What's new

Help get my dredge running!

kitt

Full Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Messages
228
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this Keene dredge for $25, cleaned it up a bit but it wont fire, I am getting spark. I dont know how long its been sitting so I shot some WD-40 in the piston and rotated the shaft so it would have some lubrication.
I then I sprayed ether in it to see if it would kick over but NOTHING! But I have spark!?
Any one know why this thing wont fire up?
 

Attachments

  • keen.webp
    keen.webp
    105.1 KB · Views: 106
Spray carburetor cleaner in the carb. And let it sit for awhile, also check the exhaust to make sure a mouse did not make it home. Good Luck!
 
Great find!! I know little about dredge's, but I do know motors. In recent years gas is horrible! Anything that sits for a little while, and I mean a few months depending, the carb/s jell up. I've had this problem in everything! If they left any gas in it even if just enough that stayed in carb, and it sat for a period of time, you may have to clean carb and fuel lines. Just a thought. It has been a common problem with me and anything with a motor lately! Get the old gas out if any, fresh gas sometimes "melts" the junk enough to get it running. That's just the easiest and sometimes works(rarely). :dontknow:

OOPs just reread and saw you said no fire with ether. That might be a whole different problem! Does it have compression?

I've had spark plugs do funny things too! They spark, but not hot enough to fire.:dontknow:
 
Last edited:
Not an expert here but I have a question.... Did you spray the ether into the carb or air filter? Probably did right? If you got fire then obviously the gas and/or ether are not entering the chamber to fire. I agree 1st clean the carb real good. 2nd check exhaust and 3rd run a compression check (easy to do). Maybe remove plug, spray some ether through spark plug hole, quickly re-tighten and try...? :dontknow:
 
I've had spark plugs do funny things too! They spark, but not hot enough to fire.:dontknow:

Doesn't take much IF the ether hits the chamber. But I agree it's a possibility.
 
I'd check for fire again after checking /adjusting gap to proper specs. or better yet starting with new plugs.
If no change it may be intermittent or as mentioned , weak spark. Chase it from whatever creates it to what magnifies it then to plug checking all wires ,coils ,magneto's or what ever system it uses for shorts , cracks or worn parts. A wire can be broke inside it's insulation causing a bad ground or current..
Check oil for gas ..in case piston rings are worn out or scored and compression is low.
Carb cleaner is easier (less hot) than ether if you are going to keep trying to prime the cylinder(s). Fresh gas can be used in a snuffer type bottle too to prime with a squirt.
High carbon levels or fuel deposits can plug a spark plugs gap if floating loose pieces get in them. Rare yes , but if the crud falls out back into cylinder when plug is checked it gets interesting. Had one do it a few times till it came out wedged in gap.....

One thing I encounter is part of the magneto system being rusted over . I'll add a pic of a flywheel showing the square to be polished.
I polish them clean with emery cloth , as well as their opposing contact point/armature on coil or pick up.
That gap between them has a specification too.

022-3003.webp

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question375.htm
 
Last edited:
You only need four things for a small engine to work. Compression, a spark, air flow, and gas.
If it sat for a long time it probably needs the bowl removed from the carb, and the needle and seat need to be cleaned or replaced.
 
Not an expert here but I have a question.... Did you spray the ether into the carb or air filter? Probably did right? If you got fire then obviously the gas and/or ether are not entering the chamber to fire. I agree 1st clean the carb real good. 2nd check exhaust and 3rd run a compression check (easy to do). Maybe remove plug, spray some ether through spark plug hole, quickly re-tighten and try...? :dontknow:

Off topic.......Makes my remember.....as a kid...had a go kart with a 16hp engine, with weak plug threads(half missing,stripped), sprayed a BUNCH of ether in the hole, tightened plug, pulled the rope(knot rope with wood handle,not the recoil kind:laughing7:) and Booom, plug went I don't know how far in the air! :laughing7: oops! I guess those threads are important?:laughing7:
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom