What's new

How do I sell my wife on this hobby?? (not the word I really want to use)

Start saving all your change - in a few short months you will have enough for a much better detector than the low end BH.

Hubby got me a BH for Christmas last year. I loved MDing so much that I upgraded to the ACE250 within 2 months and tripled my coin and jewelry counts. He was not terribly happy about that, but I used my spare change to buy it, and my son uses the BH. All is well in our family now :)
 
Some times you just have to put her in her place, set your foot down like I do and and beg like hell!
M :-* nty
 
This may not help since you are new to the hobby, but a friend of mine, that is a seasoned hunter had the same problem.

One day his wife came home from her work and began to give him a hard time about his hobby.
She told him that he should be out working a "real" job, instead of looking for lost treasure, then maybe he could afford to buy a new truck (something that he had been wanting to do).

My friend listened to her for a while and then he said to her "come with me".
She asked where they were going, and he just told her "you will see".
After a short drive, they were at their Bank.
My friend took his wife inside the vault to a safety deposit box, and opened it.
When she saw what was inside....she nearly passed out from excitement ;D
After she recovered, he told her "I can buy several trucks with this!"

Any way, I have always loved that story. Who knows, maybe you will be doing that same thing one of these days.

I hope it all works out for you,

Timberwolf
 
Do you live close enough to come to the LBH even if you cant take off work maybe come on the weekend bring the wife if you can, and see how much fun everyone has see the finds from the hunt hear the stories and meet everyone thats there and if shes there she can meet the A$$ group if anyone can talk her into letting you get a detector THEY CAN!!!

Some of them might have felt like her before!

So it would be worth the try! And at the very least you all would have fun!
 
If you guys are tight on money, then I can understand her viewpoint, in which case, you would actually find enough clad within a year or two to repay the detector. Just don't get a BH, they use those expensive 9Volts. Get something that uses AA's. If money is not the issue, personally and with all due respect, I would not put my hobbies or similar to the side for someone's selfish reasoning.

Best,
Ricardo
 
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

...But at least I got my 2cents in there! ;D

I suppose, all significant financial decisions of the household should be at least discussed...
All circumstances are different.

It is more difficult to pay for an expensive machine, than an inexpensive one.
Cash outlay in a chunk is quite a bit more spectacular than paying the minimum monthly on the shoe bill.

It might be best to pass on that First Texas F75 @ $1100 for the moment and get a brand new Tesoro Compadre for $151 with a lifetime warranty. The other half will be very impressed that you are such a wise shopper. She will REALLY enjoy when you bring home a ring for her, from a geocaching trip! :)

Pocket, you might have a look over at the Tesoro forum... They are becoming very impressed with performance of the Compadre and are prepared to show anyone why.

HH
rmptr
 
Say nothing stash cash get detector say it cost a fraction of what it did and that should do it.
 
did I mention buy gold and claim to have found it and give it to her thats what my pal said of course I didnt listen
 
I say it again DO NOT LIE TO HER, you can't go hunting with her pi$$ed at you each time it could make your life misrible, work on it there is plenty of advice here and everyone is really trying to help!
 
Figure out how many hours of overtime it will take to pay for it and do the OT. That way it does not come out of the house money.

Should be fine then....
 
Your wife sounds like she is very wise. It takes someone to manage the money in the family. Be thankful that she is this way.
Between my wife and I, my wife is the real cheap responsible one with money. She has control of the money which is a very good thing. I am not very good with money as when I see something I really want, I will buy it right then... or I used to be this way. This is the reason I don't have any credit cards anymore. I can't afford to have credit cards... or even a check book. I admit that I did have a huge problem with buying things that I wanted. My wife can go forever without buying anything. This is a blessing because I couldn't even imagine both of us spending like I can if given the chance. I don't make large purchases without discussing it with her. To me this is disrespectful and it would more than likely put us in the hole. Our yearly income is really sad. In fact most folks could not make it on what we bring home in a year. I am fortunate that my wife knows how to manage and that we have both made some very good once in a lifetime purchases. I am lucky to have a frugle responsible wife like I have.

My hobbies include:
Duck hunting, fishing, decoy carving, fly tying, MDing, Coin Roll Hunting, map collecting, historical research, arrowhead hunting, painting and video games. I just got a Tesoro Silver uMax and a Garmin eTrax Legend HCx. Sometime in the near future I want to get into wildlife photography.... not the small stuff either, I want a nice digital SLR camera body with 100-400 MM lens. Alot of my hobbies paid for themselves when I was able to do them consistantly.


I can't tell you how to get that detector or how you can persuade her either. It is good that you respect her enough to not go out and just buy what you want without talking to her first. I have alot of friends that will do this and they are all so far in debt that they will never see the light of day.
I save whatever I can when I can. When I break a dollar I save up my change. The stuff adds up pretty quick. I am usually able to buy a nice purchase when I cash in at the end of the year.
 
SwampHunter said:
Your wife sounds like she is very wise. It takes someone to manage the money in the family. Be thankful that she is this way.
Between my wife and I, my wife is the real cheap responsible one with money. She has control of the money which is a very good thing. I am not very good with money as when I see something I really want, I will buy it right then... or I used to be this way. This is the reason I don't have any credit cards anymore. I can't afford to have credit cards... or even a check book. I admit that I did have a huge problem with buying things that I wanted. My wife can go forever without buying anything. This is a blessing because I couldn't even imagine both of us spending like I can if given the chance. I don't make large purchases without discussing it with her. To me this is disrespectful and it would more than likely put us in the hole. Our yearly income is really sad. In fact most folks could not make it on what we bring home in a year. I am fortunate that my wife knows how to manage and that we have both made some very good once in a lifetime purchases. I am lucky to have a frugle responsible wife like I have.

My hobbies include:
Duck hunting, fishing, decoy carving, fly tying, MDing, Coin Roll Hunting, map collecting, historical research, arrowhead hunting, painting and video games. I just got a Tesoro Silver uMax and a Garmin eTrax Legend HCx. Sometime in the near future I want to get into wildlife photography.... not the small stuff either, I want a nice digital SLR camera body with 100-400 MM lens. Alot of my hobbies paid for themselves when I was able to do them consistantly.


I can't tell you how to get that detector or how you can persuade her either. It is good that you respect her enough to not go out and just buy what you want without talking to her first. I have alot of friends that will do this and they are all so far in debt that they will never see the light of day.
I save whatever I can when I can. When I break a dollar I save up my change. The stuff adds up pretty quick. I am usually able to buy a nice purchase when I cash in at the end of the year.
Lol
 
Swamp Hunter has the right idea :)

I would never recommend that you lie to your wife, or be dishonest with her in any way.
If you love her and respect her, then you should never lie to her.
A lie can and will (eventually), ruin a relationship.

A metal detector is not worth that ;)

TW
 
My wife's not into detecting either, although she did secretly and out of the goodness of her heart buy me one of those little Titan 1000's from Kellyco a few years back when I was out of a machine and talkin' about getting one. It's not a bad little machine, I let my son use it now when we go. I had to get me a whites, that's what I really wanted. Of course I was genuinely touched that she'd do such a thing and I used it alot when she first got it for me.

She say's "if the diggin wasn't so hard maybe like at the Beach" hint hint" she'd like to detect with me.

As for your wife's friend at work with the no metal detecting xhubby, you gotta watch out for such negative influences, some people are like human hurricanes just lookin' for something to destroy. If you're a praying man, remember to pray for your relationship with your wife.

It's good to do a reality and priority check from time to time to help keep you grounded.

The good book says, "entrust your ways to the Lord, and he will direct your paths."

Peace Brother

KirkTN
 
Maybe you can get your wife to have her friend give you the one they are not using anymore to use for starts or buy it real cheap. I would also look as others said yard sales and thrift stores. I bought a Whites 5900 Pro for 10 bucks at one once, a older but great machine. You can spend a lot of money on a machine and your personal finances are not my business but I would not buy something I can't afford. Family needs always comes first. I also recommend you look at the "ace" machines they go for the same costs as a bounty hunter and much better quality.

I know I know a white's guy recommended an "ACE" lol hold the presses this is front page news. lol
 
I see who ware the pants.. :-\
 
Mudd,

I do :)

TW
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom