old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are several artifacts that I found yesterday. The one at the top, left shows signs of an inpact break. Either it hit a bone or it missed it's target and hit a rock. The last two photo's is possibly up for grabs. A friend of mine suggests that it is a Buffalo effigy, possibly used by the tribe medicine man. Not sure but could be. Thanks for viewing! folder4 007.JPG folder4 008.JPG folder4 010.JPG folder4 011.JPG

Upvote 0
I could see somebody wearing it. What else could they do with it.

larson1951 said:
one idea i have heard is just that it could have been a form of doodling or maybe just showing off to the young ones what they can do if they practice
maybe fun toys or trinkets
i say maybe because i do not know, and who does for sure?
maybe somebody does, but i sure don't mean this as gospel.......does any of what i mentioned as far as a purpose make sense to anyone???
steve

Yes. It makes perfect sense. I was at work when I first read this and skimmed it fast. A skilled knapper could show a novice, the endless talent he could endure if he practices enough. For instance, crude point with large sloppy flakes is the starting line. This piece digger has would be the finish line. I bet it took years to get to that finish line too. Skill level 10. On the other note, I have often wandered what native children had to play with, and have thought some of the bird or turtle effigy pieces could be toys. Thanks Larson. You shed a little light on the eccentric for me.

Eccentrics! That is the second one showing up. I am a tussinger nut. He was the father of eccentrics and either hound a thousand of them I used a thousand paleos he found somewhere and knapped them like almost nobody alive could flake.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Since that agate eccentric is a fresh find I am voting banner on it
let's get it on the banner
now since that beautiful orange petrified wood point has moved on we have no flaked artifacts to enjoy when we log in
Old Digger Dennis deserves it.......he is great!

Thanks Steve! I guess, not too common.

larson1951 said:
that agate eccentric should be up on the banner

I totally agree! However, I still can't vote on this with my phone. I think this app needs to make voting easier. My only complaint with the app. If any one can tell me how to vote by iPhone app, let me know. If not, I'll vote tonight on my PC!

PLEASE....nobody take this the wrong way... I'm truely curious and mean zero disrespect... I feel the need to ask what about that agate piece makes you guys think it should represent the best of the best from this forum?

GatorBoy said:
PLEASE....nobody take this the wrong way... I'm truely curious and mean zero disrespect... I feel the need to ask what about that agate piece makes you guys think it should represent the best of the best from this forum?

It's beauty and they are mysterious. No one really knows what they were for. Most of all, they are rare. I don't have one, do you? Rarity is key! That is why I think it belongs there. If Clovis points make it, this should. I have 2 Clovis points that I personally found. I have never found one of these. I personally think that your GW pipe should be banner . It too is a true conversation piece.

I am humbled. Thank You NC fieldhunter and Steve.

I wish I could find a clovis. I know they are found around here, beacuse a friend found one.

No need to be humbled . Got to give credit where it's due. I think that the Clovis point is found everywhere. Looks like you are on track!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back