HELP IDENTIFYING THESE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite things about these kinds of threads, is that folks will come here asking for "help" and then completely ignore our "help", and tell us exactly what they think they are.
well , sir, you're projecting. I'm not discounting anything anyone has said. Now, you can try to be witty with your reply to put me down, but i can assure you i dont fall down. I respect everyones comments. I truly do, however i wasnt putting this thread up in hopes of hearing something i wanted to hear. I knew there would be a combination of something or 1 more than the other. I am merely stating that the area i am/was in was inhabited by praying indians for thousands of years at the foot of a blue hill. Now you can google ponkapoag if you'd like so you can getter better grasp of the geographical location in which i speak of or just offer another 2 cents to make yourself feel better about yourself. Maybe my pictures werent that great but my gut tells me there is something about this particular stone that is different than the rest. Thats all im saying Sir

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it off to a good artifact grading Co. They will stamp it with Authentic or reproduction. I sent off 5 items i knew for sure were made by Native Americans, i also posted them here for some feed back wile i waited for the return of my artifact's. I think 1 or 2 members said they did not think they looked right my heart sank a little because i paid a boat load for them. Well i got my artifacts back with paperwork it mentioned museum quality but reproductions on all items.
when you say reproductions are you implying the stone is not real or ..i am somewhat confused as to what the reference means but i understand your statement as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to reply !

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amateur? We have a lot of members who have been finding and studying Indian artifacts for well over 50 years.

If you are taking your rocks to historical societies it is no wonder you are misguided, historical societies know next to nothing about Indian artifacts.

There are lots of Indian artifact shows held all over the country, I am sure there are some held close to you, take your rocks to one and see what they tell you about them, but when they tell you they are just rocks, try not to insult them by calling them amateurs.

Check this link out and you will see the years of experience by members.

Im not questioning those that do not need to be questioned. Not all historical society employees are morons. I happen to live and grew up in a town that requires very qualified people to keep up with preserving OUR american history.

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is he'll find all the other people who also incorrectly believe what they have are man made artifacts.

Search world-renowned museums' collections. Most of the top museums have searchable collections online. You will not find any that match your rocks...because they're just rocks.
Thank you Uncle!

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when you say reproductions are you implying the stone is not real or ..i am somewhat confused as to what the reference means but i understand your statement as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to reply !
Hi Jay what i am referring to is whether or not it is a "authentic artifact" made to look like the real thing. mine were made by modern hands.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some are sandstone.
That’s what I’m saying aside from a grinding stone, sandstone isn’t a tool material, it doesn’t chip in a predictable manner like flint/quartz, it doesn’t form a sharp edge when broken, and it’s not durable… if sandstone appears chipped it’s not intentional.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well , sir, you're projecting. I'm not discounting anything anyone has said. Now, you can try to be witty with your reply to put me down, but i can assure you i dont fall down. I respect everyones comments. I truly do, however i wasnt putting this thread up in hopes of hearing something i wanted to hear. I knew there would be a combination of something or 1 more than the other. I am merely stating that the area i am/was in was inhabited by praying indians for thousands of years at the foot of a blue hill. Now you can google ponkapoag if you'd like so you can getter better grasp of the geographical location in which i speak of or just offer another 2 cents to make yourself feel better about yourself. Maybe my pictures werent that great but my gut tells me there is something about this particular stone that is different than the rest. Thats all im saying Sir

And I can find clad coins at the oldest house sites in North America. It doesn't make the coins colonial.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
There are relic shows in your neck of the woods. You may have to take a road trip to get to one.

check out Indian Artifact Collectors Association of the North East which is a member of the Central States Archaeological Societies

Indian Artifact Collectors Association of the North East (IACANE) was started in 1979 and is an organization of Indian artifact collectors from the states of Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Maine.

You do not need to be a CSASI or ICANE member to attend a show, but being a member does get you the CSASI journal four times a year, any local newsletters with information on relics. These shows and publications can be great learning aids for both novice and more experienced collectors and relic hunters.

Education on your hobby is time well spent and worth any time and funds. You can meet others with similar interests and make lifelong friends.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about your items, they mostly look like natural stone to me. What I can say though, is that all of the historical societies I have dealt with are typically only worried about things from the time of written American history, aka white people history. Their knowledge of indigenous people rarely extends past knowing the name of the tribes that were originally in the area. I would not ever trust a local historical society to verify authenticity of a Native American artifact, they simply do not have the expertise.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good point, they are interested in VERY local and more recent history.

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about your items, they mostly look like natural stone to me. What I can say though, is that all of the historical societies I have dealt with are typically only worried about things from the time of written American history, aka white people history. Their knowledge of indigenous people rarely extends past knowing the name of the tribes that were originally in the area. I would not ever trust a local historical society to verify authenticity of a Native American artifact, they simply do not have the expertise.
I'm slowly finding out through everyone's comments that this is the case. You'd figure that they'd be well versed in all aspects

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are relic shows in your neck of the woods. You may have to take a road trip to get to one.

check out Indian Artifact Collectors Association of the North East which is a member of the Central States Archaeological Societies

Indian Artifact Collectors Association of the North East (IACANE) was started in 1979 and is an organization of Indian artifact collectors from the states of Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Maine.

You do not need to be a CSASI or ICANE member to attend a show, but being a member does get you the CSASI journal four times a year, any local newsletters with information on relics. These shows and publications can be great learning aids for both novice and more experienced collectors and relic hunters.

Education on your hobby is time well spent and worth any time and funds. You can meet others with similar interests and make lifelong friends.
Thank you for your helpful thoughts. I sincerely appreciate it Sir

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread