OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be cautious, as there are many fakes out there. Make sure you do your research and investigating in the coin world, so you know how to identify properly. If they are fake, $10.00 for one coin is not the end of the world, but $10.00 each for 10 coins starts to add up to a stomach ache if they are fake. Good luck, because if they are real silver, it is a good deal.

Thanks! I'll be careful

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody in their right mind stands on the corner & gives money away - come one come all.

At almost all times - those "too good to be true deals" are just that.

Me, I learned that the very hard way too - years ago. In fact, I'm still sitting on $50 silver....

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The classic "Old guy who doesn't know what he has" con. Don't fall for it. He knows exactly what silver is worth. If he's an old guy, he grew up when silver coins stopped being minted and was present for the hoarding of them. If he's an old guy, he was present when silver prices skyrocketed during the late 70's when it hit 48.70 per ounce ($174.80 in todays prices) If he has these coins, he knows what they are and what they are worth. You are very likely buying plated clad commemorative coin of the month set.

Edit: I did find some similar commemorative Canadian Olympic coins on ebay claiming to be silver, so real ones evidently exist, you'll just have to verify they aren't a plated clad version or worse, imported fakes posing as solid silver.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning the hard way with coins is no fun... That old guy knows alot more then you think

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True...but he could be an old guy that doesn't know how to research or is moving and getting rid of stuff.

Mvgirl. Just keep in mind that BY FAR....the majority of similar scenarios end with results being that the coins are fake or advertised as something they are not. If you have knowledge (you don't) or can bring someone with knowledge to examine the coins....buy them. If not....don't. This is the classic dilemma someone new to coins will deal with and many learn a costly lesson because of the "too good to be true" deal they just couldn't pass up on. My advice is to buy a couple just for a cheap lesson. If they happen to be real...great. If not, you've learned a cheap lesson.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The classic "Old guy who doesn't know what he has" con. Don't fall for it. He knows exactly what silver is worth. If he's an old guy, he grew up when silver coins stopped being minted and was present for the hoarding of them. If he's an old guy, he was present when silver prices skyrocketed during the late 70's when it hit 48.70 per ounce ($174.80 in todays prices) If he has these coins, he knows what they are and what they are worth. You are very likely buying plated clad commemorative coin of the month set.

Edit: I did find some similar commemorative Canadian Olympic coins on ebay claiming to be silver, so real ones evidently exist, you'll just have to verify they aren't a plated clad version which they probably sold too or worse, imported fakes.
Lol I’m that old guy! Unfortunately, silver will never really take off nowadays due to heavy manipulation of price, physical vs paper. Even as far back as the 1970’s, those weren’t natural market forces involved as the Hunts ‘rigged’ the price to the high $40’s. How often will that happen?

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver coins can deliver value over the long term.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread