What's new

Hammered silver Cob & Capped bust silver!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hammered silver Cob & Capped bust silver!!!

I had quite an afternoon hunting the "fringes" of my 1670 colonial site. This fringe area is where I've always suspected the oldest finds were, but never found anything older than the 1870's. Until today.

First up was a nice Barber dime to warm me up and get me into a hunt I was convinced wasn't going to be fruitful. A great start!!

Next I came across a signal surrounded by iron. It was low at 12-42 with iron everywhere. The iron hit was slightly off-tempo from the high so I dug it. BOOM! A capped bust liberty dime!!!! 1834. Elated I check the surrounding area. Nothing for 20 minutes then...

I happened upon a washed out section of grass, about 3' from a COLONIAL road. It was a one cent signal,12-41, on the CTX. It sounded crisp and clean unlike a cent, so I dug it despite being 3" deep. I said to myself before I dug, "if I don't dig this I'll always wonder". Praying for a seated dime I was surprised on what happened next. Well there she was, a beautiful cob!

Charles 2nd 1-real cob, Mexico mint. 1665-1700.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994705.061881.webp
Love at first sight
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994736.047961.webp
This photo shows how close to the road I found the cob

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994588.537147.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994599.783949.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994615.504619.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994627.178431.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994641.027388.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438994660.060661.webp

And more help with the cob ID and narrowing the date is greatly appreciated. Also much appreciation to my pal Bill of VA. for listening to me giggle on the telephone, and for steering me in the right direction for ID.

Happy hunting!

Steve
 
Upvote 86
Scrappy, that is truly incredible! What finds, I'd be stoked! That Cob is so cool and so is the Cap, I'd be amazed if I found that all in one hunt. Way to go brother, great job, keep it coming! HH :occasion14:
 
Holy crap- friggin unbelievable!!! Not one, but 2 career finds on one hunt, and the Barber dime's not too shabby either-- a BIG CONGRATS to you!

-- Jeff --

It was one of those hunts I'll remember forever. Thanks

Steve
 
Awesome day there Scrappy. Gotta love it when frequently visited sites keep coughing up the goods! Congrats!

Thx Evo. It's definitely one of those spots. 5 acres can never be covered fully IMHO. I'll be back there for years
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom