What's new

HALF DOLLAR LOVE TOKEN, SEATED OR CAPPED?

Vino

Banned
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
3,804
Reaction score
5,046
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this lead token or coin wait..Not sure what it is.
So today I was in the city of Brotherly Love, back at one of my old spots, thats has beem so good to me and others over the years. The only problem with this place is there is so much iron it is hiding anything that is left.
Anyway after sifting yesterday, I thought about how much we miss do to the iron. So when I got any kind of signal I was digging it. When I popped the plug if there was pottery or glass in the hole I would dig deeper and put my pinpionter in and take out the iron. (Cant believe how much stuff we are missing just using a detector)! So one of the holes im doing this on, I was digging a mid tone what I thought could be a pewter button, was only a pop top!! Lol. But the was lots of pottery and glass in the hole i started to open up the hole more and more and pull out nails, and all kinds of iron. You had to see me sweating away. Any way I get this beep on the pinpointer and slam my shovel in because I thougjt it was just another nail, well out pops this coin!!! It was facing me with the E on it, I flip it over and scream no way!!! LOVE TOKEN.. My first one. I also gave it a nice HICKEY with the shovle. Glad it wasn't perfect to start.Iam very happy man!
Not sure if its seated or Capped?
I believe its seated.
Just goes to show 2 things,
1- Iron hides everything.
2- you dont need a detector to find treasures. Just a pinpointer. Lol
Also found a V nickel and a buff.
Thanks for looking.
George
 

Attachments

  • 1441312614317.webp
    1441312614317.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 1441312626770.webp
    1441312626770.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 1441312642540.webp
    1441312642540.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 1441312657200.webp
    1441312657200.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 1441312673081.webp
    1441312673081.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 1441312698050.webp
    1441312698050.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 1441312706610.webp
    1441312706610.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 1441312716130.webp
    1441312716130.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 1441312727871.webp
    1441312727871.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 1441312736832.webp
    1441312736832.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 1441312746311.webp
    1441312746311.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 1441312759020.webp
    1441312759020.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 1441312768750.webp
    1441312768750.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 72
And THAT is why you were chosen as Time's Person of the Year!
That token is one of your best finds. When I saw the " CP " disk, I immediately thought " Canadian Pacific ", the railroad company that runs through here. I doubt your find has anything to do with it. Hopefully a rail buff can confirm that though. Another very nice hunt for you.
 
Thanks Chris, you know the place!!
You were there. Dave was there, Scrappy was there, Man if that place could talk huh????

Yes sir, got my 1 and only KG there, ya know Mr 400 grit lol
 
Last edited:
And THAT is why you were chosen as Time's Person of the Year!
That token is one of your best finds. When I saw the " CP " disk, I immediately thought " Canadian Pacific ", the railroad company that runs through here. I doubt your find has anything to do with it. Hopefully a rail buff can confirm that though. Another very nice hunt for you.

I think you missed your calling Dave.
Computer graphics!
You might be right about the railroad.
I was hoping to be alot older though.
But hey,ill take it!! Lol
 
Yes sir, got my 1 and only KG there, ya know Mr 400 grit lol

No you got one at another one of my sites also..That one was perfect! !!!
 
I've got one good site. I don't think you have one bad site
 
That's one monster love token George! Somebody must have been pretty upset when that turned up missing!
 
I believe I nailed down the date range?
 

Attachments

  • 1441318238653.webp
    1441318238653.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 90
Vino,

I'd say your lead item is most probably a bale seal.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Vino,

I'd say your lead item is most probably a bale seal.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill, but im thinking something else. I found a hole lot of bale seals and cloth seals.
This would be a new one to me.
 
That's one monster love token George! Somebody must have been pretty upset when that turned up missing!

Thanks Steve, or he might have cheated on her and throw it away???? Haha.
 
I'm thinking it's some sort of trade weight. I found a similar item on a Colonial era site but without any markings. I still don't know exactly what it is.
 

Attachments

  • What Is It (WII004)148.webp
    What Is It (WII004)148.webp
    223.7 KB · Views: 111
  • What Is It (WII004)149.webp
    What Is It (WII004)149.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 108
Man, when you texted me the pic of that Seated love token fresh outta the dirt, my jaw literally dropped. I don't think I remember seeing a Seated half love token posted before, so it's pretty special. I am going to vote banner for sure.

Big congrats on a very unique find!
 
Thanks Brad, you gave me the inspiration! And Bill pushed me! Lol
Yes, crazy how much stuff we cant find because of iron. Even a half!
Big silver coin like that.
George

Glad I could help, but Bill was my motivation to give it a try too! It's amazing how much is masked down there. I didn't even post my 4th sifting trip (last Saturday) because it was a bunch more of the same stuff I got on my first 3 trips. My 4th trip turned up about 6 tombac and flat buttons as well as a CW General Service coat button and a Kepi hat buckle. All 100% masked by the 3 dozen or so rose head and square nails I pulled out of that section. Then a slew of porcelain, bone and shell buttons, with assorted pottery. I can only hope a big silver falls out of my pit like yours... and a Love Token would make it so much better. Those finds are a great surprise. Well done man.
 
Man, when you texted me the pic of that Seated love token fresh outta the dirt, my jaw literally dropped. I don't think I remember seeing a Seated half love token posted before, so it's pretty special. I am going to vote banner for sure.

Big congrats on a very unique find!

Thanks Mike. It was a great feeling.
Hope you did ok tonight?
 
Awesome finds, I am doing the exact same thing trying to unmask finds. It is working too but it is a lot of work. Thanks for adding another (want to) find on my bucket list.
 
Thanks Mike. It was a great feeling.
Hope you did ok tonight?

Two clad dimes, two junk pennies, and a Gettysburg quarter....lol!
 
Really liking the love token Vino that's one great find and hopefully you'll remember the dig for many years to come. I dug a seated quarter many years ago that was made into a love token, which also had a pin attachment. I think date was a 1853, anyways it's still one of favourite finds to date.
 
Great day but that love token half is to die for! I've only found 2 70's Kennedy halves, I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom