Has anyone ever thought of this?

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so....I was thinking...as a relatively new detectorist (I've been dirt fishing for about a year), the most repeated advice I got about where to hunt is to do your research, look at old maps, compare old and new maps, read about the history of where you're going,etc...

Now this makes sense if you are looking for OLD finds and relics, HOWEVER...I am interested primarily in finding gold/silver rings and jewelry recently lost...age doesn't matter so much, as long as the jewelry is real...so I can't see how doing research would help (other than knowing where people congregrate)...so my question is how do I do research on where to find recent lost jewelry? I know that the beach and shallow waters are a great place to start, but I've had NO LUCK in finding anything real :(

Any suggestions on how I can find that first elusive gold ring?

Thank you much!!!! <3

~Diana

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh-oh....We gotta us a Gold Digger...lol

I think your best bet would be ANY Ball Fields. I hunt with a guy that has alot of luck on newer ( 80s'- present) School ballfields and of course ANY Swimming area.

best of luck!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right there with you! My elusive item so far is a gold ring with a diamond "in it"!

You kind of have to see what goes on in your area. Where do people congregate while they are wearing their gold and (hopefully) running around playing and losing it!
So parks, tot-lots, sports fields, beaches- especially in the water, bottom & tops of sledding hills, around pools, etc.

Just put some thought into it and observe people and what they do and where, and you will come up with a lot more places. Hope this helps, I've only had one cup of coffee my brain is not in gear this morning!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Be sure you dig all pull tab and close signals.I am no authority on gold recovery but suspect you will think you are ho hum digging another tab when you score.
The old adage of hunting where either a few people spent time often, or a whole lot of people spent a brief amount of time may help. Art fest ,fair, fourth of July fireworks pic nic and viewing ect. Lovers lane for decades may have had a ring thrown in a quarrel,but best odds have been swimming related. Parks are the traffic over time concept as well.If you are practiced on rings and confident ,maybe get word out or join ringfinders site to see if you can get called on a recovery lead to prove your ability. Lots of distractions when trying to focus on a particular object! Keep diggin it may take hundreds to a few hundred or more tabs if modern areas hunted.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try baseball outfields and soccer field sidelines, I've found some great rings, some real, some not in those locations. Dig all nickel and pulltab signals! DIG! DIG DIG! it's worth it!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these Gold Rings were found in the same place....and the Ratio was about 1 Ring per 50 piece of garbage, which are EXTREMELY AURings.JPG Good Odds for digging gold.

Just like the reserch people put into looking for old things, the same thing applies to looking for PM. just gotta step back and think what makes sense

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for your local swimming holes in rivers, lakes and streams.

For the research portion of this, look for swimming holes that dried up years ago. The rings and coins might still be there!

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
as long as the jewelry is real...

OK so....I was thinking...as a relatively new detectorist (I've been dirt fishing for about a year), the most repeated advice I got about where to hunt is to do your research, look at old maps, compare old and new maps, read about the history of where you're going,etc...

Now this makes sense if you are looking for OLD finds and relics, HOWEVER...I am interested primarily in finding gold/silver rings and jewelry recently lost...age doesn't matter so much, as long as the jewelry is real...so I can't see how doing research would help (other than knowing where people congregrate)...so my question is how do I do research on where to find recent lost jewelry? I know that the beach and shallow waters are a great place to start, but I've had NO LUCK in finding anything real :(

Thank you much!!!! <3

~Diana

as long as the jewelry is real...I can see your not into just enjoying the thrill of the search, you can find gold just about anywhere, my wife uses her eyes and brings it home without a machine. you need to have patience, slow down and get your self a buddy and enjoy the day .

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Hitting the local swimming holes is of course a great idea. Buttt... Talk to the older folks who have lived in your area their whole lives. Where people go to swim now may not be where they went 50 years ago. Church picnic areas can be good as well. 50 years ago large groups of people would gather to have cookouts, play games, other outdoor activities where losing a ring is very possible. Summer camps ? Maybe there were some in your area that are no longer in use. Again, the older folks in town have the answers. You just have to ask the right questions. I know you said recent losses but with TV ads and "reality" shows promoting our hobby and Walmart selling metal detectors you can bet that every single local gathering place that is well known is hit hard on a regular basis. Finding recent losses means getting there first as soon as possible after the item was lost. That can sometimes mean going very early and going nearly every day. What part of Mass ? I might have some suggestions for the Western part of the state.

Last edited:

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you much!!!! <3

~Diana

Yes... You need to think like the people who lost the jewelry.

For example... Go to your local park with a swimming hole. Go to the pavillion closest to the water and sit down at a bench. The pavillion closest to the water is usually going to be the most popular.

Now, as you are sitting there, imagine that you are part of a party that is at the park. Now, imagine you want to go swimming, Find the most direct route to the water. This is going to be the area where the majority of people enter the water. Be using deductive reasoning you can increase your odds.

I am new to this too, probably less than 60 hours under my belt, but, by using my brain I have netted 1 gold ring, 4 silver rings, and a silver puma head charm.

People + Slippery Sunblock + Treading Water = Rings fall off and sink to the bottom.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok here's my take. Most modern jewelry Like school rings are low quality. The older stuff had more quality.
I have found quality items on the beach, like gold chains and gold/silver rings with gems, but they are few and far between.
Now, here's where you find the quality items. In the old days, well to do people from the big cities escaped the heat of summer by moving there families to a country location during the summer. They had parties in the back yards and showed off there wealth at the events. Some was lost. I live near a town such as this and have researched the locations. Here are my findings from one yard. That is a 3 ct ruby ring. I found it in the back yard about 10' from the 200 year old home. Just my view, Frank...
ruby gold ring 700.jpg
A1-   BARBARA'S HOUSE.jpg

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hitting the local swimming holes is of course a great idea. Buttt... Talk to the older folks who have lived in your area their whole lives. Where people go to swim now may not be where they went 50 years ago. Church picnic areas can be good as well. 50 years ago large groups of people would gather to have cookouts, play games, other outdoor activities where losing a ring is very possible. Summer camps ? Maybe there were some in your area that are no longer in use. Again, the older folks in town have the answers. You just have to ask the right questions. I know you said recent losses but with TV ads and "reality" shows promoting our hobby and Walmart selling metal detectors you can bet that every single local gathering place that is well known is hit hard on a regular basis. Finding recent losses means getting there first as soon as possible after the item was lost. That can sometimes mean going very early and going nearly every day. What part of Mass ? I might have some suggestions for the Western part of the state.

That's true, All the gold I found at the same place was at a public pool that was around since the early 20s, Plus it was in a better part of town.

And one thing i Notice about Publc swimming areas, is MOST of my finds were not drops, they had to been taken off and placed on a towel

I only say that because on 4 different occasions, i found more than 1 ring in the whole....hell my first gold ring was in a hole with 2 quarters...and thats the only reason i dug them.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch newspapers and bulletin boards. Internet postings etc. of people looking for lost rings etc.

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as the jewelry is real...I can see your not into just enjoying the thrill of the search, you can find gold just about anywhere, my wife uses her eyes and brings it home without a machine. you need to have patience, slow down and get your self a buddy and enjoy the day .

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hunt VERY much...however after investing a lot of money in the detector, diggers, pinpointers, accessories, gas and travel...I'd at least hope to break even at some point! It's just frustrating to keep finding penny after penny after penny...last night I found (no joke) 35 pennies all in one park...I'm not complaining, just saying...I wanna find that first gold ring!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many good ideas above but in a nutshell.... wherever people gather. TTC

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's my take. Most modern jewelry Like school rings are low quality. The older stuff had more quality.
I have found quality items on the beach, like gold chains and gold/silver rings with gems, but they are few and far between.
Now, here's where you find the quality items. In the old days, well to do people from the big cities escaped the heat of summer by moving there families to a country location during the summer. They had parties in the back yards and showed off there wealth at the events. Some was lost. I live near a town such as this and have researched the locations. Here are my findings from one yard. That is a 3 ct ruby ring. I found it in the back yard about 10' from the 200 year old home. Just my view, Frank...
View attachment 972377 View attachment 972378

Oh wow..now that's very interesting and something I would have never thought of! Thank you! :)

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the suggestions...as I said above, I don't detect JUST for the monetary gain, I truly DO enjoy it! But when you're living from paycheck to paycheck it would be nice to find something of value that would help pay for gas and other expenses associated with the hobby... that's all I'm saying :)

Found a cache of pennies (about 15) in a local park last night...all total about 35 pennies last night from one park (3 of those being Wheaties!)

Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread