What's new

HALF DOLLAR LOVE TOKEN, SEATED OR CAPPED?

Vino

Banned
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
3,804
Reaction score
5,046
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this lead token or coin wait..Not sure what it is.
So today I was in the city of Brotherly Love, back at one of my old spots, thats has beem so good to me and others over the years. The only problem with this place is there is so much iron it is hiding anything that is left.
Anyway after sifting yesterday, I thought about how much we miss do to the iron. So when I got any kind of signal I was digging it. When I popped the plug if there was pottery or glass in the hole I would dig deeper and put my pinpionter in and take out the iron. (Cant believe how much stuff we are missing just using a detector)! So one of the holes im doing this on, I was digging a mid tone what I thought could be a pewter button, was only a pop top!! Lol. But the was lots of pottery and glass in the hole i started to open up the hole more and more and pull out nails, and all kinds of iron. You had to see me sweating away. Any way I get this beep on the pinpointer and slam my shovel in because I thougjt it was just another nail, well out pops this coin!!! It was facing me with the E on it, I flip it over and scream no way!!! LOVE TOKEN.. My first one. I also gave it a nice HICKEY with the shovle. Glad it wasn't perfect to start.Iam very happy man!
Not sure if its seated or Capped?
I believe its seated.
Just goes to show 2 things,
1- Iron hides everything.
2- you dont need a detector to find treasures. Just a pinpointer. Lol
Also found a V nickel and a buff.
Thanks for looking.
George
 

Attachments

  • 1441312614317.webp
    1441312614317.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 1441312626770.webp
    1441312626770.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 1441312642540.webp
    1441312642540.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 1441312657200.webp
    1441312657200.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 1441312673081.webp
    1441312673081.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 1441312698050.webp
    1441312698050.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 1441312706610.webp
    1441312706610.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 1441312716130.webp
    1441312716130.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 1441312727871.webp
    1441312727871.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 1441312736832.webp
    1441312736832.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 1441312746311.webp
    1441312746311.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 1441312759020.webp
    1441312759020.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 1441312768750.webp
    1441312768750.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 72
Really liking the love token Vino that's one great find and hopefully you'll remember the dig for many years to come. I dug a seated quarter many years ago that was made into a love token, which also had a pin attachment. I think date was a 1853, anyways it's still one of favourite finds to date.

Thanks Pepper, this will definitely be a hunt I wouldn't forget!
 
Way to go George, regardless of the banner guidelines this one belongs across the top. A seated half would make anyone's year but the personal touch puts it over the top for me. My vote is in :thumbsup: Here's a few pictures of the one I recovered last year...perhaps the E in your's is the same ELSIE mine refers to...I'll be it a bit more modest lol

20150903_211132_resized.webp20150903_211201_resized.webp
 
Last edited:
Wow jon, that one is in great shape!! I didn't know you found one also! Very cool.
I hope you can join me on the little trip??? Lol
 
Wow. Looks like you had another great hunt.
That love token is killer. I would be super excited if I found that, esp since it is the letter "E".
Hell I would be excited to find a seated half in that condition, but since its hand-crafted/customized it makes it even nicer/neater.
The letters CP seem familiar like I have come across them many times.
I have found a lead disk similar to that one in a park next to a railroad depot, but it didn't have any letters and had 3 holes in a triangular pattern in the center.
Good luck on getting an ID on that.
 
That is beyond awesome! :notworthy: I'm guessing you will end up with your fourth banner soon!
 
My son found a large (almost silver dollar size) CP Unknown also.....years ago.........http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/38046-large-thick-silver-dollar-size-lead-thing.html Not sure if I ever saw a Half Dollar Love token dug or not and do agree, it is was a Seated Half. My quarter Love token was analyzed by the President of the love token society eons ago and thought to be from a Seated Quarter, despite both sides being inscribed...

Thanks Don, it definitely is the same stamping. I geuss you never found out huh?
 
A seated half alone would be the find of a life time nevermind turned into a love token, so AWESOME!!

BANNER all the way!!!



Btw- I'm still looking for a Walker.
 
Consensus among the most reasonable people on that thread say trade weight....I'm guessing mine is also a trade weight....did you see it several posts up? I was reminded on that find when I saw the weight you found today.

Also casting my Banner vote on the Seated Half Love Token -- I don't recall seeing a love token posted here made from a half dollar. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Consensus among the most reasonable people on that thread say trade weight....I'm guessing mine is also a trade weight....did you see it several posts up? I was reminded on that find when I saw the weight you found today.

Also casting my Banner vote on the Seated Half Love Token -- I don't recall seeing a love token posted here made from a half dollar. :thumbsup:

Thanks Erik,
Looks very similar, is yours made out of lead also?
 
Thanks Erik,
Looks very similar, is yours made out of lead also?

Yes and it was gilted. It's a bit concave on each side. I thought maybe a gaming piece, but it's quite heavy for that I think. It certainly seems like a trade weight and was found very near an old mill.
 
That half dollar love token is downright awesome. :notworthy:
 
Wow. Looks like you had another great hunt.
That love token is killer. I would be super excited if I found that, esp since it is the letter "E".
Hell I would be excited to find a seated half in that condition, but since its hand-crafted/customized it makes it even nicer/neater.
The letters CP seem familiar like I have come across them many times.
I have found a lead disk similar to that one in a park next to a railroad depot, but it didn't have any letters and had 3 holes in a triangular pattern in the center.
Good luck on getting an ID on that.

Thanks Erik, It was a big surprise, when it came out.
 
Love the token, and the half. Im sorry I missed your call and your sifting this morning but you're da man! Next time you're in my area lets sift some 1670 dirt. Next time you sift give me a ring.

Scrappy
 
Absolutely awesome dig!!! Congrats
 
Wow, great stuff! I think that's the first love token half dollar I've seen, ever. Might be worth considerably more to a love token collector due to the very large denomination of the original coin!

Cheers,

Buck
 
Definatley seated
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom