What's new

Hand ax

rls2040

Full Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
180
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
I found this in Washington County, Ga., I am pretty sure it is a hand ax,my question is what archaeological period does it belong. Any other ideas of what it is would be welcomed....Carl

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-3033006163.webp
    image-3033006163.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3184606536.webp
    image-3184606536.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1176034016.webp
    image-1176034016.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image-754654494.webp
    image-754654494.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2705087499.webp
    image-2705087499.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-4045797801.webp
    image-4045797801.webp
    20 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1580035479.webp
    image-1580035479.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
Kevin in In could i get you to look at a thread i posted...Im speechless..Did the white slate look like that?
Sure, How do I find the thread?
 
Ahhh... I have a question how do you take a piece of stone and make it look like an arrow head without it being an arrowhead? I mean what would make you call it an effigy?
GatorBoy, I suppose you could say if it looks like an arrowhead it is an arrowhead, but one could see it was only made to represent one and not function as one. All edges and surface are polished smooth. Grooves are ground to make it look like a stem or base. I think it meant for a child to play with or as a grave offering. Its been 25 yrs. since I seen it, but I made a sketch from memory.2-17-14 002.webp I haven't seen him in awhile,when I do I'll get a picture of it. It is a very unique relic.
 
Kevin in In heres a pic an archeologist has told me he thought it to be slate.But no one has seen it except for pics.

ForumRunner_20140217_185848.webp

I was wandering if the white slate looked the same thanks...
 

toolbiface4quiz.webp

toolhandaxeAcheulean.webp

​
The tool second from left is an Acheulean hand-axe recovered in Lebanon in 1982 by a UN peacekeeper. Here's the lowdown on Acheulean hand-axes from the U. of Mo. Museum of Anthro. web-site:

Acheulean ~1.6 million to 200,000 years ago
The Acheulean tradition constituted a veritable revolution in stone-age technology. Acheulean stone tools - named after the site of St. Acheul on the Somme River in France where artifacts from this tradition were first discovered in 1847 - have been found over an immense area of the Old World. Reports of handaxe discoveries span an area extending from southern Africa to northern Europe and from western Europe to the Indian sub-continent.

Acheulean stone tools are the products of homo erectus, a closer ancestor to modern humans. Not only are the Acheulean tools found over the largest area, but it is also the longest-running industry, lasting for over a million years. The earliest known Acheulean artifacts from Africa have been dated to 1.6 million years ago. The oldest Acheulean sites in India are only slightly younger than those in Africa. In Europe, the earliest Acheulean tools appear just after 800,000 years ago, as H. erectus moved north into Africa.

Acheulean technology is best characterized by its distinctive stone handaxes. These handaxes are pear shaped, teardrop shaped, or rounded in outline, usually 12–20 cm long and flaked over at least part of the surface of each side (bifacial). There is considerable variation in size and quality of workmanship.

Acheulean handaxes were multi-purpose tools used in a variety of tasks. Studies of surface-wear patterns reveal the uses of the handaxe included the butchering and skinning of game, digging in soil, and cutting wood or other plant materials. Additionally, Acheulean tools are sometimes found with animal bones that show signs of having been butchered.
 
Yowser! It's definatly hard to date those choppers. If the blunt end fits your hand so the mechanical advantage to the business end is obvious, chances are its a chopper. They transend all time periods, and they sure are neat. Thanks for showing. Lone Star
 
Well said lone star.
 
Simply for reference, a couple of slate "points" intended as ornaments, both about 1 1/2". New England.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    123.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    96 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom