What's new

Help on button real or reproduction! Side view added

Oldrvrrat57

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2022
Messages
980
Reaction score
6,370
Golden Thread
1
Location
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this button in a jar of old buttons from my father-in-laws estate about 25 years ago and have always wondered if its authentic or a reproduction, seems to be made of lead to heavy to be pewter. 3/4" wide. Let me know what you think.
1000007880.webp
1000007878.webp
 
Can’t tell you if real or not, but it is fashioned in the “heraldic eagle” style, which were in use from 1792. In Albert’s the closest (not exact) is GI 24. In bazelon and Leigh it falls under plate 2 (good write up on pages 20-22). Most of these buttons were pewter, but there are mentions of lead. Are you certain lead vs pewter?

What is the diameter (mm), and can you provide a side/front on pic of the shank?

Someone on here better at buttons than me can probably tell you quickly real vs fake.
 
Getting over my skis a bit, but id call that a drilled shank. I’d also lean toward modern 1) because of color (or lack thereof), and 2) where the second # was supposed to be (beside the”1”, it looks fairly fresh/recent……like someone drilled the shank at a bit of an angle and got into the button back on the opposite side. Just my 2 cents, hope I’m proven wrong
 
It looks like a Wayne's Legion button, but the shank doesn't look quite right.
Thanks I was also thinking more modern also.
 
Getting over my skis a bit, but id call that a drilled shank. I’d also lean toward modern 1) because of color (or lack thereof), and 2) where the second # was supposed to be (beside the”1”, it looks fairly fresh/recent……like someone drilled the shank at a bit of an angle and got into the button back on the opposite side. Just my 2 cents, hope I’m proven wrong
Thanks I was leaning towards modern also but just thought I'd get some other opinions!
 
Intersting find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom