Gray Squirrels

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cowardly is shooting a defenseless animal.

Even baby seals are born with defenses. Namely, camouflage. White as the snow, maybe that's why seal pup pelts are so expensive.... :icon_scratch:

I'm trying to think of an animal I shot that might have been defenseless.

Nope, not a one.

Come to think of it, if any of them were defenseless then I wouldn't have had to shoot them. But come on over for a good old fashioned steak grilling and we can drink over it.

Don't worry, Farmer Bob will shoot your steer and cut out your steak for you. :thumbsup:

Bring your own beer, i only drink coffee.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think all this started over a damn grey squirrel,of which there must be billions in the U.S.alone,half of which are at some time during the day pissing some one,some where off.

We got a strain of grey squirrels around here that are black as the night. Some kind of genetic variation. There are one or two bits of woods that I know of where half the greys are flat black.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My neighbor has a wonderful garden. He protects it with a fence and netting over it to keep the birds out. Not hard to do. No need to shoot anything.

Some people just like to kill to take out their frustrations in life. They're too poor to give their family a good life, working a dead end job, short (in more ways than one) and so on. Or they were abused as a child, either physically, emotionally or sexually.

The concept of mercy and compassion is taught to most at a young age. Some get it and some don't. Those that don't, prefer to abuse or kill defenseless animals. Just the way it is...

I see dead animals all over the roads.
Have you quit driving a vehicle over it?
Have you hit any defenseless animals or birds while driving? Any bugs die on your radiator or windshield?
Somebody has been running over animals. You should stand on the roadside and voice your objection. Clear of traffic though..

Doing my own killing does not make me tough. It is less tough on critters though than other means of death.
Like I wrote earlier , raising a young critter up trusting your hand and being dependent on you for thier well being, then killing it is not like an animal that is dropped at ease in it's native habitat.

Have you taken a live animal to be butchered? I did , once. Didn't care for the stress on the animal. Or what happens after I drop it off. I'll spare your sensitive feelings as to what happens.
Do you believe the lobsters you eat have a fun party between being plucked from thier environment , and your table?
You could have a salad instead.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can,t eat salad if you,re true to your no killing ethic,the lettuce has to die!So if you kill the lettuce are you"short"?

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got a strain of grey squirrels around here that are black as the night. Some kind of genetic variation. There are one or two bits of woods that I know of where half the greys are flat black.
We have black squirrels too but strangely they,re all of the fox squirrel variety,no black greys,funny ain,t it?They,re always found in the river bottoms.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

we got em too, every once in a while one pops up. No areas that i have found that are populated with many, just one here and there.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing can be eaten unless something dies . even veggies are sprayed to kill insects .

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor has a wonderful garden. He protects it with a fence and netting over it to keep the birds out. Not hard to do. No need to shoot anything.

Some people just like to kill to take out their frustrations in life. They're too poor to give their family a good life, working a dead end job, short (in more ways than one) and so on. Or they were abused as a child, either physically, emotionally or sexually.

The concept of mercy and compassion is taught to most at a young age. Some get it and some don't. Those that don't, prefer to abuse or kill defenseless animals. Just the way it is...

I have fencing around my garden. Woodchucks are excellant diggers, they dig under the fencing. A bear knocked over a 6ft tall fence and ate my corn. I have netting over my blueberries, birds have a knack for finding the smallest opening and getting in to eat the berries. A dead end job...really, is that why people kill animals. Abused as a child???. You know you have lost this discussion and now you are making up silly nonsence.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jesus christ the seething judgment and assumptions of others actions and their upbringing even....You really think so highly of yourself that anyone who disagrees must be this pathetic failure or abused being? Your ego stroking at the expense of others is mind boggling, especially when you are trying to claim to be compassionate(the irony!) You do realize because someone hunts does not mean they enjoy killing and they have no compassion? I would go so far as to say in the majority hunters have MORE compassion and understanding of nature than non-hunters ever will. We understand what it takes to sustain life, and what happens when it is ended. We are usually the people in the midst of the areas that produce EVERYTHING that non hunters eat, and see what damage and cruelty happens to meet your demands. YOU are the dredges of society that you just stereotyped hunter to be. Also SHAME on you for assuming money=compassion and better people and relating being poor to being a worse person....all that money and stuff you spent on that netting and other prevention methods....stuff that causes more environmental problems and animal deaths from production, packaging, shipping, and disposal(save the ****ing turtles tim!). My one .22 round not only can save all that waste and pollution from happening...it also can give me a meal. 99 percent of the hunters I know are avid conservationist and some of the most compassionate people I know.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like it or not, hunting is part of management plans for many game species and the license monies also fund the conservation of non-game species (in some instances, it is the only source of funding). I've researched the earliest laws in my own state and found the original settlers were most concerned about predators like wolves, mountain lions and bears. Bounties resulted in the elimination of these top predators from the ecosystems by the late 1600's to early 1700's in many eastern colonies. Without natural predation, and with development that creates perfect edge habitat favored by these former prey species - especially deer, we have replaced the natural predators. Deer are truly overpopulated in many areas and hunting removes some of the overproduction. Of course, cars and disease also take some, but hunting is necessary to reduce the herds and that reduction in turn reduces accidents on the roads and some disease.

Hunting is a personal choice. We could have a reasonable debate about trophy hunting in some parts of the world, but here at home, real hunters serve a useful purpose in conservation and also take some meat home for their families. And some also choose to donate their shot deer to programs to feed those in need. In my state, there is even a provision on the state tax return to voluntarily donate to fund butchers to process deer and help to distribute the meat to the needy.

Since hunting is a personal choice, many people choose not to get so up-close and personal with shooting a wild animal. That is their choice and freedom. I hunted and shot enough deer when I was younger. I have too many hobbies in my old age to continue, and there are few places left close to home that provide a wilderness experience. Every single deer I shot was at very close range - a "can't miss" shot with either a 12 ga shotgun or .50 cal black powder, that took its life almost immediately. By the time I climbed down from the tree stand, every one had died. I suspect that quick death was more merciful than that suffered by the animals who provided the meat in the supermarket - which I do not purchase. Although an animal died by my actions, my behavior was always respectful and full of thought. Perhaps the small amount of native american blood still coursing through me made it seem natural to give thanks for each animal that gave its life.

I don't hunt anymore, but I still renew my license - because I know the funds are needed to manage game and non-game species.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be very complicated living without harming other life or interfering with their natural pursuits.

Can't wash you hands for fear of disturbing bacteria.

Can't treat your drinking water for fear of harming pathogens and single cell parasites.

Can't eat processed foods that have been pasteurized.

Can't swat mosquitoes or houseflies.

Can't spray or treat for carpenter ants or termites in your home.

Can't eat farmed produce raised where wildlife has had their natural habitat destroyed.

Can't drive a vehicle - as an estimated 41 million squirrels die on US roads annually (much more wildlife in general dies that way than hunters harvest).

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Infantryman:The ultimate hunter,where the prey shoots back!Apropos of nothing,I just like this.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope that's not a squirrel on that platter .
attachment.php

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 133

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would strongly discourage anyone from messing with the
squirrels in my area...they're known to be aggressive, and
the little monsters are like ninja's!

snake.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the last two generations that might not have heard it . . .

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend passed on this tail about one of his dealings with mr. bushey tail. Seems he was coming out of his house to the deck and on to his pool where he had guests, carrying a bowl of nuts and fruit . An aggressive bushy tail came out of no where and grabbed one of his nuts and took a bite. He later said he was very lucky because the critter did not grab his banana. Seems that with this thing the virus has made some fruit hard to get. Cant never tell about mother nature :)
Better not mess with my banana,nuts either!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw Ray Stevens once long time ago.A very nice man,he stayed at least an hour and a half after the show signing autographs,talking with folks and just in general a class act.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread