What's new

Help! Another odd find

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
1,627
Golden Thread
0
I always find crazy stuff. A few weeks back, a civil war button, and today's find, you tell me. Is it a door knob? It looks to be made of sand stone, with a coating on it. It was found in a field that trade pipes have been found in. I also found artifacts today made of stone that I have never seen here.

image-2716011148.webp



image-2185181007.webp



image-2829409435.webp



image-2593594382.webp

The artifacts.

image-751927352.webp



image-422365808.webp



image-1102619664.webp

This stone is one I've never seen.

image-2189401743.webp
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a socket for a bow drill to start fires. The artifact might be made of gneiss, or breccia. Hard to tell.
 
The stone tan color is chert or flint the lat pic is a kind of chert that is harder and doesn't flake the same as the kind we think of I read of the other flint that a tribe used in Europe but it has lots of square shaped breaks idk for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Maybe a socket for a bow drill to start fires. The artifact might be made of gneiss, or breccia. Hard to tell.

It appears to have a coating rather than a polish. I am not sure if its visible in my pics, but if you look in the hole, you can see the line where the "polish" ends. I think a socket would be polished really nice from friction created by the bow. Thanks for helping. I hope we figure this out
 
Hey bro.. I think that's a broken candle holder probably from the early 1900's. Mabey older but European.
Its glazed ceramic.
 
It's very polished whatever it is shiny !!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Idk what part of country u are in either looks like around tenn ky area maybe a little further west

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Idk what part of country u are in either looks like around tenn ky area maybe a little further west

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Stupid question NC hunter lol ima dumb$&@ lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Hey bro.. I think that's a broken candle holder probably from the early 1900's. Mabey older but European.
Its glazed ceramic.

I am not sure about the candle holder. Every thing else you said, I agree. I am thinking door knob over candle holder because its a little wobbly. It would be easy to knock over, causing a fire. I surely thought I had found something before I cleaned it. I think I'll stop washing my finds! Lol!!
 
Cigar snuffer? Door knob.. either way its glazed redware.
 
N.C.,
I smell what your steppin in, you have some really nice finds there.
I think the one in question is glazed and I would agree that it is a cabinet or door knob from the 1800's.
 
N.C.,
I smell what your steppin in, you have some really nice finds there.
I think the one in question is glazed and I would agree that it is a cabinet or door knob from the 1800's.

Lol! Thanks for helping. I think you made a good call.
 
That would of been a nice find if the knob was whole. Now alls you have to do is find the door it fits too.
 
It's an old door knob. I have found quite a few of them on sites that have old house sites on them.
 
It's an old door knob. I have found quite a few of them on sites that have old house sites on them.

Did you ever get excited by one of these door knobs? I did! Thought I had a nice polished artifact. The venire on it feels and looks just like stone. Boy, did washing bring on a heart ache. Lol! Thanks Reap!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom