What's new

Hammered silver Cob & Capped bust silver!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hammered silver Cob & Capped bust silver!!!

I had quite an afternoon hunting the "fringes" of my 1670 colonial site. This fringe area is where I've always suspected the oldest finds were, but never found anything older than the 1870's. Until today.

First up was a nice Barber dime to warm me up and get me into a hunt I was convinced wasn't going to be fruitful. A great start!!

Next I came across a signal surrounded by iron. It was low at 12-42 with iron everywhere. The iron hit was slightly off-tempo from the high so I dug it. BOOM! A capped bust liberty dime!!!! 1834. Elated I check the surrounding area. Nothing for 20 minutes then...

I happened upon a washed out section of grass, about 3' from a COLONIAL road. It was a one cent signal,12-41, on the CTX. It sounded crisp and clean unlike a cent, so I dug it despite being 3" deep. I said to myself before I dug, "if I don't dig this I'll always wonder". Praying for a seated dime I was surprised on what happened next. Well there she was, a beautiful cob!

Charles 2nd 1-real cob, Mexico mint. 1665-1700.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994705.061881.webp
Love at first sight
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994736.047961.webp
This photo shows how close to the road I found the cob

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994588.537147.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994599.783949.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994615.504619.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994627.178431.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994641.027388.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994660.060661.webp

And more help with the cob ID and narrowing the date is greatly appreciated. Also much appreciation to my pal Bill of VA. for listening to me giggle on the telephone, and for steering me in the right direction for ID.

Happy hunting!

Steve
 
Upvote 86
I'd call that an atomic trifecta....wow!
 
You're really killing it out there! :treasurechest::thumbsup:
 
Very cool, always wanted one of those.....maybe one day....
 
That's one truly amazing find. Kudos!

Thx sweetlook.Yep, I stood there saying "are u kidding me?" For about a minute. It came from a high modern junk area so seeing that pop out blew my mind
 
Congrats on the three, what a day for you digging! Such a great range of history in those three coins now they're yours to enjoy.
 
Hammered silver Cob & Capped bust silver!!!

Thats awsome Steve!!
But really???? Holding out on us? Now I can never trust you again.
A Cob is up there on my wish list.
That was Definitely a Banner day there.
Congrats.
Ps, dont worry about IP, his explorer couldn't handle the iron on that site..All it would do is NULL!!!!!

Thx for the Banner nod George. For me it's pretty wild to hold a hand-hammered coin and see the clipped edges, possibly from when it was minted.
 
Last edited:
Damn steve, that's gonna be a tough one to beat!, I need to come on over and help ya try! Lol awesome awesome finds my man!
 
That's a day you will remember for sure! Very nice coin finds, Scrappy. :)
 
Some rich Spaniard tossed that at the peons as his coach whisked by, coating them with his dust as they battled for the bright silver.

Haha. That could very well be the case. Or maybe Captain Kidd was in town and needed to pay off some politicians!
 
That looks identical to the cob I found a couple months back. Mine you could see the date. 1664. Great find!!!! Congrats!!!!
 
Those are some great coin finds! Spanish cobs are among the oldest coins you can find in the US. :notworthy:
 
Congrats on the three, what a day for you digging! Such a great range of history in those three coins now they're yours to enjoy.

Thanks Pepp. Kind of interesting that they're all about the same size. The con is about 50% heavier though
 
Thanks Pepp. Kind of interesting that they're all about the same size. The con is about 50% heavier though

I noticed the sizes also Scrappy, I now wondering if the Cob was valued higher for the 50%?
 
I noticed the sizes also Scrappy, I now wondering if the Cob was valued higher for the 50%?

I think they weight based a lot of trade then. Trade weights were common since clipping was rampant. I would say probably?
 
Oh wow! That's just amazing!
 
Damn steve, that's gonna be a tough one to beat!, I need to come on over and help ya try! Lol awesome awesome finds my man!

Chris! Haha. Didn't I just say to you a couple of days ago that your 1728 spanish silver has me beat? Lol. Oh and hey thanks for the banner nod.
 
That's a day you will remember for sure! Very nice coin finds, Scrappy. :)

I will remember that cob and capped bust day forever. The coin date may even pre-date the site I found it on. I'm just so grateful I found it;)
 
It must be a Great feeling knowing that you have that much History to dig up and succeeding in recovering it...Congrats on a great Old coin...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom