Heaven or Hell?

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a dry creek bed that runs near a known site that is loaded with chert. I picked up a bunch of pieces but I can't tell if they are actual artifacts or just roughed up rocks in a creek. Many of them game chipped edges that appear to be worked but I can't tell if that is the case or that is a result of the creek. I can't tell if I have found artifact heaven or hell because there are tons of pieces that appear to be artifacts or its hell because it is just a trick. What do you think?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374984265.432494.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374984286.472582.jpg

Upvote 0

handaxe

May 8, 2013
Bob keep at it in the same spot as I have and you may end up with some of these :)

Attachments

• image-63932423.jpg
    image-63932423.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 142

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i think mostly natural but there looks to be one or two backed blade forms and i think i might see some side scrapers
it is good that you posted all of it for opinions
it might be worth going back to that spot again...........if you do then keep us 'posted'

larson1951

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I tend to agree with Grim. Better pictures might help, but if anything some look like quick clean up work on a chunk of chert to knock off the rind and corners.

Keep up the search.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell folks that are new to indian artifact hunting, to find out what you can on flint knapping. This will show what pressure flaking looks like, mother nature can cause a chip or two, but she wont replicate what man will do to stone. A great book is The Art of Flint Knapping by D.C. Waldorf. Keep looking you are on the right trail. Also check out( nativewayonline.com )you can get all kinds of info from my friend who has been doing this for 45 yrs.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
need better pics, to tell, but one up and over from lighter could be a midsection, but i cand see flacking in this pic. but it is flint, which is good

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it might be reduction pieces on most of it. Still might be a good place to look. When you actually find a worked piece there will be no doubt in your mind as to what you have found. If not the same spot maybe look close to it. Look for small pieces the size of a dime or smaller and also very thin. When you find that spot then you will be on the right track. Keep looking it looks as if you are close. HH, rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% hell and 1% heaven. Possible secondary work on a reduction flake and it looks like one blow only. Could be natural. Where ever you are hunting it looks like the material is right.
Keep posting them.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock I know what your saying about knowing for sure when you see an actual artifact but sometimes your mind tricks you into seeing what you want. Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. I know there is stuff there but it will be hell to find since its all the same material...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock I know what your saying about knowing for sure when you see an actual artifact but sometimes your mind tricks you into seeing what you want. Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. I know there is stuff there but it will be hell to find since its all the same material...

If so then probably. Move a bit on the outer areas and see whats in those spots. If you are in a quarry site they might of tested allot of rocks and then took the better ones to make something a ways out of the area.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob
The material is right and what you are picking up is what you should be looking for. Once you see a good worked piece or some reductions flakes it will all fall into place. Hang in there you are close. I think one of yours is worked.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some kinds of things usually at quarry sites... usually just roughed out pieces.. at least in my experience.
Also..if there is a waterway nearby I would definitely check the banks and bars when the water is low.
Those guys had to hunt while there and you could find some real nice points.

ForumRunner_20130729_000138.png

ForumRunner_20130729_000352.png

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell that those pieces look much crisper than mine. My question is if those same pieces spent time in a creek how worn down would they be and would you be able to distinguish them as easily? I can tell when something has for sure been worked but then I pick up another piece and wonder if it was once worked but is very worn down. Or is that just not the case?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was ever a completed specific tool you will be able to tell.. look for things that are bi-facial that is a sure sign.
Here is a water worn point..you can still tell it was worked.
By the looks of the material you're finding There should be plenty of Nice artifacts as to not spend too much time contemplating things that don't look like much to begin with.
If there is a lot of material to look at...hunt for things that are dead giveaways first.
Then you will get used to handling those and become more acquainted with the details and be able to pick out more less obvious pieces later.
After a while the overall shape wont even be what you look for since it's rare that something is completely exposed anyway..you will just learn to see the "work" and be able to spot that immediately.

ForumRunner_20130729_135831.png

ForumRunner_20130729_140056.png
This particular point is interesting because the stem has much crisper edges on the flake scars ..enough so that I think it spent a long time still in the haft after it was lost.

Attachments

• IMG_20130417_163547-1.jpg
    IMG_20130417_163547-1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand by my first assumption.

I tend to agree... it seems he has the right material and says there is alot so I figure it's there close by somewhere and a little nudge in the right direction should help.
I bet we see something better soon.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree... it seems he has the right material and says there is alot so I figure it's there close by somewhere and a little nudge in the right direction should help.
I bet we see something better soon.

I agree. He does have some flint or chert pieces in that bunch but I don't think any of them are artifacts.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will certainly keep you all posted on any finds at this spot and stop wasting my time picking up crap and only go after obvious stuff! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread