What's new

has anyone ever seen this symbol before

treasure_hunter_2004

Full Member
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
128
Reaction score
108
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0016.webp
 
Almost looks like a "Resh Head" rune.
 
It is known as the number four.
 
Hi; QUESTIONS: Is this carved in a stone or rock ?? Second, Upon closer exam I believe there is a piece of the symbol covered over by dirt located at the top right hand side of the number 4. If not then it stands for a measure of distance such as 4 feet or miles East. If there is another piece to it covered over by dirt etc. then it would have a different meaning. Try looking up Spanish Hall Marks ok. Please repost a picture after cleaning it more. I'll try to help you more then ok. PEACE:RONB
 
Yes, it denotes the time of year for a special proto-Celtic ceremony in which dues and taxes are brought to that particular location. The angled line is the milky way, the dot is the moon and the cross represents the rule, not a physical church per se. Pretty special symbol actually, one of the rarest.

Where did you find it, what else have you found?
 
That's definitely different.
Can you place a coin in the picture so that we can gauge the size. Was that located in the wilderness?
 
For once maybe a legit carving in a rock and not someones imagination
 
Does look like a '4' at first glance. But when I stepped back about 6 feet from the monitor, it looks like a cross on a horizontal line, with a diagonal line to the upper left of the cross. And two separate holes punched to the right of the cross.
 
Either 4H or HP
 
Just rotate the pic then and look at it. I did consider that when I saw it, but I just went with what I saw on the post, cause generally folks take a pic from straight on lookin at it. I don't think he hung from a tree and swung slightly to the left just to confuse people, but may be. Lookin sideways I saw an 'H sickle', maybe an old cattle brand? The two dots are kinda interesting. Cool pic. I can't say what it represents, other than it had specific meaning for whoever carved it.
 
Does look like an old cattle brand definitely initials of some sort. HP or dH
 
Just rotate the pic then and look at it. I did consider that when I saw it, but I just went with what I saw on the post, cause generally folks take a pic from straight on lookin at it. I don't think he hung from a tree and swung slightly to the left just to confuse people, but may be. Lookin sideways I saw an 'H sickle', maybe an old cattle brand? The two dots are kinda interesting. Cool pic. I can't say what it represents, other than it had specific meaning for whoever carved it.

So its on a vertical surface?
 
I don't think this is a spanish mark. Native perhaps but modern (1880's or later). It appears to me that it was cut with metal perhaps a chisel of pike that a miner would use. This could mark a mine site or a miners cache. Traditionally the dots would indicate 2 locations in the direction the lines are pointing. The '4' symbol is a powerful icon used in marking locations. It has both numerical and directional value. I would focus a search in that direction.
 
Tombe stone marker for Les More.

Here lies Less More
4 slugs from a .44
No Less
No More

:laughing7:
 
It would probably help to give a general location of what part of the country you found this in. Not the exact spot, just general area.
 
It would probably help to give a general location of what part of the country you found this in. Not the exact spot, just general area.

Kansas
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom