Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My partner Dan and I were pretty stoked about checking this site out while the hunters were taking a break. Multiple research sources seemed to confirm a small 1649 land patent site on a small peninsula near the confluence of 2 creeks. The only high ground was a nice cut soybean field, and we were certain some killer finds would be made. But even though this was a textbook example in every way, we could not find a single homesite in this field, the adjacent woods, or in a couple of nearby fields that were also included in other early patents. We did manage to make a few random finds, and almost all of them were post-1700. My best and earliest find was an intact double loop asymmetrical buckle dating anywhere from 1575-1700 according to the perfect match I found in my buckle book. Other than that and a nice little decorated tombac my finds were pretty sparse for a half day hunt. Dan made the find of the day (for the 2nd hunt in a row!), and did it in the strangest way you can imagine. I'll let him fill you in on the details of that "recovery". Even though I believe reading the lay of the land is the best method for putting yourself onto a great site, I'm still going to continue to utilize these early patents to provide an additional tool that I can use to my advantage .

Attachments

• 120113a.JPG
    120113a.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 120113b.JPG
    120113b.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 120113c.JPG
    120113c.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 120113d.JPG
    120113d.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 120113e.JPG
    120113e.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 6

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No coins but still great finds. That buckle is nice piece and should look good in your curio. I think you should go back and find that home site. I find it hard to believe those are random drops.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that button with the cool design

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That button is cool!

I sure hope youns home in on some REAL NICE ones now!

God Bless

Chris

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think you'll hit the mother load soon. Great finds.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
That's just the kind of stuff we find in England :icon_thumright:. Makes you think the story behind those finds, who lost them. What drove them to go all those miles from home.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries despite not hitting any real hotspots. I'd call that a successful day.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill we had fun - sorry I could not do my patent two arms in the air - was busy trying not to drop the "situ" on hand! Had a blast - I believe that we will find a good site there - just need to explore some more.

Till the next time - and soon at that.

Dan

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No coins but still great finds. That buckle is nice piece and should look good in your curio. I think you should go back and find that home site. I find it hard to believe those are random drops.

Technically most of our finds came from one small spot that was scattered with small iron - a small patch here and there - but in no way was that a house site. Not sure what was going on in that area, but if not for that we would've found very little on this hunt.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill we had fun - sorry I could not do my patent two arms in the air - was busy trying not to drop the "situ" on hand! Had a blast - I believe that we will find a good site there - just need to explore some more.

Till the next time - and soon at that.

Dan

I'm always expecting to turn around and see those 2 arms flailing in the air at any moment. That's definitely your signature move. And one that I need to learn.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buckle was worth the trip.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always expecting to turn around and see those 2 arms flailing in the air at any moment. That's definitely your signature move. And one that I need to learn.

You have your own signature - called silent assailant and as of late the button chest poke ha ha

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You have your own signature - called silent assailant and as of late the button chest poke ha ha

That button chest poke is getting old. I need to upgrade to first class with the arm flail. Or maybe I'll come up with a new, improved move. I'll have to surprise you next time.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't wait to see what else you find from that site! Nice work Bill!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome buckle, Bill.....hey maybe a new handle for ya Bill..."Buckle Bill". Anyway great finds none the less. You have got to be close to a good site, these are items that are found where there was some activity going on. Perhaps the site is in the woods now?
Good luck,
ZDD

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome buckle, Bill.....hey maybe a new handle for ya Bill..."Buckle Bill". Anyway great finds none the less. You have got to be close to a good site, these are items that are found where there was some activity going on. Perhaps the site is in the woods now?
Good luck,
ZDD

Thanks Dave. We'll be going back at some point and expand our search area. BTW - we've already got a BuckleBoy on the forum, and I don't want to steal any of my friend's thunder. Good luck to you as well ...... Bill D.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful fancy tombac Bill. I like the other "dandy" button and the buckle as well. Just a matter of time before you guys walk into another virgin site. Your research and experience will definely get you there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread