Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good point... if you are finding a lot of 70s style pull tabs you are probably in a honey hole. Since those things ring up as rings most people dig and remove them. If there is a lot is means the spot probably has not been detected ever.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the suggestions...as I said above, I don't detect JUST for the monetary gain, I truly DO enjoy it! But when you're living from paycheck to paycheck it would be nice to find something of value that would help pay for gas and other expenses associated with the hobby... that's all I'm saying :)

Found a cache of pennies (about 15) in a local park last night...all total about 35 pennies last night from one park (3 of those being Wheaties!)

Happy Hunting!
I can tell you one thing....your machine will pay for itself in no time. Over and over

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being that your from mass and live in one of the oldest states in our union, your already ahead of the game. What you say you don't want to do is exactly what you should do! Research, research, research, then get in the water. Find old swimming areas and hit them hard. Get a good water machine and scoop and you won't believe what's out there in the water. Northeastern beaches tend to be on the cold side, cold water shrinks skin, rings fall off, a few hundred years of this and imagine how much is out there. GL HH, your ny neighbor, mike.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the suggestions...as I said above, I don't detect JUST for the monetary gain, I truly DO enjoy it! But when you're living from paycheck to paycheck it would be nice to find something of value that would help pay for gas and other expenses associated with the hobby... that's all I'm saying :)

Found a cache of pennies (about 15) in a local park last night...all total about 35 pennies last night from one park (3 of those being Wheaties!)

Happy Hunting!

"An impatient metal detectorist goes broke"

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how about a changing room while someone is tanning?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no substitute for LUCK !! I went detecting with a friend in MA and lent him my ATP. Second place we went, an old farm, he finds an 18K wedding band along the dirt driveway. Next time we do an access road to a cemetery, and he bangs a Tiffany sterling ring with a tiny diamond. The beach hunters find the most gold jewelry, but it takes luck to find more sporadic gold. My best was a fine diamond engagement ring on a school field, just luck. And like the others say you gotta dig all those pull tabs, lead sinkers, a lot of foil, and other low conductor junk. If everybody found enough to pay off their detectors in a short time there wouldn't be all those used detectors for sale. I am sure there are many on this forum who have hunted for several years with hundreds of hours in who have never found one piece of good gold jewelry. So, are you feelin' lucky???

Last edited:

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg ...You just receive 26 perfect answers and a lot more will follow......

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started I hit totlots often and found gold and silver more than I do now with better detectors and hunting a lot more hours at a time. Seems sport fields and totlots produce more gold at least where I live.

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
...however after investing a lot of money in the detector, diggers, pinpointers, accessories, gas and travel...I'd at least hope to break even at some point! It's just frustrating to keep finding penny after penny after penny......I'm not complaining, just saying...I wanna find that first gold ring!
Sparky you are getting frustrated , don't go out there thinking of all those riches ,like I said enjoy your self and you will see many things start to happen. I did the same thing too, spent a lot on the best and never was able to understand... why me ? while my friend hit it big , go out there and wear your red shoes and say there's no precious metals like gold and silver then click your heals three times and listen to the wind , if you start to hear the munchkins singing follow the yellow brick road then your in trouble, go home and take a nice hot shower.

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought a 10k braclet and a 14k necklace at a yard sale today for .50 a pc. didnt even get my hands dirty.....thats the BEST way to find gold.:laughing7: i have yet to dig a gold ring but i do try, i have a bucket of pull tabs to prove it, over 2 yrs i have tried, and every time i go a huntn' i feel "todays the day" i was told its 5% skill and 95% luck and i believe that, enjoy the thrill of the chance you might, i do, and except everytime you go fishing you might not get a bite.
best of luck dont give up

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver cross in one of the local parks

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swimming areas are the best...sports fields are good too...gold seems to come in spurts...you will get gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions