What's new

Half error or not? Solved: Its a ragged clipped planchet

Ifyndit

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Half error or not? Solved: It's a ragged clipped planchet

I just found this one minutes ago. I think I have read about this type of error but I can't remember what it is called.

The coin is missing a portion of the edge and if you look closely you can see cracks radiating from the break. The half also sounds like a magicians coin when dropped lightly. No silver "ring" sound just kind of that dull "thud". I think the sound is a result of the cracks/defects in the planchet.

Also, if you look 180 degrees opposite the break there appears to be a Blakesley effect, similar to what a clipped planchet would have.

What do you all think.........error or not?
 

Attachments

  • DSC02577.webp
    DSC02577.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC02578.webp
    DSC02578.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC02579.webp
    DSC02579.webp
    34 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC02580.webp
    DSC02580.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC02581.webp
    DSC02581.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
Re: Half error or not?

I'm no expert but your great photo's clearly show the coins anomaly. It does look like the planchet had a chunk of metal missing and the cracks you noted are probably just the metal filling in when the coin was stamped. Just my observation. Interesting find though. Hope an expert can clear up the mystery. I have never seen one like that.

Mojo
 
Re: Half error or not?

I think I found the answer to my question. I believe this type of error is called a ragged clipped planchet.
 
Re: Half error or not?

Ifyndit said:
I think I found the answer to my question. I believe this type of error is called a ragged clipped planchet.

I'll agree with that. Very cool find! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Half error or not? Solved: It's a ragged clipped planchet

Is it big enough to be a bottle opener?? :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom