Hang up the Detector because of Cold Weather? Not bloody likely!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I have made some of my best finds in the winter months being that the brush and bushes are tamed down a bit and the temperature keeps the bugs away. Nothing is more satisfying than digging an old coin in the woods when the snow flakes are falling!

So Michigan - let's not slow down just yet, happy holidays and give me my coat and shovel!! :icon_sunny:

Ian

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I appreciate the thought Ian!
For those of us in the Northern Lower the gound will freeze, and snow may be 3 or more feet thick soon.
For those in the Upper Penninsula...... Well, what kind of metal detector works deep enough to be useful on snowshoes?

Thanks,
Mark

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hello friends, from Illinois, here. I've got to agree with Ian on this topic. There's nothing like heading out to an old location with potential in the cold weather and digging up old coins while liquid mucous is dripping out of your nose and you're sniffing more than a coke addict! Providing the ground isn't frozen, which it usually is during Jan-Feb. Oh well.

Joe

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You got that right! Didn't get my detecter till Thanksgiving of last year, was still diggin into January. Couldn't put it down!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Was able to hunt into January last season ....no bugs....no weeds....no people.
Just me and that next signal.
Also ...less harm to those cut grass areas....no brown plugs.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
LOL,
Wow Jack, that procoil is working, ain't it? I can see why you would resist winter just when you are getting on a serious roll!

Ok, Blasting Caps it is! I've got a big cordless hammer drill. Now, just need to make sure I don't get tangled in my snowshoes after I light the fuse.

Good Luck!
Mark

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out today in 33 degree weather, light winds, a few snowflakes. Was a bit cold, but I've yet to don my warmest coats and such. Only found a 1951 wheat and some clad, but I see the possiblities. We'll see how far I take it. But tomorrow is supposed to be a good day.

Good luck,
HH.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Can't get out today. The rest of the week looks like rain rain snow. Saturday is opening of Firearm Deer Season.

I'm really hoping for some decent weather into December. Time will tell.

Snowshoes and a LOOOOOOOOOONG lower shaft!

Mark

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I actually prefer hunting in colder weather and look forward to it. I can't stand sweating in 90 degree heat with humidity trying to dig a hole. Besides, neoprene gloves and long johns go a long way for winter hunting. As mentioned above the bonus of not a lot of people out to disturb you is always a bonus. :)

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
winter schminter,

last weekend myself and saginawman pulled 5 coins out of a site in the cold, and Yesterday morning were were out on a site at 8 am and for while the snow was a flying bigtime
we did pull 2 nice indians congrats on the 1905 ian ,of course i was stoked with an 1865, my oldest coin so far previous was the 1867 i nabbed a few weeks back. we also pulled some nice buckles some copper and brass relics all 1850's era. we will pile all the stuff up and post a pic in a day or two

there has got to be a day or two left to get out again, cold aint that bad , put a couple hand warmers in your gloves and go.

I have a good site planned this weekend, as long as its not pouring rain myself and ian will be going, i dont do this very often but i will extend this invitation to anyone local that want to come mike? band? anyone else? we go early like 8 am on sat or sunday email me and let me know if your up for it. we can all meet at great lakes crossing mall wich is close to the site i have planned (and thats all im sayin) :)

DanTheSiteFindinMan

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Dan - I'm down for a hunt. I'll stop by at daylight. It was a great hunt this weekend in the snow - actually bearable with the handwarmers. That site has lots more to offer - we aren't done there. I'll give you a ring tomorrow about this new spot.

Ian

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Well, for the first time in as many years as I can remember I actually kinda wish I lived a little further South.

I got out Sunday too. Two to three inches of snow on the ground, 32 degrees. Wet wet wet. I hunted deer on Saturday and Sunday. Got a 7 point Saturday AM, taking off the pressure. I and a friend from Romulus hunted an older site beside where a cooperage once operated, inside the city limits.

I don't mind the cold when it comes to going out to play. The layer of wet snow adds a new dimension.
Weather report calls for snow every day through Sunday up here. Lake Effect. So, we may have 9 or 10 inches on the ground by the weekend.

The UP is getting it too, but seems to be a few degrees colder yet. Our season may wind down even sooner than we had planned.

Mark

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
ok anyone that want to come out at 8 am tomorrow pm me or email direct at [email protected] i will send you my phone # and the let ya know what were doing, i do have a few pre-1900 sites lined up and i allready field checked em so we dont have to look for em.
there will be 4 or 5 of us 3 for sure so far

dan

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Let me know when you are coming up. I may be able to help out.

I was just elected the mayor of our fine city, for the sixth time.

Mark

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I do! No ordinance in this town about mding! Lots of history here, many fine spots.

I'm working on permission to hunt a grove where there were revival meetings, and then many years of church picnics, or multiple churches! Hope to be able to start there in the spring. The grove is still pristine, and unused since the 50's.

HH
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread