What's new

Got out some.

T Witko

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
432
Reaction score
727
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
The weather here has made it tough to get and hunt for about a week, but I did make it out. I picked up these 2 this morning. I'm not sure if if they're both points (the one on the right? ??) but seem similar in design. Any thoughts on them are appreciated.

I also found the chert scraper and one of the bone beads this morning. The hammer stone, bone flaker, bone bead other points and scrapers through out the past week.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20121107_193104-1.webp
    IMG_20121107_193104-1.webp
    197.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20121107_193139-1.webp
    IMG_20121107_193139-1.webp
    182.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2012-11-07_20-20-28_643-1.webp
    2012-11-07_20-20-28_643-1.webp
    190 KB · Views: 106
  • 2012-11-07_20-19-31_523-1.webp
    2012-11-07_20-19-31_523-1.webp
    221.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012-11-07_19-17-34_688.webp
    2012-11-07_19-17-34_688.webp
    391.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2012-11-07_19-15-08_605.webp
    2012-11-07_19-15-08_605.webp
    338.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 2012-11-07_21-33-22_874-1.webp
    2012-11-07_21-33-22_874-1.webp
    208.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-11-07_21-34-51_135-1.webp
    2012-11-07_21-34-51_135-1.webp
    170.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2012-11-07_21-34-10_462-1.webp
    2012-11-07_21-34-10_462-1.webp
    152.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok Kelly, one more post like this, and I'm moving to N. Dakota. Every post blows my socks off. ( let me go gather those by the way) those large blades are cool and is that a discoidal? What is it made of?
 
Possibly drills?. Although they look like a common arrowhead to me. I don't think every one of those are going to fit in a neat little type catagory. Nice stuff.
 
Last edited:
Wonderful looking finds! Nice little side-notches and drills. :thumbsup:
 
nice stuff from today and glad for you
i like it that you found a single notch point, they do show up every year, but just very few
rusty, the round piece is made of local field stone (granite) i think it is a grinding mortar of some type
a nice sunny north dakota afternoon with no mosquitoes or wood ticks
 
Ok Kelly, one more post like this, and I'm moving to N. Dakota. Every post blows my socks off. ( let me go gather those by the way) those large blades are cool and is that a discoidal? What is it made of?

Thanks. I picked up the round rock because of of all the obvious signs of use it has. This one is granite which itself is a very common field stone in this area. We find rocks with wear like this fairly often and this one, although I refer to it as a hammer stone, was more more likely used for grinding or crushing.
 
Last edited:
nice stuff from today and glad for you
i like it that you found a single notch point, they do show up every year, but just very few
rusty, the round piece is made of local field stone (granite) i think it is a grinding mortar of some type
a nice sunny north dakota afternoon with no mosquitoes or wood ticks

Thanks Steve, yes that little single notch point is pretty cool. I don't know if that type of point has been ID'd but in Stienbrueck's old drawings he identified this style only as a Mandan point.
 

Attachments

  • 39.webp
    39.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 89
T Witko said:
Thanks. I picked up the round rock because of of all the obvious signs of use it has. This one is granite which itself is a very common field stone in this area. We find rocks with wear loke this fairly often and this one, although I refer to it as a hammer stone, was more more likely used for grinding or crushing.

I didn't think about granite. It does come in about every color imaginable. So, Mano, not discoidal. Thanks Kelly. Keep up the good work
 
Great finds as always thanks for the look.
 
Very nice finds glad you saved them from the disc.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom