Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We were in an area in Middle Tennessee next to a creek where there was Civil War action as well as Native Americans in the area.I was trying to pinpoint something in the hole,thought it was a rock until the shape revealed itself in my hand. Needless to say,I was shocked but is it an arrowhead or a spear point? I'm guessing the overall length is around 3 inches.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, I dug one out of a post hole one time. The three inch length might make it a bit large for an arrow head, but it very well could be a point for an atl atl dart.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful point. That flaking is nice. Cool way you found it too.
Bosnmate, I found a nice point digging a post hole too. Came back after a rain and there it was. What are the odds of digging a random hole and finding a nice point?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Atl dart? Hmmm will have to Google that Bosn. I know nurseryman,how random is that?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always a good idea to show both sides so we can date the period for you as to the age. Its a dandy one being 3 inches long, congrats

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rock,a few people I know have looked at this point and deemed it to be from the archaic period but I will remember that tip next time ( hope there is a next time!) it has been fascinating reading about Native Americans in my area and how the Atlatl points worked.

Native American Atl-Atl | Native American Encyclopedia

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet!!!! I think it's a knife, there is a lot more furious work/rework/wear on one side, often a common trait of knives vs dart points. More wear and work and it would evolve into a dart point! :headbang:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice one,and i agree with tom.thanks for sharing,as were are pretty close,as in where we live.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look at you... digging a target, then finding that point,... nice. by the by....what was your target? or did you forget about it?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
look at you... digging a target, then finding that point,... nice. by the by....what was your target? or did you forget about it?

It was a big ugly shower head bout 6 inches down and yeah,forgot all about that sucker.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just finished a job in Murfreesboro a few months ago. I looked for points every chance I got and came up with a big fat zero! You scratch a little hole and BOOM! Nice point and I'm jealous of course.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions