Help with ID on military looking pin

Bill_S

Sep 29, 2010
Went to a local park but ended up going to an area that I had detected before but did not put much time into it and never really found anything. I ended up finding some lead and a pin. I found all the lead pretty deep. Some of the smaller ones were close to 9 inches. Found the pin in the same area. Dont know if it's more modern or something from the civil war era too. I have searched on Google but cant find anything. Any ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,983

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'm dubious. They're broadswords not cavalry sabres. Crossed Broadswords are a European thing, particularly favoured by the Nazis. I could be wrong, but i don't think it's a cavalry pin.

Upvote 0

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
the letters appear to be ww2 era officers company letter colar device's, if they are 1/2 inch high , but the cal. never used broadswords that I am aware of, possibly a vet. brought home a war souvenier ?

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cav used sabers - curved swords * --straight blades = artillary type sword -swords look similar to types used during the civil war by union artillery types --nco's and officers (often used to direct fire of the cannon by pointing the sword at the target --and if they were being over ran as a close quarters weapon and sign of rank as well)

being found along wih with the lead bullet types you found might be a civil war eraish item. for collar or hat

the c would be company "c" -- with the "0" might be any one of the following 10 , 20, 30 ,40, 50,60,70,80,90th -- check your state records of units from your state see if the had a artillery group in the civil war -- that "fits" -- say like 80th artillery company "c" or such.

please "google" civil war artillery swords --you will see swords of the type used on this item -- plus the types of lead shot you are finding is of civil war era vintage.

looks like blackpowder type ammo of the civil war era --- a 69 cal round ball for a springfeild rifle -second row a 44 cal pistol ball , a 36 cal pistol ball - a conial type bullet -bottom row chewed up 44 --maybe a cleaner type bullet looks like a hole is in the base -- deformed shot conical maybe

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cant find it either. Ivan, if you have found a CW match please post. It doesnt seem to match Nazi either. :icon_scratch: We definitely require a good clear pic of the back to further along the research to solve this.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I honestly don't know the difference between a sword and a saber. But I did notice on the one hundred or so military pins I looked at, that the majority of the U.S. ones showed swords that had covered "hilt guards." Whereas the German ones did not, and instead had "T'" handles. In fact, I couldn't find a single example of a U.S. sword pin with a "T'" handle. Thus, the pin looks European to me. :dontknow:

SBB

--O-----> Examples of Both <-----I--

Attachments

• Crossed Swords American (600x470).jpg
    Crossed Swords American (600x470).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,197
  • Crossed Swords German Nazi (402x416).jpg
    Crossed Swords German Nazi (402x416).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,019
  • What Is It Sword Pin 9-2011 (438x253).jpg
    What Is It Sword Pin 9-2011 (438x253).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,771
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I take it back! I just switched search gears, re-read previous post, and discovered that the U.S. "Artillery" did in fact use a "T" handle sword. So maybe this is a clue ~ maybe it's artillery related. :help:

SBB

[ U.S. Civil War Era Artillery Sword & Sheath ]

Attachments

• Sword - U.S. Artillery.jpg
    Sword - U.S. Artillery.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,862
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I know I'm going back and forth here, but I really can't help myself. Especially when this dang ...

German Hindenberg Crossed Swords Pin

... keeps popping up and haunting me. So I figured I might as well post it and get it out of my system!

There! I feel better now. Lol :tongue3:

SBB

Attachments

• German Crossed swords with ribbon (700x462).jpg
    German Crossed swords with ribbon (700x462).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,785
Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree SBB, they look like Artillery Short Swords.
Except for the embellishment of the guard
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
trust me on this one , folks --us military (union) civil war era artillery nco or officers pin --collar or hat device (which one not sure of ) -- company "c" --the letter at bottom is the company - the uppper numbers are the unit number -- it 's got a "0" --so its the 10th , 20th ,30th,40th . 50th, 60th ,70th, 80th or 90th with the first "number" sadly being lost * looking at it closer might be 2 numbers missing due to the spacing --humm 100th or 110th or so on -- if three digit might cut way down on the possible units it might belong to - looking at the lead shot type items that were found with it --they are all us military civil war eraish type lead bullets -- so logically speaking -- in my veiw its a civil war eraish us military artillery item --since artillery swords were only issued to nco's and officers logically speaking --its most likely a officers item * --crossed cannons type devices were for the artillery enlisted men who served as gun crew.

thanks for posting the photo of it was having trobles "posting" the link / image. but I do know what I'm talking about on this one. :wink: :icon_thumright:

nice find by the way .

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
trust me on this one , folks --us military (union) civil war era artillery nco or officers pin --collar or hat device (which one not sure of ) -- company "c" --the letter at bottom is the company - the uppper numbers are the unit number -- it 's got a "0" --so its the 10th , 20th ,30th,40th . 50th, 60th ,70th, 80th or 90th with the first "number" sadly being lost * - looking at the lead shot type items that were found with it --they are all us military civil war eraish type lead bullets -- so logically speaking -- in my veiw its a civil war eraish us military artillery item --since artillery swords were only issued to nco's and officers logically speaking --its most likely a officers item * --crossed cannons type devices were for the artillery enlisted men who served as gun crew.

thanks for posting the photo of it was having trobles "posting" the link / image. but I do know what I'm talking about on this one. :wink: :icon_thumright:

nice find by the way .
Its looking like your good guess is correct and logical Ivan but its still just a good guess. A very good guess.:icon_thumright: We need proof with a link or matching pin. It cant be the only one in existance. If you have found another helpful link or image, we can help you post it.

Bill, we need all the clues we can get so please post a pic of the backside where there is usually a makers mark. It can also be dated by the hinge.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Right click on desired image.
Click on "Save Picture As..."
Save in "My Pictures" and give it a file name.
"Click on Save"

Click on Browse (bottom)
Go back to My Pictures and find file name.
Search and click on desired file
Click on "Open"
Desired image file will post

To post a link just copy and paste the url on top of page.

Highlight url and right click on "Copy"
Click on Paste at TN desired location.

Hope this helps Ivan.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I take it back! I just switched search gears, re-read previous post, and discovered that the U.S. "Artillery" did in fact use a "T" handle sword. So maybe this is a clue ~ maybe it's artillery related. :help:

SBB

[ U.S. Civil War Era Artillery Sword & Sheath ]
Looks good. :icon_thumright: But this cant be the only crossed sword Artillery hat pin known to exist. It looks like the US Model 1832 used by the US and French Artillery posted earlier by Bob.. :dontknow: http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=20556

Attachments

• sword atrillery.jpg
    sword atrillery.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,646
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions