What's new

Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver Sixpence and

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
4,508
Reaction score
975
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, T Net , Mothers Day :icon_thumleft: My Best to All The Moms out there :icon_sunny: Today was a hot one here in Jersey , close to 80 degrees . :P Near the old gristmill are a few cellar holes that I located last month . I started working around a pile of bricks that where piled up near a hole that likely was a well . The bottle diggers in my area really worked this place over . Broken bottles and junk iron has been stacked near trees . The first find today was a rat tail pewter spoon , a big one compared to most . Moments after the spoon an iron tea pot spout . I'm thinkin' :icon_scratch: must have been the kitchen , stone ware , and my first silver at this site . :o A small tea spoon with PROVE and silver smitty mark AB 8) I went into a diggin' frenzy when I found the spoons . :P First coin was a copper , holed , an has a rose on the back ??? Dug parts of a wood stove . The kitchen was cookin' two more green discs ,1787 or 88 Jersey copper , reverse is toast and another mystery coin ?? . I dug a trench two and a half foot deep and started seeing chards , and more stoneware and glass . Another coin , this one is a black one ... silver :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: British 1757 sixpence !! Felt good to be back , an eight hour hunt yielded some decent finds . I left there covered with dirt . I hope the pics tell the rest of the story . Thanks for stopping in 8) Dawg Update on silver spoon; I checked the silversmith site and found a silversmith mark very similar to ; Andrew Billings
Preston, CT; Fishkill, NY; and Poughkeepsie, NY c. 1773-1805
Served as a captain in the Revolutionary War.
 

Attachments

  • dawg1.webp
    dawg1.webp
    172.1 KB · Views: 5,810
  • 28.webp
    28.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,526
  • 27.webp
    27.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 5,559
  • 20.webp
    20.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,579
  • 18.webp
    18.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 5,614
  • 26.webp
    26.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 5,586
  • 23.webp
    23.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 5,645
  • 22.webp
    22.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,653
  • 12.webp
    12.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 5,682
  • 33.webp
    33.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 5,679
  • 36.webp
    36.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 5,728
  • sixpence coin.webp
    sixpence coin.webp
    94 KB · Views: 5,026
Upvote 6
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

About as good as it gets. I vote banner! :notworthy: :headbang:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Great Finds . . . definitely a lot of history at that site!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

missed this....

In British collecting terms the 1757 Sixpence is one of the more common ones that turn up & not that valuable. But very hard to find detecting over here & must be harder to get over there (that's without mention of its above average found condition). However, its still the bonus find in my opinion with the spoon being a banner find as others have stated :hello2: My vote is in.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Got mine.....Killer Lil' Spoon :thumbsup:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

You have been busy. The silver six is sweet but the spoon is even sweeter. Dawg that is one killer day. Congrats... Arty
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

:laughing9:Sixpence is awesome ...early American silver spoon is STELLAR!! Only place I've seen one is in the museum of fine arts in Boston! :help:Banner ...nice finds brother Dawg!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

I don't know how I missed this one. :notworthy:

Awesome Finds! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Congratulations Dawg :headbang: the spoon is a display centerpiece for sure :o
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Very glad to see the spoon up top!! :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Congratulations on making the BANNER man! :hello2:
You deserved it with those amazing finds! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Sweet finds...and better late than never on the banner!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

index.php


So the enormous vines and small trees mark the edges of this hole? The leaf litter is in the slight depression where its at...? I am very interested in being able to spot these things. I have located a few but it seems each one is different but the same in terms of being able to notice them on the forest floor.
Your little spoon is awesome! American silver is great stuff to find, congrats! I like all those coins and even the kettle spout is impressive to me.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Congrats on an awesome day and on the banner!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: Thoise colonial English silver coins don;t seem to show often, more spanish reales seem to be found, so congrats on a rare dig!!! Awesome and unique spoon as well and congrats on the banner!! :hello2:
That rose copper may be a William Wood Rosa Americana coin?....early 1700's

http://coinauctionshelp.com/coinageofwilliamwood-rosaamericanacoins.html
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

I missed this post, but you do seem to have missed to many finds!

The blank brown copper looks like it has the profile of Irish George III.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Finally. Congrats again for the banner, dawg! Where it belongs: at the top!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

WAY TO GO DAWG!!!
Congrats on a well deserved banner find. :hello2:
That spoon is so cool.
-MM-
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Tuberale said:
Finally. Congrats again for the banner, dawg! Where it belongs: at the top!
:o :o :o :o I gave up on this spoon but Thanks to " ALL " who didn't and voted , " the Captain Andrew Billing's spoon " rose to the top.... I still can't believe it is there !! :icon_thumleft: To all the relic hunters " A Relic " makes Banner :occasion14: dawg
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

GL said:
index.php


So the enormous vines and small trees mark the edges of this hole? The leaf litter is in the slight depression where its at...? I am very interested in being able to spot these things. I have located a few but it seems each one is different but the same in terms of being able to notice them on the forest floor.
Your little spoon is awesome! American silver is great stuff to find, congrats! I like all those coins and even the kettle spout is impressive to me.
Most know this but for those who do not , Depressions , old vines , debris fields are all you have to go on in a lot of places .... research than search is key . The kettle spout and the rat tail spoon are incredible to see in person . They were part of this families everyday life many years ago and to see these after buried for decades is a thrill . HH Dawg
 

Attachments

  • cmd 017.webp
    cmd 017.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 3,277
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

You cant get a better Colonial hunt then that :headbang: great old salt spoon and 1757 silver coin :thumbsup: Looks good on the top Congrats Jim
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

JW15 said:
Congrats on such a successful hunt and for such an awesome coin! :headbang:
Thanks :icon_thumleft:
artyfacts said:
You have been busy. The silver six is sweet but the spoon is even sweeter. Dawg that is one killer day. Congrats... Arty
Thanks Arty 8) 8)
stevepeach29 said:
:laughing9:Sixpence is awesome ...early American silver spoon is STELLAR!! Only place I've seen one is in the museum of fine arts in Boston! :help:Banner ...nice finds brother Dawg!
Thanks brother Steve , Justin, Daren, and Kira , a Mother's Day find :icon_sunny: gotta like that !!! bro :angel7:
Lookn4Seated said:
I don't know how I missed this one. :notworthy:

Awesome Finds! :thumbsup:
:icon_thumleft:
umrgolf said:
Congratulations Dawg :headbang: the spoon is a display centerpiece for sure :o
Jeff :o umrgolf , your help is most appreciated and Many Thanks to the mods Jeff PA, steelheadwill , civilman1, Tuberale , birdman , CRUSADER, stevepeach29 , Buck, MR , Quindy , Sentinel ,MM , IP, Dave, Mainedigger , Argentium , Steve :icon_scratch: sorry I can't get you all but Best to you I will display this one ,
Iron Patch said:
I missed this post, but you do seem to have missed to many finds!

The blank brown copper looks like it has the profile of Irish George III.
sure looks like George , faint but can be seen . Thanks IP :icon_thumleft: :sunny:
ModernMiner said:
WAY TO GO DAWG!!!
Congrats on a well deserved banner find. :hello2:
That spoon is so cool.
-MM-
Tuberale said:
Finally. Congrats again for the banner, dawg! Where it belongs: at the top!
Tuberale Captain's ancestors & Poughkeepsie, NY will be proud his spoon can be seen again :o :o
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom