What's new

Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver Sixpence and

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
4,508
Reaction score
975
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, T Net , Mothers Day :icon_thumleft: My Best to All The Moms out there :icon_sunny: Today was a hot one here in Jersey , close to 80 degrees . :P Near the old gristmill are a few cellar holes that I located last month . I started working around a pile of bricks that where piled up near a hole that likely was a well . The bottle diggers in my area really worked this place over . Broken bottles and junk iron has been stacked near trees . The first find today was a rat tail pewter spoon , a big one compared to most . Moments after the spoon an iron tea pot spout . I'm thinkin' :icon_scratch: must have been the kitchen , stone ware , and my first silver at this site . :o A small tea spoon with PROVE and silver smitty mark AB 8) I went into a diggin' frenzy when I found the spoons . :P First coin was a copper , holed , an has a rose on the back ??? Dug parts of a wood stove . The kitchen was cookin' two more green discs ,1787 or 88 Jersey copper , reverse is toast and another mystery coin ?? . I dug a trench two and a half foot deep and started seeing chards , and more stoneware and glass . Another coin , this one is a black one ... silver :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: British 1757 sixpence !! Felt good to be back , an eight hour hunt yielded some decent finds . I left there covered with dirt . I hope the pics tell the rest of the story . Thanks for stopping in 8) Dawg Update on silver spoon; I checked the silversmith site and found a silversmith mark very similar to ; Andrew Billings
Preston, CT; Fishkill, NY; and Poughkeepsie, NY c. 1773-1805
Served as a captain in the Revolutionary War.
 

Attachments

  • dawg1.webp
    dawg1.webp
    172.1 KB · Views: 5,810
  • 28.webp
    28.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,526
  • 27.webp
    27.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 5,559
  • 20.webp
    20.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,579
  • 18.webp
    18.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 5,614
  • 26.webp
    26.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 5,586
  • 23.webp
    23.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 5,645
  • 22.webp
    22.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,653
  • 12.webp
    12.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 5,682
  • 33.webp
    33.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 5,679
  • 36.webp
    36.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 5,728
  • sixpence coin.webp
    sixpence coin.webp
    94 KB · Views: 5,026
Upvote 6
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

congrats on the banner, Dawg.
heck of a day you had there!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

CMDiamonddawg said:
Finally. Congrats again for the banner, dawg! Where it belongs: at the top!
Tuberale Poughkeepsie, NY will be proud his spoon can be seen again :o :o
[/quote]
Does that mean you intend to donate it to a Poughkeepsie, NY museum? Very Cool!

BTW, are those grape vines in the photos? If so, quite old.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

That spoon is one of the coolest finds I've seen. Especially since you ID'd the silversmith. Really, really cool find.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Awesome dig! Great history there
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

What an amazing variety of stunning finds! :notworthy: If that had'a been me digging there and finding that stuff, after waking up from a lengthy fainting spell, :P :D I would be researching the initials on the front of the spoon as well. :icon_thumright: Just such exciting finds, Dawg! And def banner worthy! :icon_pirat:
Many congrats to ya!
Nana :hello:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

:wav: BANNER, Congrats buddy! :wav:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Congrats Dawg :hello2:
Took a while, but these fantastic finds are looking great up there !
Keep em coming :hello:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Awesome finds dude!!!! :headbang:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

:) The Sixpense is awesome...the spoon is STELLAR!!! The only one I've seen was in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston! Great Mother's Day finds,,,good job Brother Dawg! Great to see up on the Banner!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

sorry i missed this post dawg.WOW! amazing stuff and congrats! wish all of our sites had that much open area to swing freely on.awesome job man! :thumbsup: 2 thumbs up :thumbsup:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

dwayne sueño said:
congrats on the banner, Dawg.
heck of a day you had there!
Thanks , dwayne :headbang: thanks for stopping in to check out my stuff ...have a good one !
rtde3 said:
"They were part of this families everyday life many years ago and to see these after buried for decades is a thrill . HH Dawg "

That's what it's all about Dawg!
Congrats on all the finds And making banner! :thumbsup:
see anything you wanna trade fer Rob :icon_sunny: gold looks great :headbang: Thanks man
Tuberale said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Finally. Congrats again for the banner, dawg! Where it belongs: at the top!
Tuberale Poughkeepsie, NY will be proud his spoon can be seen again :o :o
Does that mean you intend to donate it to a Poughkeepsie, NY museum? Very Cool!

BTW, are those grape vines in the photos? If so, quite old.
[/quote] :dontknow: Not sure , the spoon may stay in Jersey , but ya never know :icon_scratch: grape vines are of the centuries old size .....huge . Thanks for your comment Tuberale :thumbsup: I would be interested hearing about your being a relative to the REV WAR soldier /silversmith :o that's wild
Skrimpy said:
That spoon is one of the coolest finds I've seen. Especially since you ID'd the silversmith. Really, really cool find.
Thanks Skrimpy and Welcome to the odayys forum , I will watch out for your threads , :icon_pirat:
timbobwey said:
Awesome dig! Great history there
Glad you like them ! I try :sunny:
Nana40 said:
What an amazing variety of stunning finds! :notworthy: If that had'a been me digging there and finding that stuff, after waking up from a lengthy fainting spell, :P :D I would be researching the initials on the front of the spoon as well. :icon_thumright: Just such exciting finds, Dawg! And def banner worthy! :icon_pirat:
Many congrats to ya!
Nana :hello:
Hi Nana ,pass out :laughing7: I get delusional sometimes after a good one :idea1: I get weird and think there are more , dig deeper , dig over here , kinda like get too excited :o funny actually because I usually burn out trying way too hard and hurry. Running fast is not a good thing for faint sounds . This one you must concentrate on the sounds of the the detector ...no visual display on old school Fisher 1265 X ...just different tones . Found a ton of stuff with the old girl !! Initials would be tough without record of sale from back then . This winter when things get slow I may , right now I have limited time left before too many tourists move in the area for the summer. Summer 2011 is close 8) :icon_sunny: Have a Great Memorial Day weekend to ALL and "Please Remember" All The Fallen Brave Men and Women of Our Armed Forces , Past and Present :icon_salut: Be Careful and Enjoy your Freedom !! Thanks for a Banner TN :hello2: Thousands of lookers must be worthwhile :o I am enjoying this because it may be another long time before Getting back. 8)
{Sentinel} said:
:wav: BANNER, Congrats buddy! :wav:
Josh , how ya doin bud , I think I see a dawg find up top :dontknow: nah ,,, must be dreaming again ??? your about due for a plate or something spectacular , I know it :o Thanks J man 8) 8)
steelheadwill said:
Congrats Dawg :hello2:
Took a while, but these fantastic finds are looking great up there !
Keep em coming :hello:
Many Thanks H :icon_pirat: a year of digging junk and all of a sudden a non stinker Thanks to All of the supportesr during my mill hunt days , next one should be interesting :laughing7: stay tuned & Thanks Again for the kind words and inspiration :thumbsup: Dawg
allen said:
congrats on making the banner, those
sweet finds deserved to be up there !
Thanks Allen .... Every one that hunts over 10 hours a week and works 48 + deserves to be up there Best Summer Hunt are heading our way ! Enjoy :icon_sunny: 8) 8) dawg
Kieth-Tx said:
Awesome finds dude!!!! :headbang:
Thanks Kieth-Tx great fish avatar , I like it 8) 8) HH and have a nice summer Lone Star State
stevepeach29 said:
:) The Sixpense is awesome...the spoon is STELLAR!!! The only one I've seen was in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston! Great Mother's Day finds,,,good job Brother Dawg! Great to see up on the Banner!
:o Fine Arts Museum in Boston :headbang: Hope you find a Mass shillings up in Bean Town , your due for one or a Tree coin , Best to you and tell the gang HI :wink: :laughing7: Thanks Bro :read2:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
sorry i missed this post dawg.WOW! amazing stuff and congrats! wish all of our sites had that much open area to swing freely on.awesome job man! :thumbsup: 2 thumbs up :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave , The only reason the clearing is not getting overgrown are the bricks ... buried broken bricks and ticks , lot of those darn Dracula &@$T@&$ Congrats on the new GW discovery , Wish our sites had GW buttons , a lot are under asphalt and concrete :dontknow: esp. Philadelphia area
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Wicked nice!
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Thats pretty cool.

That silversmith did his trade around these parts and lived and died just up the road from my place.

Neat finds and congrats on the banner. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Hey Dawg,
Great finds, Jersey is good hunting, I've found many good areas there. I like your choice of detectors, very productive.
 
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Great Hunt Dawg,
Sorry for being late to the party,(& to think back in the day everyone waited for me to get there with the good stuff :laughing7:) Anyway cool finds no doubt. :headbang: Was wondering though about your pewter spoon,as i'm trying to teach myself a little more about these older ones.I see your stem seems to have a ridge/seam along the side & was wondering if it was flat on the front side or round???
Thanks Man,
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • 33[1].webp
    33[1].webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,024
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Missed it bro , We waited but you were late , so the next time 8) ;D top is round > see pic < Thanks for stopping in , Pete
Southie E.J. said:
Wicked nice!
Thanks , Southie E J
True_Metal said:
Thats pretty cool.

That silversmith did his trade around these parts and lived and died just up the road from my place.

Neat finds and congrats on the banner. :icon_thumleft:
PM ed ya True Metal , and hope the move went well , a week sooner and I could have had pictures of Captain Billings homested and possibly a picture of his final resting place ,, Old Christ Church Cemetary , Market Street , Billings, Major Andrew, d. 1808, Apr. 28, a. 64 y.:( a TN member , bergie , lives somewhere around that area . Hey Bergie are ya out there :hello:
usaranger said:
Hey Dawg,
Great finds, Jersey is good hunting, I've found many good areas there. I like your choice of detectors, very productive.
Hi USA Ranger , you have a few ... they are relic finders , proven time and time again to get it done . Thanks man :hello: dawg 8) 8) 8) Thank You :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :hello: Fellow Diggers 12,000 views :o Best to You All for A Successful 2011 :icon_sunny: Dawg
 

Attachments

  • washington 040.webp
    washington 040.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 930
  • washington 041.webp
    washington 041.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 944
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

Thanks Much man. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: I'll try to be on time next time. ;D :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Very impressive :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom