headhunter pirate

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one yet but with all that i have read and with all the you-tube video's i've seen it seems like a great detector. It's simple and a complete unit....headphones and all and just two knobs to set. the price isn't to bad either but shop around and compare $ just to get the best price. You might even find deals with extras.when i get mine i will post my findings on it. :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
GREENSKULL said:
Is this detector a good one to get or is it junk? It says it can be used on salt water fresh water and even land!!

does well, you can't dive with it, not really made to go underwater more of a wading type machine.

and like all water machines you need to rinse it off with fresh water, dry and and clean it

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's a pulse machine, with no discrimination, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, just be aware that you will be at the mercy of nails, paperclips, bobby-pins, etc..... Not a problem if you're hunting touristy clean beaches I suppose. But you'd be hating life if you get onto a nail ridden beach (like under piers after storm erosion, etc....).

A friend of mine got a "Headhunter" (but I don't recall the suffix "pirate"). He was dazzled by the advertisements, since they trumpted how excellent it was on the beach. Day after day he hunted alongside others of us using Excalibers, 6000 Di pros, etc... on a storm ravaged beach. He got so disugusted at digging 20 nails (or various other iron targets) to each coin or keeper, that he ran out and got an Excaliber.

This may not be a problem on Bay Watch type beaches, that lack industrial/commercial usage. But where I'm at, there's a lot industrial commercial history, so our beaches can be punishingly thick with iron. Sure a pulse will find a tinsel thin gold chain that a discriminator might miss, but it will be a cost of no form of iron disc, EXCEPT perhaps your ears: some pulse users claim they can tell iron by sound and shape. But you will find those persons usually abandoning a nail-riddled beach to go to "greener grounds", because nagging doubts send them digging a lot of those iffy signals "just to be sure". Also certain types of iron may not give the audio clues to tell iron vs non-iron: like bent nails don't react the same as straight nails, etc.... So the audio method of passing iron is iffy at times.

As far as using it on land, sure, ANY beach or underwater machine can be used on land if a person wanted to. But would you really want to use a pulse machine, with all the factors as stated above? If you think iron is a problem on some beaches, consider how it would be in the average park or yard or whatever? An exception might be some sites where people stripmine everything, even including iron. I've heard of some CW sites like that, where they hunt in all-metal anyhow. But sheesk, I can imagine hearing from every birdshot, staple, etc.... would be a headache in most land sites, where people at least pass iron.

OP
OP
G

GREENSKULL

hey thanks for the info, however my wife has enformed me that we can get a more expensive model, if we want. She really seems to like the whites DFX 300, and i have no problem with that. i still plan to use it on the beach when we go.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
GREENSKULL said:
hey thanks for the info, however my wife has enformed me that we can get a more expensive model, if we want. She really seems to like the whites DFX 300, and i have no problem with that. i still plan to use it on the beach when we go.

if your gonna use it a lot at the beach I would recommend the Beach Hunter if you like whites so you can get into the water. Most jewerly found at beach is in surf

I have a DFX that I use alot on the dry and wet sand areas, it performs well here in Florida

And you need to make sure she knows you think she is a blessing and sweet wife to let you spend "more" money. :wink:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
DFX is far too expensive to take to the beach, IMO.

A splash and it's toast.

These guys are gettin' to me!
I'll need to devise a plan to get an Excaliber II as my next machine.

I think the 'pirate' is good for a splash, or maybe 6ft water resistant.
Headhunter Diver is good for 35 feet, IIRC.

rmptr

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
rmptr said:
DFX is far too expensive to take to the beach, IMO.

A splash and it's toast.

These guys are gettin' to me!
I'll need to devise a plan to get an Excaliber II as my next machine.

rmptr

Yeah when my dealer hunts with me on the beach, I drive her and her husband nuts taking it in about knee level if it is the machine I have with me. Have to watch for those little higher rogh waves so they don't sneak up on you. Have had a few close calls

But if I plan a beach hunt now I have a few other water machines myself that I take into the water.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
First off..are you going to do more beach hunting , land hunting or a 50/50 of both? This can help to determine what detector to get. I would not stop at the Pirate. Although a very good detecor for a water resistant one, if you can go higher I thing this is getting you more of a detector to be able to find more and better targets. Please call me and I'm sure I can help you sort it all out.
Tony
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Tony will help you for sure. I have dealt with him with detectors and equipment. He is the real deal, uses the equipment and can fit you well in your budget without BS.

John

OP
OP
G

GREENSKULL

TonyinCT said:
First off..are you going to do more beach hunting , land hunting or a 50/50 of both? This can help to determine what detector to get. I would not stop at the Pirate. Although a very good detecor for a water resistant one, if you can go higher I thing this is getting you more of a detector to be able to find more and better targets. Please call me and I'm sure I can help you sort it all out.
Tony
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM
Thanks for the offer, but its too late, i have already purchased a whites DFX 300. sorry, i hope it will turn out to be a good one.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
GREENSKULL said:
TonyinCT said:
Tony
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM
Thanks for the offer, but its too late, i have already purchased a whites DFX 300. sorry, i hope it will turn out to be a good one.

good luck with it look forward to your posts of finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread