Help Identify this stone tool found on the east end of Long Island, NY

El_Inca

Apr 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is obviously some kind of worked and seemingly well used tool. But for what?

PXL_20210406_102706680.jpg
Shallower ground side accommodates three fingers nicely. See third photo.

PXL_20210406_102722157.jpg

PXL_20210406_102812521.jpg
Can be held comfortably with great force like this.

PXL_20210406_102747747.jpg
Pinky finger seems to fit into a shallow depression on the back at around the 3.5" mark on ruler.

PXL_20210406_102903276.jpg
This indentation is quite smooth

PXL_20210406_102722157.jpg

OP
OP
E

El_Inca

Apr 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There two indentations are quite smooth - and I'd describe the deeper, curved part is polished - whereas the rest of the piece is coarse natural stone like any other stone in this area. This was in an upland location with no rivers anywhere near it. I'm trying to understand how this could have developed under "natural" processes.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There two indentations are quite smooth - and I'd describe the deeper, curved part is polished - whereas the rest of the piece is coarse natural stone like any other stone in this area. This was in an upland location with no rivers anywhere near it. I'm trying to understand how this could have developed under "natural" processes.

Every rock we find, with I guess some exceptions, was once a part of rock formations hundreds to thousands of feet thick. This would be the case with any of the three main rock types: igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary. Sedimentary formations may take millions of years to accumulate. Extrusive igneous rocks, like a lava flow, may accumulate in a very short time. But, with the question of how rocks that were once part of thick formations end up as the pebbles and cobbles we find lying on the ground, the answer is really always due to weathering plus time. When you come down to it. But actually describing that process of how a cobble ends up as a cobble through weathering processes would be virtually impossible to summarize every single step of the way in this venue, IMO. There are so many factors that could be involved, and acting over millions of years.

Familiarity with artifacts, until that familiarity becomes second nature, so that an experienced artifact hunter recognizes instantly when a rock is a rock, and an artifact is an artifact, really cannot be “taught” easily at all. This ability to distinguish rock from artifact is a function of experience in handling both rocks and artifacts. It is so tough to do in a “non-in person” format, where we cannot hand the rock back and forth, show genuine artifacts, and point out the pecking, the grinding, the flaking in the case of knapped artifacts, etc., all this is well nigh impossible to accomplish in a virtual context.

Unless there is some evidence of man made battering on your rock, which might suggest usage as a hammerstone, there is nothing visible in your rock that suggests it is anything more than a small natural cobble.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, nothing visible in pictures of rock shows it was worked on by man, don't get caught up in how a rock "fits in your hand", that is the marvel of the human hand, not a sign it was worked on by man.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
go out and pick up a few interesting fist sized rocks, turn them around in our hand and see how many you can "fit in your hand" ... you will find many with "finger indentations". The bottom line here is your own obvious question... "what was it used for". In the VAST majority of cases that answer is obvious. NA tools all had purpose that by and large we would recognize today. One other clue is the lack of use wear on your stone... no chips, pecks, dents from pounding.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
In the VAST majority of cases that answer is obvious. NA tools all had purpose that by and large we would recognize today. One other clue is the lack of use wear on your stone... no chips, pecks, dents from pounding.

FWIW, I was reading a site report last night and found an artifact I didn't recognise in a group picture. Red slate, irregularly shaped, and with smooth, rounded edges. The caption identified it as (quote) a "slate polisher."

New one on this end.

Shovelbum

Greenie
Nov 9, 2021
This is obviously some kind of worked and seemingly well used tool. But for what?

View attachment 1916041

View attachment 1916042

View attachment 1916043

View attachment 1916045
Pinky finger seems to fit into a shallow depression on the back at around the 3.5" mark on ruler.

View attachment 1916044

View attachment 1916042
Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many just like that. It could have been used in many ways as an precusion Its shape is not natural but pecked and then sanded. I have noticed that when they are cold your fingerprints will appear for a few seconds then fade away. It’s some kind of interesting thermal property. It might be why they chose to use this kind of stone or maybe even helped in shaping them.

View attachment 1916041

View attachment 1916042

View attachment 1916043

View attachment 1916045

View attachment 1916044

View attachment 1916042
Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many of them. It could have been used as a percussion tool or an

View attachment 1916041

View attachment 1916042

View attachment 1916043

View attachment 1916045

View attachment 1916044

View attachment 1916042
Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many of them. It could have been used as a percussion tool or as an abrader. Many of the ones I have found have been made out of Basalt or quartz.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many just like that. It could have been used in many ways as an precusion Its shape is not natural but pecked and then sanded. I have noticed that when they are cold your fingerprints will appear for a few seconds then fade away. It’s some kind of interesting thermal property. It might be why they chose to use this kind of stone or maybe even helped in shaping them.

Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many of them. It could have been used as a percussion tool or an

Yes, that is an artifact. I have found many of them. It could have been used as a percussion tool or as an abrader. Many of the ones I have found have been made out of Basalt or quartz.
No it is not a tool, there are no signs in the pictures posted of ever being worked by man or used by man, with out signs of either or both it is just a rock.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
the statement that you have "found many just like that".... also makes it clear to most of us that this is not an artifact... as the rest of us have not.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly what T_H said..
umn.gif

I downloaded the images posted by the OP, blew them up and also reprocessed with a number of different color filters in an effort to reveal any sign of use, or being formed by a tool.

IF that rock had been used as a percussion tool or any other use, there would be signs of wear. There is nary a scratch, and the rocks natural textured surface is consistent across the entire stone. It's never percussed anything.

Imagination is great thing, but this time observational science wins.

It's a cool rock..but still just a rock.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what T_H said.. View attachment 2098048

I downloaded the images posted by the OP, blew them up and also reprocessed with a number of different color filters in an effort to reveal any sign of use, or being formed by a tool.

IF that rock had been used as a percussion tool or any other use, there would be signs of wear. There is nary a scratch, and the rocks natural textured surface is consistent across the entire stone. It's never percussed anything.

Imagination is great thing, but this time observational science wins.

It's a cool rock..but still just a rock.
:icon_thumleft: I did the same thing and could not find any signs of being worked or used.

Shovelbum

Greenie
Nov 9, 2021
No it is not a tool, there are no signs in the pictures posted of ever being worked by man or used by man, with out signs of either or both it is just a rock.
you’re forgetting that rock has been tumbled by thousands of years in glacial till. The man made signs don’t need to be as detailed and sharp as found else where. I was just looking at a point that I recently found that is now smooth. However, you can still feel the percussion hits on it. They are just harder to see.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you’re forgetting that rock has been tumbled by thousands of years in glacial till. The man made signs don’t need to be as detailed and sharp as found else where. I was just looking at a point that I recently found that is now smooth. However, you can still feel the percussion hits on it. They are just harder to see.
No I'm not forgetting, there would still be signs of man's work unless it had rolled in the surf for a few thousand years.

Sorry, everything you have posted on thread are natural stone worked only my mother nature.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
we don't doubt your enthusiasm, we all share it... but your rocks are just that. The biggest "ask" is "would I use this for "XYZ". Remember, native folk had TIME to make there tools... T-I-M-E.... They made quality stuff that had obvious use, in fact, for the most part, our modern tools made for the same purposes, are very similar.

Do keep posting, If you tell us where you are, we may be able to steer you to more advantageous sites to hunt in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread