What's new

Hand ax

rls2040

Full Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
180
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
I found this in Washington County, Ga., I am pretty sure it is a hand ax,my question is what archaeological period does it belong. Any other ideas of what it is would be welcomed....Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-3033006163.webp
    image-3033006163.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3184606536.webp
    image-3184606536.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1176034016.webp
    image-1176034016.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image-754654494.webp
    image-754654494.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2705087499.webp
    image-2705087499.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-4045797801.webp
    image-4045797801.webp
    20 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1580035479.webp
    image-1580035479.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
It seems to fit the bill as a hand axe/ chopper.. That blunt end should fit fairly decent in your palm.
Neat little fossil shell inclusion on that end.
I would need projectile points in association with that to begin to venture a guess of its age.
Cool piece.
 
This would be very imprecise but if you found dateable projectile points of the same material close by you may be able to determine to some degree its age by the amount of patina
 
I like artifacts like those large biface pieces !!! So many ways to b used nice find ;)
 
May possible be a preform that didn't work out or never finished. May have been to thick or something. Maybe a hand axe to.
 
Gator Boy, I did find lots of points on this one site,I sent them to Dr.Sue Moore at Georgia Southern University,she said that from the things I sent her that the site was inhabited from around 6000 BP to 600 AD.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Gator Boy this site was about 100 acres ,triangular in shape,from the highway going back the property lines were two creeks,one on south side and the other on the north side.There was about 4-500 feet of floodplain on the rear and had out cropping of chert as big as a small car. Most of the things we found were slightly uphill from floodplain.It was property we were leasing for deer hunting and to my dismay the property was sold and as of now I have not access to it...Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
I find these along with archaic points. I have found three of these hand axes I do believe. I'll post a pic or two in a minute. I've seen field reports that suggest these axes were used in all periods and have been found from coast to coast, if I'm not mistaken! Nice find
 
I believe this is one of those artifacts that could be multi use.Nice find!!! Do you have the grooved hardstone axes there.I dont know if they were used at the same time.But that maybe a way of dating it.
 
Here are the two I said I'd post. I'm not sure what state you are in but y'all's lithic is way nicer than what I find. The work on your axe is much more apparent.

image-226380786.webp



image-432644223.webp



image-1386738867.webp



image-1488704083.webp
 
Nice chopper and JMO they were used in all time periods :thumbsup:
 
Marine jam,here are some pics of two I found this week,notice the finger protection groove on the first one...Carl. Finger groove on second pic

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-2717375786.webp
    image-2717375786.webp
    12 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3070273965.webp
    image-3070273965.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2217840264.webp
    image-2217840264.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-671837954.webp
    image-671837954.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1832826161.webp
    image-1832826161.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image-886073152.webp
    image-886073152.webp
    32 KB · Views: 119
toolbiface4quiz.webp
​
Three of these are from Florida, the fourth is much, much earlier than any Florida artifact. Which is the really early chopper/hand axe?
 
Here's one of my Florida finds.

ForumRunner_20140214_155442.webp



ForumRunner_20140214_155525.webp
 
Intresting thread. Always wondered if they were from one particular time period. It seems they used a material that was plentiful in an area. Around here it's slate.hand axe 001.webphand axe 004.webphand axe 006.webphand axe 007.webphand axe 010.webp
 
Kevin in in. I see your slate do you have any points made of it? Also have you ever found any white slate?Thanks for the look.
 
Kevin in in. I see your slate do you have any points made of it? Also have you ever found any white slate?Thanks for the look.

Mainejman, I seen one a friend found, appeared to be white slate, effigy of an arrowhead.
 
Kevin in In could i get you to look at a thread i posted...Im speechless..Did the white slate look like that?
 
Mainejman, I seen one a friend found, appeared to be white slate, effigy of an arrowhead.

Ahhh... I have a question how do you take a piece of stone and make it look like an arrow head without it being an arrowhead? I mean what would make you call it an effigy?
 
Maybe a answer for this big chunk I kept cause I could tell it had been worked.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0170.webp
    DSCN0170.webp
    132.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0171.webp
    DSCN0171.webp
    167.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0172.webp
    DSCN0172.webp
    130.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0173.webp
    DSCN0173.webp
    115.9 KB · Views: 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom