Hello from Waukee, Iowa from someone who has not bought detector yet. Need advice!

bobo8734

Oct 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beyond a Newb. I have not even purchased my detector yet, which is partially why I signed up for this site. I am looking for information on the best places in my area for purchase and support (I prefer to support local businesses as opposed to internet sites). I am also looking for advice on which one to buy. I have a limited budget, but I have done this before (about 35 years ago... things have change a lot since then).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Bobo

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Where are you located?

And of course

What's your budget?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Iowa for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

If you decided to buy outside your local area - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net, Bobo!

I am much like you in-that my first detector was a non-discriminating (it couldn't be set to tune out steel, pull-tabs...) 1969 White that cost $99.
It used 12 AA batteries! But it worked for me. I stopped detecting in 1982 but restarted 4 years ago.
Now I use an Ace 250 (look it up). A good low-mid priced machine.

A hand held pin pointer is very useful . Some can cost $150 on up.

If money is a problem, get a 'Zircon M40 Stud Finder' as a hand held pin pointer. It's easy to use- just point & pull the trigger.
I think I payed $29 for it.
It is designed to help woodworkers find the hidden nails that hold drywall panels the studs (frames) of walls.
Can be found at any hardware store. Zircon makes a few different models of stud finders, so be sure to go for the 'M40'.
Ive been using it for 4 years and It works well for me until I can get the "Pro Pointer".

Have fun!

tokameel

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Bobo from Minnesota - I would suggest you go see Ralph in Delhi Iowa. What a great guy and willing to explain things and even take you out detecting. He's been detecting for close to 50 years.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi bobo. I am also a newbie, but decided to get a better MD then I already had which was a Titan 3000xd. I decided to get the AT PRO that I bought from Kellyco. First I've made other purchases from them, and the service is outstanding.
I know budget is alway's a concern, but the comparison between the Titan (which was around $350 at the time) is a toy compared to the AT PRO. I'm sure there are other MD's out there that can compare to the AT, but now I can't wait till the sun comes up to get out there and dig. Awesome detector. (Get the 5 X 8 coil).
Just my 2 cents. OOps, getting late, time to dig.:thumbsup:
HH

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look for a used VLF with discrimination capability, brand - who cares, as long as it fits your budget. When you get some dirt time under your belt you will be more informed about what machine you would really like to have. Then make your current machine pay for what you really want. As far as needing a hand held pin-pointer, just more fluff, and not really needed, I don't use one and never have.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come ... :hello:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beyond a Newb. I have not even purchased my detector yet, which is partially why I signed up for this site.
(I prefer to support local businesses as opposed to internet sites). I am also looking for advice on which one to buy. I have a limited budget, but I have done this before (about 35 years ago... things have change a lot since then)

Thanks in advance!
Bobo

I wanted to buy local also but I saved about $300 thanks to some nice folks on this forum and Kellyco. After I checked the prices on the Internet, I called a local dealer. I was shocked by the price difference. Yes, I know they have overhead etc but the difference was $$$. All I am saying is check the price before you buy.
You might be as surprised as I was.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread