alternative to bogartting the bag though, have sat down to buy more....lots more. Told my dh I neeeeeeeded another bag; know what he said? "You should always have a bag!" Right on! :occasion14:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far are you from Grant's Pass, Ore? And Have you heard of underwater sniping?

OP
OP
K

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm around 200 miles from Grant's Pass. No, I've never heard of underwater sniping. Tell me more.

Later: I went and looked at underwater sniping. Looks fun. I spent my teen years jumping off the rocks at LNF Santiam and Mill Creek. LOVE the natural pools, so this sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a copy of Sam Raddings book " Underwater Sniping"

OP
OP
K

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do; saw it on Amazon.

Thinking of this, I recall spear-fishing at Elkhorn and Mill creek. Ate a lot of crawdads!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of Scotchbrite, try 0000 steelwool. It will scratch it up, take out the oils, and the scratches will be SMALL yet effective. I use 0000 everytime I clean the residual dirt out of my pans. Effective yet not destructive. Try it. TTC

OP
OP
K

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good deal, then. That's what I used 'cause I couldn't find the Scotchbrite.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm around 200 miles from Grant's Pass. No, I've never heard of underwater sniping. Tell me more.

Later: I went and looked at underwater sniping. Looks fun. I spent my teen years jumping off the rocks at LNF Santiam and Mill Creek. LOVE the natural pools, so this sounds like a winner to me.

There are more than a handful of characters on this forum that specialize in sniping bedrock around rivers on west coast. They do quite well in relation to cost of equipment. Grants Pass Ore. has Rogue River nearby - its well-known for gold on hardpacked layers of "false bedrock". Check out utube vids of Rogue dredging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread