What's new

Grooved Axe (Todays Find)

Smurufett

Full Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
I have hunted for 15 years and this is my first grooved axe I have ever found. Thought I would share!Providence: Henderson County Texas.:laughing7:


Added a few more pics on page 2.
 

Attachments

  • ax.webp
    ax.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sweet find !!!
 
Thanks. I was excited to find it!
 
Hell yeah lol that's why we hunt HH
 
Amazing, has to feel like your ten years old again pulling that out.
 
Thats a nice find! I havent found one yet. Was it a dig find? I see the crack is why I ask. Heart breaker for sure.
 
No digging required. We live a stones throw from a lake and the lake has been good to our little hunting tribe. It naturally washes things out and its really low right now so there is lots of searchable ground. It was just laying there waiting on me.Lol
 
Does the crack go all the way through? Might be able to glue it.
 
No it is surface damage. Not very deep but it is damaged around the cutting edge (few chips). The lake probally knocked it around other rocks before the water dropped. Its a soild piece. That are not really common to find in my area so its just amazing that I found it at all. And heck yeah I was smiling like a kid!Love it! I told my boys "OMG I just found a fully grooved axe!"
 
Sure is a beauty! :icon_thumright:
 
Oh good I hate to find the great ones broken. What material is it made of looks like a nice one?
 
I'm debating that my-self. My mentor that taught me to hunt thinks it is red hematite. I think it looks more like Iron ore (common material for this area). But He has hunted for 40yr so hes probally right.
 
Yeah Hematite sounds rite. I find some once in a while made from it, well only 1 and it shows work but its either a scraper or a game piece. Mine is round and flat.
 
Thanks for all the replys and likes. gwhitson don't give up... It took me two years of learning before I found my first point. Now I'm a mean lean hunting machine and I have an advantage. I don't hunt alone. We number 6 in our little hunting tribe, so we can cover lots of ground in a day.
 
I have found grooved axe's in other parts of the country, but not in my local area:BangHead: Great find:occasion14:
 
Nice find! Hematite is iron ore by the way.
 
Yeah but its normally a higher grade thats considered hematite. This material s a lower grade to me. Its not nice and shiny or polished looking. Im not complaining. I still Love it! Once again thanks for all the replys and likes.
 
Congratulations on a great find. I have never found one so I am envious!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom