Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope everyone is having a great Summer and finding many treasures. I have what might be considered a dumb question so I’m looking for a smart answer. Today I went to a random spot and noticed pieces of broken bottles, old square nails,and surprisingly an old flat button next to a tree just not even an inch down. I know would not be able to get permission to metal detect this area. Has anyone ever just taken your pinpointed and tried to find a target and had any luck?

Upvote 11
Yepper Ive used mine in bottle dumps lots of targets most times you can just dig cause too mant signals if the finds are spread out a pin pointer can alert you to metal but as you know doesnt go very deep. My biggest piece of advice is be careful if theres broken glass it will be buried in the ground as well

CoilyGirl I haven’t seen you post in a while. Good to see you back!

Thanks A2coins! I’ve got to be really discreet in this area and think I can pull it off with just my pin pointer. I think I can just dig with a discarded stick. Needless to say the flat button was quite a surprise! Thanks GaRebel, good to be back. We have not been detecting at all this Summer. I’ve had cataract surgeries and it’s been so hot.

Welcome back CoilyGirl! :hello: Good luck and be careful!

Thanks creskol, I will !

You can always try that pinpointer only method and grab some shallow finds. It just wont be as productive as with a detector which obviously goes deeper. Good luck.

Someone should make a discrete metal detector that looks like those ankle bracelets the bad girls have to wear... Nice to see a familiar face. Hope you're doing well.

Guys hi! Not a real productive afternoon but I did manage to dig several ollld nails, three nipple protectors, a little iron buckle, but I know there is much more. I’m seriously tempted to go back with my detector. I have searched the history of the area but there is no mention of a house being there but there is broken period pottery and glass everywhere. I wonder if someone dug up a privy and filled all around the trees with that material. Sure is a stumper.

I may be on a pretty decent site after all. Two flat buttons were pretty much just on the surface of the dirt underneath the trees among all the broken pottery and glass. Neither one has any distinguishable marks on the front of the buttons but one has an odd looking bird and several stars on the back so I’ll just post the backs.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565307732.060938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565307771.317099.jpg

Wow, cool surface finds on the flat buttons. GL out there.

Yes, and if adjustable sensitivity, then lower it and sniff-out your treasure...!
Dig everything!
Big project? Then use 1/4 inch screen, too....!

Thanks friends. Unfortunately this is a place I cannot dig as it’s on city property but I had fun with my surface finds. Finally told my husband what I had been up to and he agreed,I can’t get caught there. Sigh.

Guys hi! Not a real productive afternoon but I did manage to dig several ollld nails, three nipple protectors, a little iron buckle, but I know there is much more. I’m seriously tempted to go back with my detector. I have searched the history of the area but there is no mention of a house being there but there is broken period pottery and glass everywhere. I wonder if someone dug up a privy and filled all around the trees with that material. Sure is a stumper.

You know, if there are no "No trespassing signs" or fences to keep you out I'd try it. The most they can say is get off my lawn.... Good luck!

Right, and if this isn't a high-profile spot, in full view of the city, continued surface collecting (shouldn't be) a problem. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Would love to see pics if you find anything good. And keep an eye out for bottles that are not broken and especially ones that don't have screw tops like today's bottle have

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back