✅ SOLVED Guitar at Goodwill should I buy it?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kalamazoo looks original. IMG_20160619_165523.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes I bought it. And yes it appears to be original. I apologize I will send more pics later. I'm on my cellphone out of data. Its getting harder and harder to make good buys at goodwill but I think I got one today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its about time. The last 10 times I was at this location, I got nothing. I'm eating out at this moment. I will post more pics when I get home and maybe we can positively ID it. Thanks everybody. It may be a happy day.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If ya can't play it, what's the point ? If you can play it your ability transcends the value of the instrument.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If ya can't play it, what's the point ? If you can play it your ability transcends the value of the instrument.
LOL your funny. Well the answer is yes I can play guitar. But Im in a bad financial situation. I went from living in a tent, to a camper in the swamp, had an eye injury and now I have a very small efficiency apartment. I would love to keep it or give it away to another musician that would appreciate it but unfortunately the point here is that I want to properly identify it first and only then I may consider selling it. And yes it appears to be playable but a very long time since I played in a band.. Even if I cant play it, I can sell it and I believe it has monetary value.

I guess the point is: treasure is where you find it and this is a treasure site to share finds. Treasure can be found on the beach, in the trash, yard sale, flea market or Goodwill store with or without a metal detector.. This is what I do for a living, my only source of income in the summer, when Im not working and I was feeling sad today, but now I think I found a little bit of happiness. :thumbsup: Every little bit helps and Thank you God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!
More pics please. I have a huge guitar serial number data base so post a number and we will date it, and get a model number.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice!!
More pics please. I have a huge guitar serial number data base so post a number and we will date it, and get a model number.
Really? Thats cool. More pics. Im having some trouble posting. Serial number EK-1335 I believe Kalamazoo was made by Gibson.

View attachment 1327564 ebay pic sony 409.jpg ebay pic sony 410.jpg ebay pic sony 408.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, it's from the early years and you will make nice profit, I believe it's worth at least $1000 unless it needs lots of repair, in good condition maybe double that.

Nice!!

Early Kalamazoo guitars didn't have serial numbers or model numbers only FON numbers (Factory Order Number) starting with a letter/s, but the year should be easily determined by which letter/s the FON numbers starts with, the model of these guitars can only be determined by measurements and design features.

In the case of this guitar, the FON number starting with EK, puts it being made in 1939

http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html

http://www.guitarattic.com/Gibson Serial Numbers.htm

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/kalamazoo/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The more I look I realize this is a nice guitar. the entire neck I think is Rosewood.

ebay pic sony 408.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I had a pre cBs Fender Jazzmaster when I played in the 70s. I vaguely remember Kalamazoo but I was not a Gibson guy. And I think Kalamazoo were considered cheap. To think I almost didnt buy it. :BangHead: Im glad I did.

I hope the case is original. I will try to post pics. It got wet and the bottom warped , I guess in storage somewhere and I have some weights on it now as its drying. The guitar shows no water damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice score, it's from the early years and you will make nice profit, I believe it's worth at least $1000 unless it needs lots of repair, in good condition maybe double that.

Early Kalamazoo guitars didn't have serial numbers or model numbers only FON numbers (Factory Order Number) starting with a letter/s, but the year should be easily determined by which letter/s the FON numbers starts with, the model of these guitars can only be determined by measurements and design features.

In the case of this guitar, the FON number starting with EK, puts it being made in 1939

http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html

guitarattic

Vintage Kalamazoo Guitars

Thanks Im studying those links. I think its possible to find out who originally purchased it from the factory records.

I need to buy some tuning keys to replace the broken ones. They look like plastic or bakelite. Anyone know where?

Here are some more pics

PAT. 2132792 1938 appears to be all original.8-)

View attachment 1327605 View attachment 1327606 View attachment 1327607 patent tuning head US2132792-0.png kalamazoo2.jpg kalamazoo3.jpg kalamazoo4.jpg patent tuning head US2132792-0.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL your funny. Well the answer is yes I can play guitar. But Im in a bad financial situation. I went from living in a tent, to a camper in the swamp, had an eye injury and now I have a very small efficiency apartment. I would love to keep it or give it away to another musician that would appreciate it but unfortunately the point here is that I want to properly identify it first and only then I may consider selling it. And yes it appears to be playable but a very long time since I played in a band.. Even if I cant play it, I can sell it and I believe it has monetary value.

I guess the point is: treasure is where you find it and this is a treasure site to share finds. Treasure can be found on the beach, in the trash, yard sale, flea market or Goodwill store with or without a metal detector.. This is what I do for a living, my only source of income in the summer, when Im not working and I was feeling sad today, but now I think I found a little bit of happiness. :thumbsup: Every little bit helps and Thank you God.

yeah me too, haven't played in a band since I played with john isley and jack sonni

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. I believe it is a 1939 KG-11, get out your tape measure!

KG-11 - Flat-top Guitar - 1933-1939
Small body: 14 ¾”W x 17 ½” L
Mahogany B&S and Spruce Top
Rosewood fingerboard & bridge
Flat peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo
14-fret mahogany neck
Early versions had "zipper" sound hole binding ('33-34)
Most had single ivoroid SH binding ('35-38)
Flat-topped peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Im studying those links. I think its possible to find out who originally purchased it from the factory records.

I need to buy some tuning keys to replace the broken ones. They look like plastic or bakelite. Anyone know where?

Here are some more pics

View attachment 1327605 View attachment 1327606 View attachment 1327607 View attachment 1327609

Scroll down to set 305 click on the pic. If those are not the right tuners there are a lot more to check out.
Steven Kovacik-Luthier"

Scroll down to the Kalamazoo section, ALOT of info!
http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are some more pics

View attachment 1327605 View attachment 1327606 View attachment 1327607 View attachment 1327609

I would recommend getting a good quality set of tuners, Golden Age makes some that should fit it perfectly, probably run you more than you paid for the guitar, maybe $50.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gol...e&ie=UTF-8#q=Golden+Age+relic+tuners&tbm=shop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread