Has the world gone "cell phone crazy" ? Your thoughts on this obvious "addiction"...

Fletch - None of us know for sure, what the long range affects are. I'm also in the Telecom industry, I wonder about all the RF, Micro-wave frequencies constantly going through our brains and body. Think about it - Cell phones, Radio, TV, Satellite, CC, short wave, etc......It's everywhere you go, all the time.

At the very least, it should give you concern.

I'm in telecom (wireline) and cellphones have signaled the end of my career.

Had a service call a while back for an elderly female doctor that treated her patients out of her home. She would not allow cellular or any RF devices in her home while she was there. She says she has several patients she is treating for what she calls 'RF-induced illnesses'...and I was there to remover her wifi router that was installed several weeks before.

So in other words a bat-poop crazy doctor who probably has not been to medical school since the 70's. I worked for Centurytel/Centurylink as a field tech for a few years. Def sorry to hear you lost your job...happened to a few of my buddies as well.

I actually quit so I could focus more on IT and cell phone repair....much warmer but 10X the customer interaction. Bleh...

@Hunter GT- I prefer to text over phone conversations. It is less engaging and I am still able to do other task. I could almost do without a phone for actual calls and just have texting.

Absolutely. I do not need to have some personal voice to voice conversation about every little scenario throughout the day. Sorry to say...but if people think I need to "hear their voice" to get a point across...they are full of themselves. Their voice is oh-so not important to me...the content of the message is. If I am busy and doing "whatever" it is I am doing....you get a text. Plain and simple. It's not rude, it's convenient.

What is rude is somebody thinking I NEED to call them instead of text them becasue they refuse to utilize technology 99% of the rest of the world has.

Also rude is pretending that anybody who utilizes a cell phone is some zombie who MUST use it while driving and MUST have zero social skills etc etc... It's silly.

It's the equivalent of me saying if you don't use cell phones and social media you must live a boring life...have no friends...and are probably too ignorant (or old) to use it anyways. Perhaps not a stretch....

According to that link...no real credible evidence of RF signals causing cancer has been found. Clearly states as much is at least 10 different places. Cause for concern if used 20 hours a day...maybe. Enough to stop doing it if in moderation...absolutely not.

Drinking soda and eating the classic American diet is going to kill you off before a cell phone to your ear is.

Well phones are nothing more then tools. A properly used tool is beneficial, used wrong it can be a danger, not only to you, but those around you. At work, phones are to be used for emergency only, corporate policy, yet unenforced by upper management. Yet everyday I'll find and remind at least one of the employees that there is a customer standing in front of them, the phone is ringing, or there are orders on the computer to be picked. Why? because they are so engrossed in their phone they have zoned out the outside world. And the audacity of it, you get a "Huh?" from them, all the while their thumbs are flying over the keyboard of their phone. And yesterday I saw a phone owner at his worst. Child of 10, who I can't understand why he needs a top of the line phone, threw a screaming, crying, tossing things fit, all be cause he wasn't allowed to take his phone along on a Cub Scout overnight camping trip. * * My boss' son, which probably explains why he won't enforce the "emergency use only" phone rule at work.

Well phones are nothing more then tools. A properly used tool is beneficial, used wrong it can be a danger, not only to you, but those around you. At work, phones are to be used for emergency only, corporate policy, yet unenforced by upper management. Yet everyday I'll find and remind at least one of the employees that there is a customer standing in front of them, the phone is ringing, or there are orders on the computer to be picked. Why? because they are so engrossed in their phone they have zoned out the outside world. And the audacity of it, you get a "Huh?" from them, all the while their thumbs are flying over the keyboard of their phone. And yesterday I saw a phone owner at his worst. Child of 10, who I can't understand why he needs a top of the line phone, threw a screaming, crying, tossing things fit, all be cause he wasn't allowed to take his phone along on a Cub Scout overnight camping trip. * * My boss' son, which probably explains why he won't enforce the "emergency use only" phone rule at work.

Exactly...a simple tool. You either know how to use it properly...or you don't.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the people that fall into cell phone and social media addiction are simply not strong willed people who would simply fall into another trap presented to them.

The workers you mention in your post (that we all know and hate) would most likely find another way to become distracted at their jobs and under-perform. The cell phones absolutely help....don't get me wrong. But it is the people who are failing there...not the phone.

First off I apologize for my run together post above. I had it neatly spaced, even went back and corrected it when I saw how it posted. To no avail, for what ever reason it decided to lump all together.

And to TheHunterGT, yep, welcome to the flock. The flock of sheep some of us seem to be becoming.

You want to strike terror? You don't need no bombs, knock out the Facebook, or Twitter, or such for a day. LOL!

Fletch - None of us know for sure, what the long range affects are. I'm also in the Telecom industry, I wonder about all the RF, Micro-wave frequencies constantly going through our brains and body. Think about it - Cell phones, Radio, TV, Satellite, CC, short wave, etc......It's everywhere you go, all the time.

At the very least, it should give you concern.

Yes I have thought about it many times and then I think of the alternative. Do we really want to go back to pre-telecom times? I think i will take my chances. Something is going to kill us anyway might as well enjoy the time we have here on earth!

Yes I have thought about it many times and then I think of the alternative. Do we really want to go back to pre-telecom times? I think i will take my chances. Something is going to kill us anyway might as well enjoy the time we have here on earth!
I could, I don't care for the new technology and I would enjoy a much simpler life. As it is, I already carry a tablet, and have two smart phones strapped to my side, two of the devices required by my employer. My wife and kids spend a lot of time with their face in their Iphones and we just don't enjoy the quality time that we used to.

I bet this guy was glad it wasn't simpler times for technology...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452968153.737189.jpg

I think technology has way more upsides than downsides. Got to take the good with the bad though. But if we end up with a "skynet" world like the terminator movies than I'm dead wrong! [emoji2]

We should look at our microwave ovens and check them for leaks but first let me tell you about the pie I just warmed up in it!
My nephew yelled at me the other day about not carrying a cell phone when I'm out metal detecting. He said "it could save your life! What if you died on that beach!"
I told him if I died on that beach, I wouldn't be able to call anyone anyway!

There are new commercials out showing urbanites taking their kids to the forest and introducing them to nature.
Maybe we need a commercial to remind us to put down the cell phone and go for a nice nature walk!

Forget The Walking Dead

Handheld Internet devices are the zombie apocalypse

Zombified people staggering around with no intent starring at their hands and no smarter than a turnip holding an iPhone either
Out there waiting to bite on a digital brain that they don't own

I think cell phones themselves , was an Awesome Idea.

Before Cell Phones, Most of the time, if you break down,
or crash. you were at the Mercy of your location,
Time of day/night. and friendliness of others.

I do believe Cell phones have saved more lives then can be counted.

the Problem I see comes from, Games, Internet Access, Texting & What ever else
people seem to be doing as they walk and drive around.

and although I hate Laws & would not support any laws New or Old on Texting etc.
I would not complain either. it's like D.U.I. I believe d.u.i. "Laws" are the main reason
people Die alone because of hit & run. (It's better to flee & take your Chances)
so strict Texting laws would cause the Same . People would not stick around & call an Ambulance if they hit someone while texting. laws are not created save lives.
they are created to make money.

I think instead of Cell phone use restrictions,
I would rather see Cell phone Manufacturers restricted to
making Cell Phones able to be used as a Phone only.
(& of course video ability would be ok to keep law enforcement in line,
most don't video & drive that I'm aware)

and if people want to Text, Surf the Net, Etc, To carry around a boom box size computer :laughing7:

No need to pick my opinion apart, I know the General population believes in Law & order being necessary. Heil Hitler & all :(
But I personally Believe crybaby laws cause more problems then good.
and are only there to make money for certain factions.
like Government & Lawyers.

the easiest cure would be to make all Iphones etc. go crazy if inside a Running Vehicle. by adding a Chip that will disable the phone all together if Removed.
so you must shut the vehicle off or take 10 steps away from it to use it..

But that would Save lives without causing people to spend more.
and Apple will not be worth a Trillion Dollars any more.
So don't expect that to happen.

Last edited:
I think cell phones themselves , was an Awesome Idea.

Before Cell Phones, Most of the time, if you break down,
or crash. you were at the Mercy of your location,
Time of day/night. and friendliness of others.

I do believe Cell phones have saved more lives then can be counted.

the Problem I see comes from, Games, Internet Access, Texting & What ever else
people seem to be doing as they walk and drive around.

and although I hate Laws & would not support any laws New or Old on Texting etc.
I would not complain either. it's like D.U.I. I believe d.u.i. "Laws" are the main reason
people Die alone because of hit & run. (It's better to flee & take your Chances)
so strict Texting laws would cause the Same . People would not stick around & call an Ambulance.

I think instead of Cell phone use restrictions,
I would rather see Cell phone Manufacturers restricted to
making Cell Phones able to be used as a Phone only.
(& of course video ability would be ok to keep law enforcement in line,
most don't video & drive that I'm aware)

and if people want to Text, Surf the Net, Etc, To carry around a boom box size computer :laughing7:

No need to pick my opinion apart, I know the General population believes in Law & order being necessary.
But I personally Believe crybaby laws cause more problems then good.
and are only there to make money for certain factions.

I actually agree with most of what you said! No new laws!!! And I like to find differences to argue about!:laughing7:

Hold the person responsible for their action or choice if they cause someone else harm.:occasion14:

I just HAD TO respond because you said no need to pick your opinion apart. :laughing7: Because I actually agree with everything you posted! Except regulating cell companies.

Last edited:
Folks,

True story last summer in front of a pub I frequent a woman late 30's was walking and texting without paying attention.....she ended up walking out in a busy street on a red light.

Got hit by a bus and lost both legs.....how important was that message that it couldn't wait for a few minutes.

Regards + HH

Bill

Folks,

True story last summer in front of a pub I frequent a woman late 30's was walking and texting without paying attention.....she ended up walking out in a busy street on a red light.

Got hit by a bus and lost both legs.....how important was that message that it couldn't wait for a few minutes.

Regards + HH

Bill

I'm going to admit......UMMMMMM?........I have walked into things before while looking at my phone for whatever reason. So....I can see how the distraction would have caused her to do that. Luckily mine were just stupid little things while checking missed calls or messages, usually at work, with work related stuff.:laughing7:

Of course? I've done the same thing walking out of a Pub, but that's a different story, I was trying to pay attention and still walked into things!:laughing7:

Last edited:
I actually agree with most of what you said! No new laws!!! And I like to find differences to argue about!:laughing7:

Hold the person responsible for their action or choice if they cause someone else harm.:occasion14:

I just HAD TO respond because you said no need to pick your opinion apart. :laughing7: Because I actually agree with everything you posted! Except regulating cell companies.

sorry I was re editing as you were Posting :laughing7: a Habit of mine is re editing as I read what I said :tongue3:

Anyway I only mention regulating cell companies, because it's always the Little Guy that gets Screwed.

Not that I would support law suits against cell companies,. They don't sit beside the Law breaker
telling them what to do.
But their products are the Problem the way I see it.

just like guns, it isn't the phones fault if you are stupid

and I seem to recall Jeffofpa having a similar post when horseless carriages came out

it won't last- just a fad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back