What's new

HALF DOLLAR LOVE TOKEN, SEATED OR CAPPED?

Vino

Banned
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
3,804
Reaction score
5,046
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this lead token or coin wait..Not sure what it is.
So today I was in the city of Brotherly Love, back at one of my old spots, thats has beem so good to me and others over the years. The only problem with this place is there is so much iron it is hiding anything that is left.
Anyway after sifting yesterday, I thought about how much we miss do to the iron. So when I got any kind of signal I was digging it. When I popped the plug if there was pottery or glass in the hole I would dig deeper and put my pinpionter in and take out the iron. (Cant believe how much stuff we are missing just using a detector)! So one of the holes im doing this on, I was digging a mid tone what I thought could be a pewter button, was only a pop top!! Lol. But the was lots of pottery and glass in the hole i started to open up the hole more and more and pull out nails, and all kinds of iron. You had to see me sweating away. Any way I get this beep on the pinpointer and slam my shovel in because I thougjt it was just another nail, well out pops this coin!!! It was facing me with the E on it, I flip it over and scream no way!!! LOVE TOKEN.. My first one. I also gave it a nice HICKEY with the shovle. Glad it wasn't perfect to start.Iam very happy man!
Not sure if its seated or Capped?
I believe its seated.
Just goes to show 2 things,
1- Iron hides everything.
2- you dont need a detector to find treasures. Just a pinpointer. Lol
Also found a V nickel and a buff.
Thanks for looking.
George
 

Attachments

  • 1441312614317.webp
    1441312614317.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 1441312626770.webp
    1441312626770.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 1441312642540.webp
    1441312642540.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 1441312657200.webp
    1441312657200.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 1441312673081.webp
    1441312673081.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 1441312698050.webp
    1441312698050.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 1441312706610.webp
    1441312706610.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 1441312716130.webp
    1441312716130.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 1441312727871.webp
    1441312727871.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 1441312736832.webp
    1441312736832.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 1441312746311.webp
    1441312746311.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 1441312759020.webp
    1441312759020.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 1441312768750.webp
    1441312768750.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 72
Another day, another call from King George with another spectacular find! Am I jealous, of course I am. Am I happy for you? 100% thrilled to see the treasures you've amassed this summer. Have fun with Sweet Tea and Smitty this weekend.
 
WOW. A seated 50c Love Token.....:notworthy:
 
Wow, great stuff! I think that's the first love token half dollar I've seen, ever. Might be worth considerably more to a love token collector due to the very large denomination of the original coin!

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks Buck, I was looking on line last night, there seem to quite a few halfs in the love token society.
George
 
Another day, another call from King George with another spectacular find! Am I jealous, of course I am. Am I happy for you? 100% thrilled to see the treasures you've amassed this summer. Have fun with Sweet Tea and Smitty this weekend.

Thanks Jay, look forward to there visit! Great guys!!!!
 
Awesome love token, my buddys Ed upstate,and B.Ratny have both found seated dimes made into a love tokens, a really cool find congrats...
 
As usual, a fantastic hunt! That love token is a beautiful coin, congratulations!
 
Awesome love token, my buddys Ed upstate,and B.Ratny have both found seated dimes made into a love tokens, a really cool find congrats...

Thanks PP.
My first also!
 
That thing is so cool! You've knocked down some bucket listers this season buddy
 
That thing is so cool! You've knocked down some bucket listers this season buddy

Thanks Abe,
There is still one big one out there for you and me!!!!!;-)
 
Thanks Abe,
There is still one big one out there for you and me!!!!!;-)

Yup one of these days that $100,000 dollar coin will show up.
 
most awesome half. I would think that would have to belong to someone of means to be able to afford to convert 50 cents into a token. it would have to be seated because the New Orleans mint began operations in 1838 which was the last year of the bust half, and none of the 1838-O halves were made for circulation. Only an estimated 20 were produced as proofs and those had the mintmark on the obverse
 
most awesome half. I would think that would have to belong to someone of means to be able to afford to convert 50 cents into a token. it would have to be seated because the New Orleans mint began operations in 1838 which was the last year of the bust half, and none of the 1838-O halves were made for circulation. Only an estimated 20 were produced as proofs and those had the mintmark on the obverse

Thanks JG,
It is one of my favorite finds
I appreciate the info on the coin.
George
 
First Half Dollar Love Token I have ever even heard of. Boy that must REALLY be LOVE.:thumbsup:
 
I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Beautiful workmanship on that 50 C love token. My vote is in.
 
I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Beautiful workmanship on that 50 C love token. My vote is in.

Thanks terpfan.
George
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom